How often do you weigh in?

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I weigh myself daily on a scale that syncs with various things (MFP, TrainingPeaks, etc). I can easily get caught up in the numbers (in a bad way) but also like data so not having to actually spend much if any time looking at the number on the scale is a good thing. It allows me to look back at numbers (raw numbers or a trend line) when I have enough mental bandwidth to not put too much weight into what I'm seeing.
  • I only allow myself to weigh once a week or things go south fast. I start stressing about why the scale didn't move fast enough and I end up self-soothing with Blue Bell 😒
  • niki_pratt
    niki_pratt Posts: 1 Member
    Livhere wrote: »
    Just curious how often do you step on the scale? Every day? Once a week? Once a month? Never?

I used to weigh in every day, but it started to become unhealthy for me mentally because I was obsessed with that one pound that would be lost or gained just because I ate that day or didnt eat that day. So now I weigh in once a week and my mindset has changed quite a bit and my eating habits as well.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    @Emmapatterson1729

I started out measuring once a month. I figured it wouldn't be worth it doing it more often. How often did you start out taking measurements?

@LyndaBSS

Started at Daily pictures with weekly measurements, then shifted to weekly pictures every two weeks measurements, now shifting to monthly for both.

Upped calories, and weightloss is slowing.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    @Emmapatterson1729

I started out measuring once a month. I figured it wouldn't be worth it doing it more often. How often did you start out taking measurements?

@LyndaBSS

Started at Daily pictures with weekly measurements, then shifted to weekly pictures every two weeks measurements, now shifting to monthly for both.

Thanks for sharing your technique.
  • Livhere
    Livhere Posts: 141 Member
    I weighed myself for the first time in two weeks today. I’m up three kg. I’m just done. I can’t win. Deleting mfp after posting this. Best of luck all x

I'm sorry the app wasn't of much use. Dm me if you want to talk about it. Remember that weight fluctuates all the time throughout the day, but don't give up! Exercising is only half the battle.
  • Livhere
    @Emmapatterson1729

@LyndaBSS

I took my measurements I think the day before I started going to the gym & started taking progress pics once a week, 2 weeks ago. I haven't taken my measurements again since.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,168 Member
    I weigh daily. It keeps me engaged in the process. My scale syncs with the Health Mate app, which then syncs to mfp.

If you weigh daily, you have to accept that fluctuations and plateaus are a normal part of the process.

Me too.$30 wifi scale automagically syncs. I stumble out of bed each morning, step on it, and that is it. Sometimes I don't pay too much attention. But it is great having a pretty accurate 4 year trend chart.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019
    Livhere wrote: »
    @Emmapatterson1729

@LyndaBSS

I took my measurements I think the day before I started going to the gym & started taking progress pics once a week, 2 weeks ago. I haven't taken my measurements again since.

I slowed it down, because the weight-loss has slowed. I need to take pictures... It's been a while.

I've thought about buying a scale. Just seeing everyone's success, makes me want to weigh. ;)
  • pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    I rarely step on the scale. I don't stress about the scale I just think its irrelevant for my goals. Weight Gain is not Fat Gain.

Your weight will naturally fluctuate depending on: salt intake, water intake, stress, poop, menstrual cycle.

I think most folk (perhaps just me?) are more concerned about how much fat they see when they look in the mirror or how their clothes feel etc. So for me the scale is not the right tool to measure this. Instead I take monthly progress pics.

If your really are determined to use the scale then think of it as simply collecting data. Dont get strung up on your number on any given day - its data. Measure the 1st of month vs 1st of last month, 2nd vs 2nd etc. This will more accurately identify your trend rather than weighing once every month. Big gaps between weighing could discourage you if you see that you have gained 4 lbs...BUT... in reality you just had bacon washed down with a gallon of water and still need to go to the bathroom whilst your stressing about what the scale says...not to mention you are due your period :) Just relax.

Hope this helps.
  • Mirasaki
    Mirasaki Posts: 27 Member
    I weigh myself once a month so I don't get too obsessed. It also helps me to feel good when the number is larger because I've waited longer :smile: seeing you've lost 6lbs in a month is more impactful than seeing 1.5 lbs :smile:
  • Livhere
    edited September 2019
    I rarely step on the scale. I don't stress about the scale I just think its irrelevant for my goals. Weight Gain is not Fat Gain.

Your weight will naturally fluctuate depending on: salt intake, water intake, stress, poop, menstrual cycle.

I think most folk (perhaps just me?) are more concerned about how much fat they see when they look in the mirror or how their clothes feel etc. So for me the scale is not the right tool to measure this. Instead I take monthly progress pics.

If your really are determined to use the scale then think of it as simply collecting data. Dont get strung up on your number on any given day - its data. Measure the 1st of month vs 1st of last month, 2nd vs 2nd etc. This will more accurately identify your trend rather than weighing once every month. Big gaps between weighing could discourage you if you see that you have gained 4 lbs...BUT... in reality you just had bacon washed down with a gallon of water and still need to go to the bathroom whilst your stressing about what the scale says...not to mention you are due your period :) Just relax.

Hope this helps.

Aww fingers crossed you can some get your results again soon! your body is probably just adjusting to the changes. I think I paid $13 on Amazon for our digital scale. It doesn't connect to WiFi or do anything special, but I like it.
  • pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    [/quote] Aww fingers crossed you can some get your results again soon! your body is probably just adjusting to the changes. I think I paid $13 on Amazon for our digital scale. It doesn't connect to WiFi or do anything special, but I like it. [/quote]

Monthly progress pics, working out and not eating like an unsupervised child has got me my results. Not the scale. I think you picked me up wrong.
  • Livhere
    edited September 2019
    @pontious11349 lol so sorry! I meant to click on @Emmapatterson1729 quote she made. Don't know what happened there😅
  • pdmatthews
    pdmatthews Posts: 37 Member
    Tues and Sat here. Tues because that’s when my training week starts and i keep an eye on my lifts as % of bodyweight. Sat - just to flatten any fluctuations I see over time.
  • CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    I weigh myself twice a day, before and after i poop. HAA
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Early on I weighted myself randomly. Since the conditions were different every time, that had weird fluctuations, which was very disconcerting.

Now just Monday and Friday morning after I walk. I use it to see if I made any progress during the week and to motivate myself to be good during the weekend when I have less time to exercise.

Once I've been tracking and exercising for a month, I'm going to add measurements.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Everyday. I just like having a ton of data on my progress chart. 😊 It's helping me learn how my weight fluctuates depending on the foods I eat. (sugary, salty) I'm going to start doing actual body measurements along with the scale weight.
  • angiesjourney
    angiesjourney Posts: 66 Member
    I weigh daily but only log it every Friday. Measure once a month