Need help from Runner's Please :)

Options
Okay, so it has been a goal of mine to run a half marathon for awhile now. I love to run but have yet to come close to running a half marathon.
In pursuit of my goal, I realized that the "Rock N Roll Marathon" (1/2 marathon) is coming to my city in 6 weeks. I would love to make this a goal of mine and start busting my booty to get ready. My question is to all of you who have trained and ran a half marathon or marathon, is this a realistic goal? I know a lot of the training that I've found online is 12 weeks. I have exactly half of that. I'm driven and dedicated but really want to know what veteran runners have to say about my possible 6-week mission. :)

Any feedback, guidance or suggestions are truly appreciated,

Replies

• ironband
    ironband Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Well, first question would be "What is your starting point?" What does your present weekly mileage look like?
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    How far are you running now? You can always plan on run/walking the 1/2 and then run a full race later on. I've been training for a 1/2 myself, my first, and after 5 weeks I am up to 8 miles...so I still have a ways to go. Wish I could offer more help, but I'm still pretty much a noob myself.
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    That depends on what your current base mileage is. 6 weeks to a half is a recipe for injury if you're not logging 20 mile weeks right now.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    Yes, starting point is key. I was in the same spot as you are now. I decided to run my first half marathon and it was 6 weeks away. I was already running more miles per week then where the training schedule was at for the 6 week mark. I only had to make some adjustments to get on that schedule.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I run at least a marathon per week (26+ miles, split up into 4-5 per day). So I run a fair amount. And I know there is no way I could do a half within a few weeks. I think I'd end up feeling really discouraged and disappointed, and it would be a detriment to my current running. I think it would be safer to do a shorter goal. A 10k, perhaps. Or even a 10 mile. Save the 1/2 for the spring.
  • bmoree
    bmoree Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    look into jeff galloways running method. it a walk/run combo that will help you not tire out and be able to make it to the end. ive used it for 2 half marathons. good luck!
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Well, first question would be "What is your starting point?" What does your present weekly mileage look like?

exactly what i was going to ask..
  • FatUncleRob
    Options
    I think people are going to need more details : like how often and how far you normally run.

I'd like to run a half marathon - maybe next year - but I know I'd want at least 12 weeks to get ready.

(I've been running seriously for about three months now. I run 3 or 4 times a week. Usually 4 or 5 miles with a long run of 6 to 8 miles once a week. My comfortable pace for 5+ miles is around 11 minutes a mile and my longest run so far is 10 miles.)
  • javaruck
    javaruck Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Like some others have indicated, it all depends on your current base. If you are currently logging at least 20 miles per week with at least a 6 mile long run ability, you should be able to pull it off. If not, you might want to think about postponing so that you have enough time to train properly and avoid the risk of injury.
  • destiny637
    Options
    I'm running about 10 miles per week but have not been consistent the last 2 weeks. Sounds like I may need to extend my goal completion date.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    six weeks will be tight. My RnR half is still 8 weeks out - I have three 3 mile runs and one 7 mile run this week...
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I think people are going to need more details : like how often and how far you normally run.

I'd like to run a half marathon - maybe next year - but I know I'd want at least 12 weeks to get ready.

(I've been running seriously for about three months now. I run 3 or 4 times a week. Usually 4 or 5 miles with a long run of 6 to 8 miles once a week. My comfortable pace for 5+ miles is around 11 minutes a mile and my longest run so far is 10 miles.)

Your current plan is very similar to my half training plan. You could TOTALLY do a half this year! :tongue:
  • juscallmeb
    Options
    when I decided to do my first half marathon, my friend gave me this training guide. http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm I was ahead of the game when I looked at it, however I still followed it and it worked for me. My goal was to run without stopping and finish, I achieved my goal so I was happy.. now i'm on to more races.

I know Hal Higdon also has run/walk plans available to use also. Either way, I wish you luck with your goal. :)
  • ironband
    ironband Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm running about 10 miles per week but have not been consistent the last 2 weeks. Sounds like I may need to extend my goal completion date.

Better to err on the side of caution. I made the mistake of running too far too soon when I first took up running, and it led to an injury that killed my momentum and led to me taking years off, which is part of the reason I'm on this site to begin with.

As others mentioned, you may be able to train to run-walk it, though.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Yeah with only logging 10 miles a week I think you might be risking injury.

I have been training for a half marathon and using coolrunnings training plan. I needed to be able to run 19-20 miles a week for a month before I started. I was running maybe 15 miles a week before I started the pre-training.
    I have been following this: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/134.shtml
    I am on week 6 now.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It took me three years to get to my first half marathon - not saying everyone should do that - but if you're only running 10 miles per week, I'd suggest not doing the half. It will be there next year and there are SO many races out there that you will always be able to find something. :)

Hal Higdon's Novice plans are great for first-timers at any distance; take a look at his website sometime and see what might work for you. Maybe try a 10K or 15K first, just to get your feet wet. I started out with 5Ks, then 5 mile/8K, then did 10Ks, then a couple of 15Ks before I ever did a half. I then ran 12 halfs before I ever ran a full. I haven't had any kind of injury since 2007 (which wasn't even running related, it was a nerve issue, but it sidelined me from running for 4 months) because I have always erred on the side of caution and listened to my body.

Best of luck!
  • destiny637
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Your advice is greatly appreciated! I'm going to start training and do a 5k then 10k first. I truly appreciate you all taking time to guide me in the right direction here. You guys rock!!
  • FatUncleRob
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Your advice is greatly appreciated! I'm going to start training and do a 5k then 10k first. I truly appreciate you all taking time to guide me in the right direction here. You guys rock!!

Sounds good! Good luck! :smile:
  • juscallmeb
    Options

Anytime. :)
    Good luck with your training, you will do awesome and seeing the improvement and how you reach your goals will be such an amazing feeling.
    best of luck ;)