Headaches?

Options
Anyone experience headaches at the beginning of your journey? Specifically when first reducing your daily calorie intake. Thanks!

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    If you've changed the types of foods too quickly, headaches.

If you're dehydrated, headaches.

If you've made a drastic change in calories, headaches.

If your sleeping patterns have changed, headaches.

I highly recommend percogesic. I suffer from chronic headaches due to a genetic cervical spine fusion and it really helps. Feel better.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Electrolyte imbalance, headache.

Did you drastically drop your carbs?

Cheers, h.
  • clemandwestatl
    clemandwestatl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do not drink sodas or caffeine. Only water & coconut water here and there and a lot of it. Today is day 3 of drastically lowering my calories so I am not sure if my body just needs to get adjusted or what. I have been doing 20 hr fasts with a 4 hr feeding window on top of dropping my calories to 1500 daily. Today was my first day back in the gym so I am not sure if I need to increase my calories slightly since I’m fasting daily? Or maybe reduce my fast window? Either way the headaches are no fun.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do not drink sodas or caffeine. Only water & coconut water here and there and a lot of it. Today is day 3 of drastically lowering my calories so I am not sure if my body just needs to get adjusted or what. I have been doing 20 hr fasts with a 4 hr feeding window on top of dropping my calories to 1500 daily. Today was my first day back in the gym so I am not sure if I need to increase my calories slightly since I’m fasting daily? Or maybe reduce my fast window? Either way the headaches are no fun.

You really should not have started with a 20 hour fast.

How much weight are you trying to lose? How many calories did MFP give you for a calorie goal?

Are you eating back exercise calories?

• lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I’d say if fasting hours are giving you headaches—then you need to reduce your fasting hour window. 20 hours is a lot to go into cold turkey. And if you’re getting headaches and a lot of hunger during the fast—then you’re more likely to binge eat over 1500 or be unable to sustain over time. I don’t know your stats to know a good caloric intake for you, but 1500 might be too low (I’m a woman at 128 pounds and 5’8’ and I eat at a minimum 1550 a day)

I honestly wouldn’t start in with a dramatic calorie reduction and dramatic fast at the same time. Focus on caloric intake first and then maybe consider fasting. You also should be eating back calories burned at the gym.
  • Livhere
    Livhere Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you may not be getting enough calories. As above said, try just focusing on getting your daily calories first before you decide to fast. Remember that men need a different calorie intake than women too, so make sure you calculate your bmi to get the right amount of calories to meet your needs & goals.

My nutrtionist says a woman should never fall under 1000 calories in a day cause then our bodies will start getting sick. We need calories so our bodies can function right. Just take it slow. Good luck!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Livhere wrote: »
    It sounds to me like you may not be getting enough calories. As above said, try just focusing on getting your daily calories first before you decide to fast. Remember that men need a different calorie intake than women too, so make sure you calculate your bmi to get the right amount of calories to meet your needs & goals.

My nutrtionist says a woman should never fall under 1000 calories in a day cause then our bodies will start getting sick. We need calories so our bodies can function right. Just take it slow. Good luck!

Your nutritionist needs to add 200 calories to that daily goal. Also, you may want to find a better more qualified nutritionist or if you are in the states get a Registered Dietitian as they are actually educated where a nutritionist could be anyone who slaps that label on a business card.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Your nutritionist needs to add 200 calories to that daily goal. Also, you may want to find a better more qualified nutritionist or if you are in the states get a Registered Dietitian as they are actually educated where a nutritionist could be anyone who slaps that label on a business card.

This!!! Was literally thinking the same thing!
  • phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I get really bad headaches if I go too long without eating, my doc says a lot of ppl get hypoglycemic headaches. Idk abt your calorie goal but if you spread your eating out a little more it might help?
  • Livhere
    Livhere Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Oh don't worry! My nutritionist is certified. I got her through my clinic. She said my goal is to stay at 1300 calories a day to lose 1lb a week since I am active and to keep logging it in a food diary as I've already been doing & recommended MFP to me. She was just saying in general that if someone fell under 1000 calories they would start feeling sick like get nausea, headaches, & probably end up binge eating.