query - need help with calorie count of a pastry - mismatch on MFP and manufacturer's website

Options
Hi all
so here I am having planned for a week or so to have a Friday tea and pastry with friends and factoring the calories of a sweet treat in my daily count. This is not typically a food which I include in my diet but more of an occasional treat and I wanted to count it regularly.
So the issue is that the manufacturer website says it is 245 kcal while in the MFP database it is reported as 450 kcal and I don't know what source I should trust!!
Any hint? Advice of MFP veterans much appreciated
Lena

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Most of the MFP database is user entered and many of the entries are incorrect or reflect regional variation. I would use the manufacturer website or label on a product.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Database foods are user entries. Many are just plain wrong. Go with the manufacturer's information.

Eat it. Enjoy it. Log it. ❤
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Are the serving sizes the same? It's possible that the manufacturer is listing one pastry as two servings, and the MFP entry is for the entire pastry.
  • Lenascrivente
    Lenascrivente Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Really useful suggestions, what a nice bunch you are!!
    You gave me a good idea, I checked, and this patisserie chain has in fact so many branches all around the world and perhaps the MFP entry refers to another country where portions are bigger. I have always noticed how huge the portions are compared to Europe whenever I am in the States for example.

I just checked that my values came from the website of the country I am in so things should be alright. I think I am pleasantly surprised that I can have my cake and eat it ;-) I always thought a millefeuilles had a dazillion calories but hey it is 243kcal not 500 so once in a while I can squeeze it in!!
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Really useful suggestions, what a nice bunch you are!!
    You gave me a good idea, I checked, and this patisserie chain has in fact so many branches all around the world and perhaps the MFP entry refers to another country where portions are bigger. I have always noticed how huge the portions are compared to Europe whenever I am in the States for example.

That's why I always look for the nutritional information per 100g, instead of "serving sizes" (a concept that confuses me to no end).