Quinoa serving size - dry or cooked?

kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
The nutrition info is given for a 1/4 cup serving. I don’t know if this is for cooked or dry! I want to make some and divide by 7 for my meal prep but I can’t figure out how much to make. Sorry if this is dumb!

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Most grains like rice or oats would be weighed dry since they absorb water when cooking. The package nutrition panel usually states something like '1/4 cup dry' in the serving size or something similar to that.
  • snuff15ee
    snuff15ee Posts: 99 Member
    It's dry. For example, when I cook oatmeal to my specs in an instapot 1/4 cup dry equals just over a 1/2 cup cooked.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Unless it specifies cooked, it's dry.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    What everyone above said. When in doubt, look at the packaging.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Since water is naught calories it’s dry.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    edited September 2019
    Since water is naught calories it’s dry.

Err... no.

Water has zero calories, but it does have both weight and volume. So a 1/4 cup of quinoa could be either be dry, and therefore pure quinoa and high in calories, or it could be cooked, in which case a lot of it is water and it has far fewer calories.

For all foods like quinoa, rice and pasta that take on a lot of water when cooked, the DB is a mess of 'cooked' entries and 'dry' entries and a lot of them don't indicate which one they are. A lot of people have come unstuck that way! Though after a while you get a feel for which are likely to be which.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    My dr said that to me. Sorry I thought I wrote that. I asked the same thing and he told me exactly what I put. I thought I wrote “my dr said” my apologies. Having a day
  • ceiswyn
    edited September 2019
    My dr said that to me. Sorry I thought I wrote that. I asked the same thing and he told me exactly what I put. I thought I wrote “my dr said” my apologies. Having a day

Now I'm confused! Your doctor gives you advice on which MFP entries to use? And thinks that the dry and cooked entries have the same calories?!

(Also, whether 'dry' or 'cooked' is standard is something that varies by country and manufacturer. Here in the UK it's surprisingly common to get packages that only give nutritional information for cooked - something like '170g of cooked pasta' with a tiny footnote somewhere of '75g of uncooked pasta weighs approximately 170g when cooked'.)
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Thanks! It doesn’t specify anything which is why it’s confusing.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    ceiswyn wrote: »

Now I'm confused! Your doctor gives you advice on which MFP entries to use? And thinks that the dry and cooked entries have the same calories?!

(Also, whether 'dry' or 'cooked' is standard is something that varies by country and manufacturer. Here in the UK it's surprisingly common to get packages that only give nutritional information for cooked - something like '170g of cooked pasta' with a tiny footnote somewhere of '75g of uncooked pasta weighs approximately 170g when cooked'.)

No I was just randomly chatting about rice and recording it in my diary and he said always use dry weights because water has naught calories anyway. It was just a convo and not particular medical advice
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn wrote: »

No I was just randomly chatting about rice and recording it in my diary and he said always use dry weights because water has naught calories anyway. It was just a convo and not particular medical advice

Yes, but the OP isn't asking whether they should use the dry weight. They're asking how to tell whether the nutritional information given is for the dry weight, or whether it's for the cooked weight. Because weighing dry but mistakenly using nutritional info for cooked is how a good few dieters have come a cropper.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Ohhhh no worries
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Dry weight. ☺
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    kiela64 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Thanks! It doesn’t specify anything which is why it’s confusing.

Grains such as quinoa, rice, pasta, etc are dry unless otherwise specified.