Tubal ligation recovery

Replies

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    IDK man, 3 days after mine and I was having a hard time carrying my infant for more than a few minutes... I'd take it easy.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    My gyn informed me that sometimes the body reacts aggressively when pelvic organs are affected. He gave me warning before my procedure that ovaries can go into shock or if I was having surgery that requires incisions(I was not, he was just stating that it happens) that blood supply can be reduced to the ovaries unintentionally and cause early menopause or hormone dysfunction. Just because not everywoman experiences it does not mean PTLS does not exist. In some way women are having issues and to discredit their experiences is not helpful. It is a legitimate health concern that obviously needs more research.
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Bumping because this is an important topic.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I tried an IUD first, hated it. Tubal ligation, no problem at all, except shoulder pain few days. Many many years ago.
  • oedipuss
    oedipuss Posts: 51 Member
    edited August 2019
    I've had a tubal ligation done and was walking like a little old lady for at least a couple of days after! As mentioned waiting for the gas they pump into your abdominal cavity to disperse is the main cause of discomfort with the obvious fact that you have been "keyholed" through the abdominal wall and prodded around internally following on its heels.
    Told not to lift anything heavy for at least 2 weeks and I certainly didn't want to and couldn't get the two scars wet either for at least 7 days so "strip washes" were in order.
    My external stitches wouldn't dissolve either and started getting annoying so I took them out myself after 14 days (I used to be a veterinary nurse and have removed more stitches than hot dinners, lol!).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,849 Member
    ChelzFit wrote: »
    I’ve been doing some more research and now I’m really second guessing having this done. With both my children I had severe post partum and it took forever to feel back to normal. My doctor said that this would not effect my hormones but after reading many women have PTLS and this scares the crap out of me!

@ChelzFit looks like you were scheduled for this for July 27. What did you end up deciding? How is it going?
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    Last year I had an emergency laparoscopic ligation for one my tubes following a rupture and was placed on medical leave for two weeks. The majority of recovery was for damage caused by the hospital’s failure to treat me the day of the rupture. Had it been treated the day of I would have been able to return to work after two or three days with reduced lifting (10h shifts on my feet as a general labourer; hardest part of returning to work was ptsd). The surgical recovery was pretty easy, and I didn’t even realize there was an extra incision until the day after I got home.
  • PiscesIntuition
    @ChelzFit Any updates?
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Hmmmm. Mine was many years ago & I guess things must have changed a lot - for me it was 2 weeks before I could consider exercise.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited September 2019
    ketsuban25 wrote: »
    PTLS doesn't exist. Hormonal changes after having a child and after coming off birth control do. People misattribute these symptoms to tubal ligation side effects. The hormones don't need the fallopian tubes to do their job. The doctor who fabricated PTLS had her license to practice revoked. I had my tubes out 6 months ago and my body hasn't noticed.

Yeah, I already miss the 'woo' button. However, it won't deter me, lol. Way to spread misinformation as if it were fact.

"However, there are some data to support the concept that in certain individuals, sterilization may result in disruption of ovarian blood or nerve supply, producing gynecologic sequelae."

As far back as the early 80s, that I am personally aware of after a quick review, there have been published papers discussing the risk of ovarian dysfunction due to blood supply disruption as the possible culprit - see the above direct quote. Between then and now, far more than "one doctor" has been the one authoring and publishing them. Have they all lost their licenses if MD/DO and/or been discredited as legit research scientists? If you want to argue yes, let's see the list of the disgraced and how it was verified. The two men who are the MD authors of the attached paper's header and earlier quote lifted directly from it would be a good place for you to start. :)

If one wants a tubal as her choice of permanent birth control, do your due diligence and insure you have a surgeon who personally believes in at least the blood supply theory and demonstrates s/he use a technique that preserves as much of it to the entire oophora (ovaries) as possible. That is about all you can do to mitigate the risk concerning this particular possible reason for to the best of your abilities/power.

Personally, since turning 40 I will never have sex with any man who is not vasectomized but that is indeed just me, lol. Especially so if I was married to him. ;)

lckopzu1i380.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,849 Member
    ketsuban25 wrote: »
    PTLS doesn't exist. Hormonal changes after having a child and after coming off birth control do. People misattribute these symptoms to tubal ligation side effects. The hormones don't need the fallopian tubes to do their job. The doctor who fabricated PTLS had her license to practice revoked. I had my tubes out 6 months ago and my body hasn't noticed.

Yeah, I already miss the 'woo' button. However, it won't deter me, lol. Way to spread misinformation as if it were fact.

"However, there are some data to support the concept that in certain individuals, sterilization may result in disruption of ovarian blood or nerve supply, producing gynecologic sequelae."

As far back as the early 80s, that I am personally aware of after a quick review, there have been published papers discussing the risk of ovarian dysfunction due to blood supply disruption as the possible culprit - see the above direct quote. Between then and now, far more than "one doctor" has been the one authoring and publishing them. Have they all lost their licenses if MD/DO and/or been discredited as legit research scientists? If you want to argue yes, let's see the list of the disgraced and how it was verified. The two men who are the MD authors of the attached paper's header and earlier quote lifted directly from it would be a good place for you to start. :)

If one wants a tubal as her choice of permanent birth control, do your due diligence and insure you have a surgeon who personally believes in at least the blood supply theory and demonstrates s/he use a technique that preserves as much of it to the entire oophora (ovaries) as possible. That is about all you can do to mitigate the risk concerning this particular possible reason for to the best of your abilities/power.

Personally, since turning 40 I will never have sex with any man who is not vasectomized but that is indeed just me, lol. Especially so if I was married to him. ;)

lckopzu1i380.png

It took me a little longer, but hooray for a partner with a vasectomy!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019
    If I can could go back in time, I wouldn't have had mine.

My doctor made it sound like an easy surgery with no complications. It sent me into early menopause. After surgery I researched it, and hormonal problems and early menopausal symptoms are common after a tubal ligation.

I wish I'd made my husband get a vasectomy instead. Because it is an easy surgery, with little down time and very, very rare side effects.
  • PiscesIntuition
    @Emmapatterson1729 How do you make a man get a vasectomy? (Serious Question)
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member

Actually, I wouldn't even ask my husband to do it. Because I'm the one who doens't want more kids - he would have a billion more if my shop was still open for business. And you just never know - I mean - who knows if we'll still be together in x amount of time?

So I wouldn't want to kitten his chances of potentially having more kids with another partner at some point just because I personally didn't want more kids.

My friend married a dude whose wife made him get a vasectomy - they weren't able to reverse it properly. They had to spend a kitten load of money on IVF due to that.

It's just not fair to ask IMO. And not just because of what happened to my friend, I already thought that before this happened to her.
  • squiffiegirl
    squiffiegirl Posts: 14 Member
    My biggest surprise was my abdomen swelling up for several days. Please come back and tell us if the procedure and recovery are as minor as your doc predicts.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019

@PiscesIntuition

My husband had offered, but because I had a lot of other health issues, plus I had a lot of complications through pregnancy, labor, etc. I took the bullet. I was already having a series of surgeries.

@Cahgetsfit

I kind of thought the same, why screw him out of more kids if we didn't work out or if I died. But tubal ligation was one of the biggest regrets of my life! Thousands spent in hormonal replacement, being late 20s in menopause.

I just wish I'd researched it before I did it. But the internet was not what it is today!

Didn't realize this was an old post. So, I hope the OP's surgery went well, no complications or side effects!!
  • sexynurse801ms
    sexynurse801ms Posts: 37 Member
    I had my tubes tied when I was 27. It's been 10 years now and I haven't had any complications. No hormonal issues, and a predictable cycle every 28 days. I was pretty sore for about 2 weeks with the gas pain being the worst.