Runners: Speedwork Question

Options
Up until now I've only done minor speedwork, and never with a really defined plan. I'm going to be starting this shortly and I had a question about pacing/location. Is it best to do speedwork on a track/road or on a treadmill? I feel like I might not keep a consistent enough speed on a track, but I know that running on a treadmill isn't half as difficult. Should I start on the treadmill and then move to the road once I get a better feel for it?

Or does the exactly pace not matter as long as I'm just running faster than I normally do??

Replies

• maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    speedwork helps increase you pace/speed in races and also strengthens your cardiovascular system and burn more calories. Its best if you do speedwork on a track because its the closest you can come to a road race and it makes you more aware on keeping steady at that pace. But a treadmill works just as well and a TM keeps you consistent at the pace youre working on.

I use both. TM when theres bad weather and a track on nicer days
  • eavest
    eavest Posts: 1
    Options
    Have you looked into heart rate training at all? It's a great way to get started with speed work & it allows you to do it anywhere - track/road/treadmill. There are several great running resources on-line that help you determine your max heart rate & set your zones. From there you simply run to keep your HR in whatever zone you are working in for that run. No worries on pace as long as your HR is where you want it. HR training has improved my times dramatically & has also worked wonders for several of my running friends.
  • mp1789
    mp1789 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to do all my speed work on a treadmill. A lot of runners do both "real runners" and recreational runners, like you and me. Most speed work is challenging, so you should be all set as long as you are running at a faster pace than you normally do. But if you want to ensure that, or if you want a challenge, increase the incline to 1% to 2%. Speedwork on a track is fine, but I get annoyed with the other runners who always seem to be running in the wrong lane. I much prefer speedwork on the road. To do this, though, you need to be a genius of innate pacing or you need to have a well mapped route (try the 'map my fitness' app, maybe) or you need a satellite watch, like a Garmin. I have a Garmin. Since I got this watch last year, I do almost all of my speed workouts on the road. I usually do one tempo and one interval work out (i.e. short-ish, fast pace) a week. Maybe, if you are new to this, start with one or the other. If you are looking for a beginners speed work-out, go to the Runners' World website (www,runnersworld.com) and look under the training tab. They have lots of good speed work suggestions for beginners, intermediate and advanced runners of all abilities. Have fun!
  • nickfn
    nickfn Posts: 19
    Options
    Pace began to matter more to me as I got more serious into running. Speedwork is a great way to feel out how a goal pace will feel, etc. If you are just delving into speedwork, I would suggest doing it by heart rate over any particular pace. Your heart rate can let you know when you are at maximal effort (90+% HR) and when your recovery time is over (after HR drops below 60% or whatever threshold you choose).

Pacing also matters more depending on what type of speedwork you are going to do. If you are doing fartleks no need to monitor your pace- just vary speed. If you are doing 6x800m, timing your intervals will be of more benefit.

I can't really answer the treadmill question as I've only done speedwork on track/road. Do what feels most comfortable to you. If you do start with the treadmill I would eventually mix in some track/road work. (And as another post recommended, add 1 or 2% incline to your treadmill to help simulate wind resistance).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Up until now I've only done minor speedwork, and never with a really defined plan. I'm going to be starting this shortly and I had a question about pacing/location. Is it best to do speedwork on a track/road or on a treadmill? I feel like I might not keep a consistent enough speed on a track, but I know that running on a treadmill isn't half as difficult. Should I start on the treadmill and then move to the road once I get a better feel for it?

Or does the exactly pace not matter as long as I'm just running faster than I normally do??

Yes, no, maybe.

At where you are right now in your program, probably just running faster in any form will be of benefit--you don't need any intricate workouts right now.

The location is not that important. Just keep in mind that if you train on a treadmill, there is always some "adaptation" time to translating that into road effort.

A track is a good place for consistency because you know the exact distance and can use a stopwatch to track your pace.

I would work on both "medium" and "harder" intervals. Medium is something that is closer to 5K race pace, held for longer periods (with shorter recovery time)--you might do 1/2 mile (or the equivalent time) intervals, followed by 1-2 min recovery.

Harder days would be speeds that are in the 85%-90% effort range, but for only 1-2 min. You don't need to do anything super hard (like sprints) at this point.

Another fun thing on a treadmill is to keep the speed constant, but do a random hill program. Set the level so that the incline stays in a 1%-5% incline range and just go with the profile. That's a good way to learn to handle varied courses and maintain speed and effort when running hills.

Good luck--I saw the Naperville reference in your signature, so I looked at your profile. Small world--I live in Lisle as well. (REALLY smalll).
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    agree with pps about focusing on heartrate over pace. i just began doing intervals myself to boost my regime.

some particular watches/hrms can be set to do laps; you could train that way and compete with yourself.