Acid reflux gone?

Options
2»

Replies

• echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My acid reflux came to an abrupt halt the *first* day I started counting calories.

I used to buy antacid bottles 3 at a time. I never need them anymore.

That may have been a bigger victory than my weight loss.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    My GERD began about 2 years ago. I was only just in overweight BMI - not related to weight at all, in my case. I'm not expecting any improvement losing 15-20 lbs. I think I am stuck with it. I take Dexilant because Omeprazole didn't help enough, but I still need Tums and Gaviscon most days. I did a full elimination diet (dropped to one food only and added new foods one at a time). There are many foods (coffee, carbonated beverages, spicy, citrus, fried, etc) that I don't believe I will ever eat again.

But, for the vast majority of reflux sufferers, losing weight will improve or eliminate the problem. Good luck!
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    This is one reason I tell people who say "you don't need to lose weight". I tell them that I don't want to get cancer of the esophagus.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Mine has gone away from weight loss and I stopped eating fiber and fat at night. Now I eat a snack or nothing at all.

That is assuming it has gone away. My doctor says that losing the symptoms can be a sign of something worse. I will know in a few weeks.
  • SoCalBeachWifeMom
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Mine has gone away from weight loss and I stopped eating fiber and fat at night. Now I eat a snack or nothing at all.

That is assuming it has gone away. My doctor says that losing the symptoms can be a sign of something worse. I will know in a few weeks.

Doctors can say some weird stuff. I am pretty sure its just gone. My nurse told me id have it the rest of my life, such a naysayer right ? Im still dealing with it after a month but hoping itll go away and never return.
  • SoCalBeachWifeMom
    Options
    rhaiin wrote: »
    I get acid reflux now that I'm heavier than I've ever been. I wonder if losing weight will help me with this. I just assumed that it was because I'm getting older, I never thought that it might be related to my weight. Hopefully mine improves as I begin losing again.

I just started getting it a month ago. I was 20 pounds overweight but lost 10 pounds in the past month because im eating very small meals. Add me if youd like.
  • SoCalBeachWifeMom
    Options
    QueenInge wrote: »
    I've lost 15 lbs. since starting a healthier eating plan at the beginning of Dec. I also quit taking Prilosec which I had been taking daily for 20 yrs. I take two capfuls of apple cider vinegar (with mother) in 8 oz. of water every morning and sometimes up to 3 times a day. Research seems to show that heartburn is a lack of acid instead of too much acid so the ACV acts as a digestive aid. I was actually angry that it was so simple. Complete relief in about 3 wks. for me. It is rare to have heartburn now and when I do, I take more ACV and water. Grrr! Why was I prescribed omeprazole for 20 yrs?! Please study up on the complete digestive process and the function of the small intestine. (I enjoy watching videos by Dr. Eric Berg. Simple language with diagrams. And no, I've not bought any of his products at this time.) If you're not getting all your nutrients, and you reduce the volume of food you are eating, you are getting even less nutrients! Your body will give you cravings and problems until it gets what it needs. Get healthy to lose weight instead of the other way around. Study up, folks!

Can you please tell me if you ever felt full with acid reflux ? Ive been feeling full and my digestion seems sluggish.
  • squiffiegirl
    squiffiegirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Everyone's system is different. For me, GERD and all it's symptoms were due to not enough gastric juices rather than too much.

One multi enzyme digestive aid (Betaine as key ingredient) with each meal and GERD disappeared. I have also found it helpful to drink no liquids at mealtime. Liquids dilute stomach acids.