Bariatric surgery

Options
Anyone else getting ready to have surgery or have had surgery?

Replies

• UCFKnightSteve
    UCFKnightSteve Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm actually scheudled to have gastric bypass surgery on Sept. 19, and just started my liquid diet yesterday.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi, I checked and there is a Bariatric and Gastric Sleeve support group that may provide some additional support and assistance. Click on "Groups" in the above blue bar and search for "bariatric" or "gastric". Recommend selecting a group that is still active, with recent posts.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm actually scheudled to have gastric bypass surgery on Sept. 19, and just started my liquid diet yesterday.

You have chosen what seems to be a very hard road so please take care of yourself. Don't assume anything and take careful notes of all the instructions.
  • iseealot19
    iseealot19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi ! I am in the process of getting the surgery.I'm going through the classes, with learning what we have to do to prepare for it, as well as post op ,the change of a new way of eating, losing the weight.I'm cautiously excited ! The ones who are getting this surgery on the 19th of September Good luck ! Hope you all do great ! :smile:
  • mrsnightengale
    mrsnightengale Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I’m scheduled for the sleeve October 30th, I’m deff ready! Lol
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

@UCFKnightSteve

I am not sure if you will still feel the need to count calories or ever visit MFP again but if you do I hope you will swing by and let us know you are okay.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Yes I had it in 2001 the roux n y. Don't know if I would do it again, part of me would, part of me wouldn't.
  • faithk256
    faithk256 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had RNY gastric bypass surgery on April 19th 2019. My only regret.....I didn't do it sooner!!
  • Chas7174
    Chas7174 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I went for a bariatric consult back in February and started the process through Kaiser with nutrition classes etc. My next step was to lose 11 lbs to get to goal weight and then I could do my psych consult. Well its now November and I actually gained a little weight so now I need to lose 15 lbs and retake the nutrition class and restart the process. Part of me was telling myself that it was only 11 lbs so no rush and my procrastination got the best of me. So I'm back on MFP.
    SW: 237
    CW: 229
    GW(preop):214
    GW (final): 120
  • PTA4LYF
    PTA4LYF Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    quick update to my progress
    SW: 349
    CW: 277
    GW: 200
    surgery was on sept 9th but weight management and eating properly began on aug 26th
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Looking for support from others bariatric patients. The surgery forums on the site see quiet. Feel free to add me. I'm a sleeve five years out.
  • chavezjm196908
    chavezjm196908 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Had it 9/11/19 and have lost 50lbs. I am currently experiencing a plateau...sucks!
  • marler_ann
    marler_ann Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My RNY by-pass was in 2010. There’s only one reason I’d do it again: I would have only gotten heavier and had lost 90 lbs and yo-yo’d my way up and down to keeping 48 lbs off always.
    I have many friends and family who have had some form of gastric by-pass. We support each other and we agree that stopping our progress toward gaining more is worth the surgery. Note what we had happen:

-Hernias in the intestines a year later
    -Difficulty in future abdominal surgeries if this is not the first since each time your organs are shifted, there’s internal scar tissue and sometimes mesh involved in previous surgeries....your appendix may not be where you had it originally if an appendicitis occurs after a Caesarian section and gastric bypass
    -Not moving to solid food for years, throwing up after each meal or after just some food, like chicken as its breakdown time is lengthy in the pouch
    -Easily overconsuming alcohol as its absorption is quicker, the effect passes in minutes, so a consistent buzz calls for a lot of booze
    -Becoming lactose intolerance -just when you learn to eat 4 oz in a bowl as moderation calls, nope
    -Trying to keep on top of the buying, having, parceling out, and swallowing sooooo many vitamin and minerals
    -If you smoke, bleeding out...since capillaries that feel this virtually new organ are killed by smoking
    -Finding common medicine you can take-no steroids, no ibuprofen, no aspirin, no Tums.....ulcers are the result
    -Unable to keep up with the skin.... sagging ...seen in clothes you can now wear...though you workout to tighten it in toning since it’s melting off
    -Fearing of NOT going to the GB doc annually after year 3 but when returning to your regular gastro, he gets nervous about any issue since he’s unfamiliar with by-pass and when you DO go to your GB and you’re not losing and know why, shame lingers in the air.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    marler_ann wrote: »
    My RNY by-pass was in 2010. There’s only one reason I’d do it again: I would have only gotten heavier and had lost 90 lbs and yo-yo’d my way up and down to keeping 48 lbs off always.
    I have many friends and family who have had some form of gastric by-pass. We support each other and we agree that stopping our progress toward gaining more is worth the surgery. Note what we had happen:

-Hernias in the intestines a year later
    -Difficulty in future abdominal surgeries if this is not the first since each time your organs are shifted, there’s internal scar tissue and sometimes mesh involved in previous surgeries....your appendix may not be where you had it originally if an appendicitis occurs after a Caesarian section and gastric bypass
    -Not moving to solid food for years, throwing up after each meal or after just some food, like chicken as its breakdown time is lengthy in the pouch
    -Easily overconsuming alcohol as its absorption is quicker, the effect passes in minutes, so a consistent buzz calls for a lot of booze
    -Becoming lactose intolerance -just when you learn to eat 4 oz in a bowl as moderation calls, nope
    -Trying to keep on top of the buying, having, parceling out, and swallowing sooooo many vitamin and minerals
    -If you smoke, bleeding out...since capillaries that feel this virtually new organ are killed by smoking
    -Finding common medicine you can take-no steroids, no ibuprofen, no aspirin, no Tums.....ulcers are the result
    -Unable to keep up with the skin.... sagging ...seen in clothes you can now wear...though you workout to tighten it in toning since it’s melting off
    -Fearing of NOT going to the GB doc annually after year 3 but when returning to your regular gastro, he gets nervous about any issue since he’s unfamiliar with by-pass and when you DO go to your GB and you’re not losing and know why, shame lingers in the air.

@marler_ann thank you so much for being honest about your journey! Surgery is a serious, permanently body-altering thing that should be only be undertaken after thorough investigation of all the pros and cons to determine what is best for the person involved. I know that no two people are alike and everyone has different experiences and ups and downs with the surgery, but information is crucial for success and it frustrates me how the side effects are always downplayed or brushed aside, how all the great success stories are trotted out (or a clinic just points to the patients they've had in the last 3 years instead of being honest about the ones 5 years+ and their success or failure in maintaining their weight loss) but no one wants to listen to the honest folks who either regret the surgery or the ones who failed to maintain the weight loss or the ones who have dealt with the complications and the struggle it takes to learn a new lifestyle but who are glad they did it.

I'd much rather go into something like that with my eyes wide open and fully prepared for what may happen by hearing the stories of those who've gone before and how they dealt with those things!
  • carol4351
    carol4351 Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I currently weigh 173.6 pounds and want to weigh 145. I had my gastric bypass in 2003 at the age of 50. I weighed 287 pounds before the surgery in 2003. I lost down to 156 pounds (for about a minute). I gained back up to 207 in 2011. I have started trying to be healthier and MFP has really helped. I do well as long as I track my food. If I quit tracking, the scale starts creeping up. For the last 3 years I have weighed between 163 and 175. Part of my problem is that I'm always thinking that my weight isn't that bad since I no longer weigh 287 pounds. I would say that is the biggest pitfall for me. But I want to be a much healthier weight!

I've never posted or used community before so am trying to do that now (this is only my second post). Thanks for the topic. Support needed!!!