Run into Jealousy?

OAS5
OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
edited September 2019 in Success Stories
It's a weird thing with losing weight and jealousy. I'm assuming we have all run into Jealousy and sometimes people trying to sabotage weight loss.
I was the heaviest guy at work, along with another guy who was about the same size. I have lost 72-73 pounds and he is still heavy. I have gotten compliments or at least discussed my weight loss with just about everyone but this one person. He has never ever mentioned it.
I've also had people ask me to eat crappy food at work to which I say no thanks. I've had people leave chips and crappy food where I sit at work in the morning. As if BS like that was gonna work. Just a funny thing about humans. Why jealousy and sabotage? I wouldn't do that to someone.

Replies

• OAS5
    Thanks guys, I knew I want the only one. It's pretty crazy.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    About the other guy. My other guys and gals have been sometimes co-workers, sometimes family, both household and extended, and sometimes friends. The only common feature among all of them was me, talking openly about how easy it was to record my food intake with myfitnesspal. I haven't pressured anyone. Some of them were obese, some were only slightly over their ideal weight. Several of them have started their own mfp accounts, logged, learned, and done the unique struggle of improving their own lives with better health.
  • OAS5
    It's a weird thing with losing weight and jealousy. I'm assuming we have all run into Jealousy and sometimes people trying to sabotage weight loss.
    I was the heaviest guy at work, along with another guy who was about the same size. I have lost 72-73 pounds and he is still heavy. I have gotten compliments or at least discussed my weight loss with just about everyone but this one person. He has never ever mentioned it.
    I've also had people ask me to eat crappy food at work to which I say no thanks. I've had people leave chips and crappy food where I sit at work in the morning. As if BS like that was gonna work. Just a funny thing about humans. Why jealousy and sabotage? I wouldn't do that to someone.

Are you saying that the heavy person at your office is jealous, just because he hasn’t mentioned your weight loss to you? That’s quite an assumption. I never discuss any of my coworkers weight loss or gain; it’s not my business and in my opinion it’s rude to comment on acquaintances’ appearances. Doesn’t mean I’m jealous; just means that I don’t discuss those things with coworkers.

I also think it’s a little presumptuous to assume that just because people offer you work snacks, it means they are trying to sabotage you. I would need to see some more specific examples of “sabotage,” because this example you gave doesn’t suggest sabotage to me. Just politeness/friendliness.

To not even mention hey good job losing weight is a bit odd. It's not 5 pounds, it's 73 pounds, especially when everyone there has talked about it.

I have to agree with @gallicinvasion here, just because this person hasn't congratulated you on your personal loss, doesn't necessarily imply that they are jealous and is one heck of an assumption, even if other people have commented. People have very different views on what's acceptable conversation at work.

Where did I say I wanted a congratulations? All in saying is not too acknowledge it at all is kinda odd. I don't want adulation or about. It's just odd that everyone has said something except one person.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    This is probably not even relevant here, certainly doesn't sound relevant to the OP.
    But in my life, I have seen a lot of people who really changed their behavior after losing weight and then blamed others' negative reactions on jealousy. For example, people who were generally kind of frumpy (whether male or female) and suddenly started dressing in a provocative way and dating a lot of people at once or cheating on their partner...partying WAY more...things like that. I think it's natural for their friends and family to have some concern in those cases - but I think especially younger people in their twenties blame it on jealousy and "haters".

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    No, I haven't. I don't share anything with others. Our friends and family are already exhausted with weight loss talk and dieting dogma. They're really not interested in it at all. You can ask them. They don't care who's hiney is tiny. So if the jeans still fit we must acquit. Give them all a break. I keep everything to myself but I visit MFP every day and visit with others. I don't believe in fabricating medical conditions to justify dieting. That's a very slippery slope that can lead into disordered eating. I'll answer questions if they ask but they don't. So I keep my mouth shut. Some perceived jealousy may be imaginary thinking. I don't think anyone's really all that jealous of those who constantly struggle with weight. I'm not. I have compassion for them.
  • OAS5
    Guys I don't talk about losing weight everyday with people, in fact rarely and only if asked about it. I hate preachy people. Also I always tell people what worked for me probably won't work for someone else. It's kinda a plan you figure for yourself, what you like and what works for you. Kinda why I don't like following someone's plan that they made up. Dad diets either I don't like. Unless is came from a doctor I don't trust it. The plan That works for you will most likely come from within. Just my opinion.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member

Are you saying that the heavy person at your office is jealous, just because he hasn’t mentioned your weight loss to you? That’s quite an assumption. I never discuss any of my coworkers weight loss or gain; it’s not my business and in my opinion it’s rude to comment on acquaintances’ appearances. Doesn’t mean I’m jealous; just means that I don’t discuss those things with coworkers.

I also think it’s a little presumptuous to assume that just because people offer you work snacks, it means they are trying to sabotage you. I would need to see some more specific examples of “sabotage,” because this example you gave doesn’t suggest sabotage to me. Just politeness/friendliness.

To not even mention hey good job losing weight is a bit odd. It's not 5 pounds, it's 73 pounds, especially when everyone there has talked about it.

I have to agree with @gallicinvasion here, just because this person hasn't congratulated you on your personal loss, doesn't necessarily imply that they are jealous and is one heck of an assumption, even if other people have commented. People have very different views on what's acceptable conversation at work.

Where did I say I wanted a congratulations? All in saying is not too acknowledge it at all is kinda odd. I don't want adulation or about. It's just odd that everyone has said something except one person.

And that's where we differ, I don't think it's odd at all and I wouldn't automatically assume jealousy. I'd actually be more bothered personally about the compliments in a workplace.

Is he one of the people pushing snacks your way or are those the people who complimented you?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!