Salmon Recipes

Options
I've been a vegetarian my entire life, but recently decided to start eating fish. I've tried mahi mahi, tilapia, and salmon. Does anyone have any good salmon recipes for me to try? I had it for the first time today at a restaurant - it was served with polenta, tomatoes, and pesto. I don't really know how to cook fish, so any tips would be appreciated!

Replies

• CassandraD82
    CassandraD82 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My favourite way to eat salmon is a thin salmon steak, fried in a non stick pan. The fish is oily enough to create a nice crust but you can add some butter if you wish. I serve it over rice and steamed broccoli.

Another salmon recipe I eat a lot is for breakfast/brunch: and you need good tinned salmon for this one. Whisk a whole egg with a bit of water. Pour into a large non stick pan on medium heat (I've seen this done with baking paper covering the pan to stop the egg from breaking), flake about half a tiny tin of salmon over the cooking omlette (or a large tablespoon worth of salmon) and cut up some green onions/shallots or chives to sprinkle over the salmon. Roll up the omlette and eat!
  • billak
    billak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    1 Onions
    1/2 Green and 1/2 red peppers
    Fresh baby spinach ( this can be omitted)
    2 eggs scrambled with a little salt & pepper ( this can be omitted)
    1/2 can of black beans rinsed well
    1 can of pink salmon.
    Garlic ( fresh or the powder) and cayenne pepper to taste
    A little olive oil.

Scramble eggs and set aside.
    Lightly saute onions and peppers with fresh garlic then add cayenne to taste, ( you can add fresh baby spinach here)
    Add 1 can of pink salmon, break up. Add black beans and eggs. Cook on low until hot.
    Eat plain or with rice.
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I looove salmon. I think I've had it every day for the past week. I too need some new/creative recipes! Usually just grilling it with some steamed veggies is good, also add teriyaki sauce on top and it creates a nice flavor, or you can use blackened seasoning for a little kick.
  • wormzmom
    wormzmom Posts: 11
    Options
    If u like cajun food/spicy things, try making blackened fish with it. Make a spice rub of 1 tbsp paprika, 2 tsp dry mustard, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp white pepper, 1 tsp dried thyme, and 1 tsp salt. U can either pan fry in an iron skillet (if u have a well-ventilated kitchen; if not, don't do it this way-it will smoke up your whole house lol) or bake in the oven. Brush ur salmon fillets with a little olive oil; rub with spice mixture. If u r frying in the iron skillet; heat a little olive oil for about 10 minutes until skillet is extremely hot. Fry fish until it has a charred appearance on either side. If baking in oven, bake in 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes, flip fish, and bake for another 10 minutes or until done-should have a charred appearance. Have a HUGE glass of cold water ready lol!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I like my salmon broiled. 5 minutes per side for an average thickness salmon steak. No more than that or it will get dry. Top with a tablespoon of pesto. It's delicious.
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite Salmon Recipe!
    Maple Salmon By: STARFLOWER
    Prep Time:10 Min
    Cook Time:20 Min
    Ready In:1 Hr

Original Recipe Yield 4 servings

Ingredients
    1/4 cup maple syrup - I use the low sugar kind
    2 tablespoons soy sauce - I use the low sodium kind
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 pound salmon

Directions
    In a small bowl, mix the maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic, garlic salt, and pepper.
    Place salmon in a shallow glass baking dish, and coat with the maple syrup mixture. Cover the dish, and marinate salmon in the refrigerator 30 minutes, turning once.
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    Place the baking dish in the preheated oven, and bake salmon uncovered 20 minutes, or until easily flaked with a fork.
  • SenseAtional
    Options
    These all look great - thanks! I just picked up some salmon at Trader Joe's and one side still has the skin on it. Am I supposed to remove the skin before cooking (If so, how?) or am I supposed to cook it with the skin on?
  • 4genieb
    4genieb Posts: 9
    Options
    i love to eat small 4 oz. filet- do a rub of some brown sugar, paprika, thyme ( not much maybe 1/4 tsp of thyme)- sorry I don't have exact amounts. I mix a little of each in a bowl and then rub on the filet and it marinates for about 30 minutes. It is easy to cook in the oven on a cookie sheet at about 450 for about 10 min. I have also grilled it in my green egg. I just love salmon cooked with this rub, because i have a sweet tooth. i hope you give it a try...
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Am I supposed to remove the skin before cooking (If so, how?) or am I supposed to cook it with the skin on?

I always placed that side down first to cook and it peels right off...don't see any harm if you eat it, preference I guess.
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    I just bought a Lodge cast iron grill pan ($19 @ WalMart). Its very heavy, with ridges in it.

I take a filet of salmon or similar fish, and on each side wipe a tiny bit of olive oil, sprinkle kosher salt, and grind tons of black pepper.

Put the grill pan on a burner and get it really hot. Turn on broiler in oven with shelf up high.

Drop the filet in the center of the grill pan. It will stick at first, so don't try to move it. After about 2 min, flip it. Then move the pan into the oven.

I usually leave it for 4 min, flip it, and then 4 min more.

The grill pan is amazing. You get those grill marks, but the taste is amazing as well : some bits brown and crunchy without the whole thing being overcooked. Also, the kosher salt is a nice touch: your tounge gets little bursts of saltiness instead of uniformity.

I LOVE salmon done this way. Simple and yummy. In fact, its what I had tonight !
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else does this but..
    I take a couple of table spoons of mayo and a mustard on the chicken and some lemon pepper and bake it for 15 minutes.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I just make mine steam pouched topped with herbs. I heard its the easiest and most healthiest way to cook it.
  • trac3
    trac3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Cooked in tin foil over the grill is the best ~ my all time fav is marinated in light soy sauce with Mae Ploy's sweet chili garlic and Hot Alaskan Umami sauce. Serve with chopped cilantro over jasmine rice ~ just insane!! The best I've ever had, and I've had just a little bit of salmon lol (I live in Alaska)...:wink: I also like it cooked in white wine with lemon and fresh dill. If you have good fish, it's hard to screw it up!!:smile:
  • tartan140
    tartan140 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1 lb fillet of salmon
    Zest of one lemon
    2 medium cloves garlic minced or pressed
    1 tsp olive oil
    1/4 tsp kosher salt

Mix all ingedients exept fish. Spread mixture on fish. Grill, skin side down until opaque throughout - no need to flip unless you want grill marks on top. If using a grill pan, allow the marinade 20 minutes on fish before grilling. If using a gas or charcoal grill, doing the prep and then starting the grill makes for good timing.
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump
  • m_lang
    m_lang Posts: 16
    Options
    i love to eat small 4 oz. filet- do a rub of some brown sugar, paprika, thyme ( not much maybe 1/4 tsp of thyme)- sorry I don't have exact amounts. I mix a little of each in a bowl and then rub on the filet and it marinates for about 30 minutes. It is easy to cook in the oven on a cookie sheet at about 450 for about 10 min. I have also grilled it in my green egg. I just love salmon cooked with this rub, because i have a sweet tooth. i hope you give it a try...

I am trying this tonight! Thanks looks yummy : )
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for posting & and all the recipe replys! :happy:
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you go to a fine restaurant, they will cook the skin. It is crispy and delicious when prepared correctly. The key is to get the pan smoking hot, before you add oil. Then lay the skin side DOWN (using tongs). Cook for six minutes on HIGH. Then turn the fish over and cook for about 1-2 minutes depending on doneness required. If you want your salmon cooked all the way through you can wait until you start to see the fish begin to seperate. Hope this helps.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    bump
  • butterfly0819
    Options
    They have these fabulous spice packets by McCormick in the packaged gravy isle. My two favorites are Baja Citrus and Hawaiian Luau.. both taste absolutely awesome on salmon. Soak the piece of salmon in the mixture for a little while ( I try to do an hour or so). Place in one of the oven bags by Ziploc with a little of the mixture on top. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes on 350.. DELISH!!!! I usually serve with rice and a veggie (usually the french style green beans).