Weigh food b4 or after cooking?

Options
Do I weigh my food before or after cooking? Specifically meat.

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    There are entries for cooked (specifying the method) and raw meats, and weighing raw or cooked are both fine so long as you choose the right entry. Some will say that it's better to weigh raw because weight will vary based on how done you cook it, but sometimes that's impossible (as with bone-in meats) or just more difficult, and both are going to be good enough.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Either, just make sure you use a good entry, as stated above.

Unfortunately, the "verified" green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I weigh mine raw. I don't know what oils, etc. others might have cooked it in.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the meat. For chicken, I weigh raw, because all that cooks out of it is water. So it is better to weigh raw to get a more exact weigh in.

As far as beef, a lot depends on how fatty it is and the cooking method. Some method of cooking beef cook out significant amounts of fat so it may be better to weight cooked via that cooking method.

Grains, such as rice and pasta, are always best weighed raw.
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,129 Member
    Options
    Weigh it after...whatever is there is is what is going into your body. if you eat it raw, weigh it raw.....common sense....
  • MamboRumba
    MamboRumba Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    @MikePTY What design is on your gloves?

I think most nutritional guides will specify raw or cooked weight.

Look at the nutritional label on the food. (Even meat) It will also specify.

When not specified......raw food.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    looks like captain america to me!

a food losing water doesn't change its calorie/nutrition content. i try raw, but most foods have a cooked entry in the usda database. close enough.

i miss the woo button.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    gcibsthom wrote: »
    Weigh it after...whatever is there is is what is going into your body. if you eat it raw, weigh it raw.....common sense....

Except for the very occasional mistake when I have forgotten I weigh everything raw. If there is a bone in it I weigh it afterwards and deduct from the raw weight. I have seen people argue the issue back and forth but weighing raw works for me and I lose according to my logged deficit. I assume if I changed to cooked entries I would probably get the same results but I am unwilling to change from what has worked now for 19 months.

Besides raw works for everything including breaded meat and recipes in which the meat cooks among other ingredients.
  • MikePTY
    Options
    MamboRumba wrote: »

@MamboRumba - it's Captain America. They are part of the Marvel line from Hayabusa fight. At my gym I am known as "El Capi", partially because I am a big Marvel and Capitan America fan, and also partially because I am one of the only Americans training at the gym (I live outside the US). So I've kinda rolled into the identity. I got them as a birthday gift from my mother.

lvvyaw49yo8q.jpg
  • MikePTY
    Options
    gcibsthom wrote: »

This may "sound" like common sense, but it actually wildly incorrect. Cooking either adds or removes water (depending on the item) from the raw/uncooked thing you are cooking. This changes the weight, but doesn't change the amount of calories. How long you cook something for, along with the method of cooking, can change the water content of an item. One person's 150 grams of cooked chicken may have the same calorie content as 180 grams of someone else's cooked chicken, depending on how they cooked it.

My only exceptions to this, as mentioned above, are high fat meats where you cook via a method that cooks out a significant amount of the fat. Then cooked is probably better of the two. Microwaved bacon is a good example. Microwaving bacon between two paper towels removes a significant amount of fat, so weighing it raw over estimates the calories.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon of fat not eaten with the dish separates 120 calories from the item. I've poured a half a cup of pure fat from a chicken roasting pan. And, non fatty food acquires water in cooking which adds weight but not calories.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    yeah bacon is the one i always weigh cooked.. last time i made baked beans a whole pound of applewood smoked bacon cooked down to a little less than 4 oz...
  • NovusDies
    Options
    A tablespoon of fat not eaten with the dish separates 120 calories from the item. I've poured a half a cup of pure fat from a chicken roasting pan. And, non fatty food acquires water in cooking which adds weight but not calories.

Your point is valid and I suspect if people eat more fattier cuts of meat they should probably consider cooked. I don't.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    yeah bacon is the one i always weigh cooked.. last time i made baked beans a whole pound of applewood smoked bacon cooked down to a little less than 4 oz...

I don't weigh bacon at all. I cook it really crispy and accept it as the package serving size. If I ate it everyday I would probably figure out a better system but I eat it a couple of times a month and then usually less than 4 strips each time.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I weigh mine raw. I don't know what oils, etc. others might have cooked it in.

A good USDA cooked entry won't have oils or anything added.

Not saying not to weigh raw if that works for you, but it has nothing to do with how others cooked it, since the accurate entries will never be other people's recipes.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    MamboRumba wrote: »

It's not uncommon to have meat without a nutritional label. I mostly get mine from a farm, but even if I buy at a butcher counter, no label. Thus, the USDA entries.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I am in the before camp. Always raw, always in grams.
    Folks who say always, are always wrong.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Opinions are never wrong. 😒
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Opinions are never wrong. 😒

Ya see, I am of the opinion that categorically and without exception making the claim that all claims made categorically and without exception are false is mildly humorous even if arguably true. Didn't expect it to be taken seriously. Perhaps you are making the same joke with the statement that opinions are never wrong.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    So, if chicken loses water when cooked (let’s assume it was baked without adding ANYTHING to it), doesn’t it make sense to weigh it after cooking? Wouldn’t you want the “true” weight after cooking out the water? Why would you choose higher weight/calories if it’s just due to water?