Planet Fitness Weight Lifting Questions

Options
Hello Everyone! I have been working out since November 2018 I have just been doing cardio at the gym. I would like to start lifting weights to feel stronger and tone my muscles. I have about 50-60 pounds more to lose and I feel like this is a good time to start incorporating some weights. My problem is I am a complete newbie when it comes to that sort of work outs. Planet Fitness offers a full body circuit, since I am a complete noob I was considering starting doing these machines daily.
has anyone done these machines daily and seen results? or should I try to find a workout using dumbbells and the cable machines?

Replies

• Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer more of the free weights (and Planet Fitness doesn't have a ton), but I've definitely seen results using machines. The 30 minute circuit room thing might be a good place to start to get you used to using machines.

I'd suggest you get with one of the PF trainers to see what they suggest... or I just got an email a few moments ago that PF has a new app that has workout suggestions in it?

I love doing a program called Thick Thighs Save Lives by Constantly Varied Gear, however a lot of it can't be done at Planet Fitness because of the free weights it requires.

Regardless of how you go - congrats for being ready to add strength training in! ANY lifting/muscle building will give you better results than just cardio <3
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I was a PF member for years. Ask at your club about the orientation they offer on the machines. Some clubs are now even offering "classes" that teach you some basic circuits, etc, on the machines. Could be really helpful for you.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has several free full body workouts. Lift for hypertrophy no matter what your goals are. Always look to increase reps or weights.

**edit** lost workout buddy due to injury. Currently bulking using dumbbells and cables. Most lifts can be done with bells and kettlebells. Just takes a little change in tech.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Great plan to start strength training. Machines are ok. It would be best to start 2-3x week rather than daily. Your body needs time to adapt to the new routine and your muscles need time to recover between weight workouts.
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend that you schedule a Design Your Own Program with your Planet Fitness Personal Trainer. Access to the personal trainer is part of your membership. I have been a PF member since Jan of 2017. I've been blessed to have one of the BEST trainers ever. PF offers classes with the Trainer as well. This is a great oppurtunity for them to teach you the ins and outs around the gym... the classes are dedicated to specific body workouts... For example there is a class for Chest, Back, Abs, Legs, etc. There is a 360 which is a full body class and targets all the muscle groups. Then you have the Circuit Room that is guided by your Personal Trainer in a class as well. While PF is set up differently from other gyms with 'more free weights' there is a lot of opportunities for you to build/strengthen and tone up. If nothing else, just sign up for one class and give it a Go. It just might be what you're looking for. :) Best of Luck!!
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,314 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I go to PF. I use free weights and machines (usually both in the same workout), it just depends on what exercises I want to do. I love learning new exercise to break things up. Since you are new, you may want start with machines. They will guide your form and require less balance and core than free weights. When you get comfortable with your form and want to move to free weights, check out bodybuilding.com for instructions on form and beginning workout strategies. Another great option is hiring a trainer for 1 or 2 sessions to get the form down. Yes, I said form again. Without proper form you will injure yourself before you sculpt yourself. Oh and don't forget body weight exercises. Planks are killer and nothing says strong like some wide grip pull ups (they have a weight assist machine to help you get there).

Things to avoid:
    • Doing so much cardio in the beginning that you wear yourself out before you lift. I do like 5 hard minutes on the rower before I lift to warm up, then 20-30 minutes of cardio after I lift if I'm not dead. On leg days I usually just ride the bike after. On arm days I tend to use the arc trainer or the elliptical. If your heart rate isn't elevated, you aren't doing it right. You shouldn't be able to carry on a normal conversation, just a broken conversation with some light panting in between words.
    • Doing 9000 reps with light weights. This will do very little for toning your body, When they say lift heavy, they mean heavy. There are different ways to do it, I like 3 sets of 5 reps with a 60 - 90 sec break between sets (it is a good middle ground, but there are other heavy programs like 5,3,1). The first 5 should be hard. The next 5 you should struggle to get the last couple. The last 5 you should not be able to complete. Not making your lifts is not a sign of weakness, it means you are pushing yourself to your limits. If you pick the wrong weight, change it. This is your workout. If I can't get at least 3 of my last 5, even if it's hard, I will lower the weight and redo that last 5.
    • Don't be more concerned with how you look than you are about what you're there for.
    • Don't compare what you are lifting to what Jane is lifting. Jane is doing her own thing and not concerned with you.
    • Don't beat yourself up if you miss a day, or a week, or a month, just get back at it.
    • Do not work a body part that is injured. There is a good sore, muscle soreness, and there is a bad sore like joint, tendon or muscle damage. You can work through muscle soreness as long as it isn't severe (then take a day). Working through injury just makes the injury worse and increases your time away from the gym and pushes you further from your goals.
    • Don't let the free weights or the guys with giant muscles intimidate you. Those guys can be your best resource and most of them are ridiculously nice and willing to answer a question. That being said, they don't want to chat, they want to workout.
    • Don't forget to engage your core when you lift. This is crazy important!

I do lift daily (5 days a week), and to avoid muscle fatigue I alternate body parts. I do upper body and abs M,W,F and lower body and abs T,H. Abs are a big muscle group as long as you aren't crazy sore you can work them daily.

Example MWF:
    I always start with 5 minutes or 500m on the rower, then go over to the weight assist machine to do pullups and dips. The more weight you put on the more it lightens your load. Remember if you aren't working, it's not working. Don't sell yourself short. I skip the 60 sec rest between each set because I'm working 2 different muscles. 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 60s rest, repeat x 2.

Then over to the free weight section for dumbbell chest press and bicep curls. Same as before 5CP, 5BC, 60sec rest, repeat x 2.

Then over to the cable sets for Lat pull downs and tricep pull downs.

Back to the machines for chest flies and biceps

Reverse Flies with planks (30 - 60sec of whatever variation you feel like. You can even do them on your knees)

More abs. I do 3 sets of 10: Roman Chair leg or knee lifts, Russian Twist with ot without weight, incline situps with a twist and I like the twisty ab machine they have at PF.

Finish 20 minutes on the arc trainer. I can't go as hard as I would have before I lifted, but my body is still burning calories.

All told I'm in for about 1:15. Some days I just don't have it together and I cut my workout in half, but typically if I get there I get it done.

This is just an example. You'll notice I do most body parts twice. Until you get familiar with the gym, just pick an exercise and do it, maybe try the other one the next time you work out. This is far from being the ultimate guide to newbie lifting, it is just what has worked for me. Sorry it's wordy, hope it helps.

• ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I go to PF. I use free weights and machines (usually both in the same workout), it just depends on what exercises I want to do. I love learning new exercise to break things up. Since you are new, you may want start with machines. They will guide your form and require less balance and core than free weights. When you get comfortable with your form and want to move to free weights, check out bodybuilding.com for instructions on form and beginning workout strategies. Another great option is hiring a trainer for 1 or 2 sessions to get the form down. Yes, I said form again. Without proper form you will injure yourself before you sculpt yourself. Oh and don't forget body weight exercises. Planks are killer and nothing says strong like some wide grip pull ups (they have a weight assist machine to help you get there).

Things to avoid:
    • Doing so much cardio in the beginning that you wear yourself out before you lift. I do like 5 hard minutes on the rower before I lift to warm up, then 20-30 minutes of cardio after I lift if I'm not dead. On leg days I usually just ride the bike after. On arm days I tend to use the arc trainer or the elliptical. If your heart rate isn't elevated, you aren't doing it right. You shouldn't be able to carry on a normal conversation, just a broken conversation with some light panting in between words.
    • Doing 9000 reps with light weights. This will do very little for toning your body, When they say lift heavy, they mean heavy. There are different ways to do it, I like 3 sets of 5 reps with a 60 - 90 sec break between sets (it is a good middle ground, but there are other heavy programs like 5,3,1). The first 5 should be hard. The next 5 you should struggle to get the last couple. The last 5 you should not be able to complete. Not making your lifts is not a sign of weakness, it means you are pushing yourself to your limits. If you pick the wrong weight, change it. This is your workout. If I can't get at least 3 of my last 5, even if it's hard, I will lower the weight and redo that last 5.
    • Don't be more concerned with how you look than you are about what you're there for.
    • Don't compare what you are lifting to what Jane is lifting. Jane is doing her own thing and not concerned with you.
    • Don't beat yourself up if you miss a day, or a week, or a month, just get back at it.
    • Do not work a body part that is injured. There is a good sore, muscle soreness, and there is a bad sore like joint, tendon or muscle damage. You can work through muscle soreness as long as it isn't severe (then take a day). Working through injury just makes the injury worse and increases your time away from the gym and pushes you further from your goals.
    • Don't let the free weights or the guys with giant muscles intimidate you. Those guys can be your best resource and most of them are ridiculously nice and willing to answer a question. That being said, they don't want to chat, they want to workout.

I do lift daily (5 days a week), and to avoid muscle fatigue I alternate body parts. I do upper body and abs M,W,F and lower body and abs T,H. Abs are a big muscle group as long as you aren't crazy sore you can work them daily.

Example MWF:
    I always start with 5 minutes or 500m on the rower, then go over to the weight assist machine to do pullups and dips. The more weight you put on the more it lightens your load. Remember if you aren't working, it's not working. Don't sell yourself short. I skip the 60 sec rest between each set because I'm working 2 different muscles. 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 60s rest, repeat x 2.

Then over to the free weight section for dumbbell chest press and bicep curls. Same as before 5CP, 5BC, 60sec rest, repeat x 2.

Then over to the cable sets for Lat pull downs and tricep pull downs.

Back to the machines for chest flies and biceps

Reverse Flies with planks (30 - 60sec of whatever variation you feel like. You can even do them on your knees)

More abs. I do 3 sets of 10: Roman Chair leg or knee lifts, Russian Twist with ot without weight, incline situps with a twist and I like the twisty ab machine they have at PF.

Finish 20 minutes on the arc trainer. I can't go as hard as I would have before I lifted, but my body is still burning calories.

All told I'm in for about 1:15. Some days I just don't have it together and I cut my workout in half, but typically if I get there I get it done.

This is just an example. You'll notice I do most body parts twice. Until you get familiar with the gym, just pick an exercise and do it, maybe try the other one the next time you work out. This is far from being the ultimate guide to newbie lifting, it is just what has worked for me. Sorry it's wordy, hope it helps.

Very good info she has offered here!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    kksmom1789 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone! I have been working out since November 2018 I have just been doing cardio at the gym. I would like to start lifting weights to feel stronger and tone my muscles. I have about 50-60 pounds more to lose and I feel like this is a good time to start incorporating some weights. My problem is I am a complete newbie when it comes to that sort of work outs. Planet Fitness offers a full body circuit, since I am a complete noob I was considering starting doing these machines daily.
    has anyone done these machines daily and seen results? or should I try to find a workout using dumbbells and the cable machines?

Like others have said, you don't want to do the full body circuit daily.

I suggest you look into this:
    I would highly recommend that you schedule a Design Your Own Program with your Planet Fitness Personal Trainer. Access to the personal trainer is part of your membership. I have been a PF member since Jan of 2017. I've been blessed to have one of the BEST trainers ever. PF offers classes with the Trainer as well. This is a great oppurtunity for them to teach you the ins and outs around the gym... the classes are dedicated to specific body workouts... For example there is a class for Chest, Back, Abs, Legs, etc. There is a 360 which is a full body class and targets all the muscle groups. Then you have the Circuit Room that is guided by your Personal Trainer in a class as well. While PF is set up differently from other gyms with 'more free weights' there is a lot of opportunities for you to build/strengthen and tone up. If nothing else, just sign up for one class and give it a Go. It just might be what you're looking for. :) Best of Luck!!
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    The circuit was a good way for me to get comfortable with just being in the gym, doing unfamiliar things. And its absolutely fine to do just that, I see lots of people just doing the circuit.

But I've had more fun since I signed up with a personal trainer. Yesterday she hopped on the tank and made me run her back and forth across the room. Lucky me, she's tiny. XD

She also stops me from pushing too hard. I've a history of stubbornly refusing to give myself a break and ending up injured, and THAT is a tale as old as time for lots of people.