Cheap, Healthy College Student Recipes

Hey everyone! I’m very new to the app, but determined to get healthy! Just looking for some recommendations of Healthy and cheap recipes to make throughout the week. I am a college student with about a $50 budge for groceries a week, so I keep it pretty simple. Thanks so much!

Replies

• Taytaylynn92
    Taytaylynn92 Posts: 230 Member
    I use to make a lot of fish in the oven. Bake it and use some lemon juice to add additional flavor!

Also some ground turkey with a little taco seasoning and then I love it with hot sauce.

Tuna mixed with some avocado mayo is super quick and easy.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    There is a BBC program called "Eat Well for Less". If you are not in the UK, youTube has several episodes. The main themes are:

1. Cook from scratch.
    2. Avoid paying for anything pre-prepared that you can do yourself such as pre-grated cheese, pre-washed bags of salad, pre-cut carrot sticks, frozen oven french fries.
    3. Try supermarket own brands over well known premium brands for prepared foods such as ketchup, yoghurt, breakfast cereals.
    4. Eat vegetarian occasionally.
  • phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    Do you have access to a full kitchen?

I love baked chicken leg quarters (it’s a thigh/leg combo good for 2 meals) bake at 375 for about 50minutes.

Baked potatoes/sweet potatoes are cheap and you can make at the same time (bake for abt 30minutes). My bf never liked sweet potatoes but likes when I make them, I cut small sweet potatoes into halved lengthwise and toss with olive oil, salt, chili powder and garlic. Frozen veggies that you can steam in the bag are good too because you don’t have to worry abt ham going bad quickly.

If you have a George Foreman grill, you can make grilled chicken breasts (breast tenderloins are really fast like 7mins, and you don’t have to cut them so they cook evenly. For normal breasts I cut in half so they are even thickness) or you can grill turkey burgers (less fat and cheaper than beef).

Eggs, oatmeal, cottage cheese are all pretty cheap and can be healthy. I love rice as well but the calories can add up with that