Advice Please - Hormones, Aging & Weight, Oh My! (warning - long post)

Options
I've been tracking my weight for over 3 years now.

Since I started using my FitBit, I was able to lose the weight I wanted to lose, and maintain comfortably up until about this time last year.

I weigh and track my food using the FitBit app and just recently hooked into the trendweight app. I have 3 years worth of data.

Last fall (2018), when I had trouble stabilizing my usual and expected post-vacation weight gain (in spite of being in moderate deficit) - I had my thyroid checked and was indeed hypothyroid. I went on levothyroxine for a few months, but have since stopped taking it as my thyroid went into hyper levels.

I'm 54 years old, and have just completed one year without a period.

I am really struggling to not only maintain my weight, but now it seems my weight is creeping up, in spite of being in a deficit (**according to my FitBit data**).

From everything I've read, I don't believe hypothyroid or menopause cause weight gain directly - but rather can affect one's energy levels and thus decrease CO due to lowered energy & less movement. I was operating under the assumption that it's not impossible to lose or maintain my weight, as long as I was being hyper vigilant, staying active, and eating within the appropriate calorie range for my goals.

BASED ON MY FITBIT DATA
During my weight loss phase, I averaged a 289 calorie/day deficit.
During my maintanance phase, I averaged a 176 calorie/day deficit. (I lost SLOWLY down to the low end of my happy range.)
During my weight creep phase, I averaged a 207 calorie/day deficit. (I stabilized at about 3 lbs. above my happy weight)
During the most current uptick in weight, I am averaging a 552 calorie/day deficit. This is to combat my post vacation weight gain. I assumed some of it was water weight, and some is actual fat gain. I am now at 6 lbs. above my happy weight.

My fear is that my weight will continue to creep up in spite of my perceived hard work.

I'll assume given my age and my personal internal hormonal cocktail, that my CO / BMR is lowered. I'm obviously willing to do the work, be patient and diligent... but my question is, how much should I lower my CI on a daily basis?

Female
Age 54
5'2 ish
CW: 120 (want to get back into my happy zone of maintaining at 114 +/- !)

I have history of thyroid & autoimmune issues.

For the past month I've been eating an average of 1581 calories/day.

According to FitBit, my average daily output is 2133 calories/day.

I average 16K+ steps per day. This combines my daily walks on the treadmill and normal daily activity.
I do a full-body compound weights routine 3x / week.

Should I drop my intake another 100 or 200 calories / day? Or am I fighting a losing (gaining) battle?

P.S. I'm getting no joy from my PCP or Endo. My endo doesn't see it as an issue, since I'm still within a healthy BMI. My PCP wants to help, but doesn't know how. She suggested I do more high-intensity cardio.

v0am5iopm4ap.png

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    our bodies change as we get older. and any caloric burn, unless through a dedicated HRM, is an estimate. I'm 10 years younger than you, shorter than you by an inch, and MAINTAIN at around 1600 before any exercise and mfp set at sedentary.

how accurate is your logging. i would start there.

are you eating back exercise calories or fit bit earned calories? reduce the amount that you are eating back, if so.

I bet the answer is in one of those two things, or a combination of them.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Are you seeing an endocrinologist about your thyroid issues? It may be something that a different medication or a different dosage can help. Have you talked to your GP about your weight? Unexplained weight gain is usually something they should know, though some will just put it off to getting older.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    our bodies change as we get older.
    Exactly. Which is the nature of my question.
    and any caloric burn, unless through a dedicated HRM, is an estimate. I'm 10 years younger than you, shorter than you by an inch, and MAINTAIN at around 1600 before any exercise and mfp set at sedentary.
    I understand caloric burns are only estimates. I use a FitBit Blaze with a HRM, and base my estimates off of that. I was able to successfully lose the weight I wanted to and then maintain comfortably for over a year using these estimates.
    how accurate is your logging. i would start there.
    I would argue my logging is more accurate now that I'm having issues. In the past -- during weight loss and maintaining my happy weight -- I didn't log items such as sugarless gum, multivitamins, black coffee, or olive oil spray. Now, for the past year since I've been having issues, I log EVERYTHING that passes my lips. I weigh everything using a food scale. (I've always used a food scale).
    are you eating back exercise calories or fit bit earned calories? reduce the amount that you are eating back, if so.
    I don't eat back exercise calories, per se. Instead I use the TDEE method and eat at a deficit based on my daily burn as estimated through the FitBit. (Same outcome, just a different way to go about it). This is the method I used to successfully lose the weight and maintain comfortably for over a year. And that's exactly my question: how much should I reduce my daily intake by? I've already reduced my intake by about 300 calories a day. I went from a 200 cal/day deficit to a 550 cal/day deficit.
    I bet the answer is in one of those two things, or a combination of them.
    Yes, thank you.

• krael65
    Options
    Are you seeing an endocrinologist about your thyroid issues? It may be something that a different medication or a different dosage can help. Have you talked to your GP about your weight? Unexplained weight gain is usually something they should know, though some will just put it off to getting older.
    Yes, I'm seeing an endocrinologist for my thyroid. I was on medication, but he has taken me off since my thyroid swung toward the normal-to-hyper levels. So now I'm not on any thyroid medication. I requested a RMR test, but he said he has no idea where to get one of those done. He also does not see it as an issue, since I'm still within the normal BMI.

My GP sympathizes. I meet with my OB/GYN next week. My GP suggested I talk in depth with her about my issues as maybe it has to do with my estrogen levels.

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I was on levothyroxine for 5 years and was miserable. I found out you're only supposed to use it 2 years max. I had my thyroid removed and am now on synthroid. I've had better luck all the way around, from how I feel in general and also with regard to losing weight.

Good luck with your journey! 💟
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    krael65 wrote: »
    Yes, I'm seeing an endocrinologist for my thyroid. I was on medication, but he has taken me off since my thyroid swung toward the normal-to-hyper levels. So now I'm not on any thyroid medication. I requested a RMR test, but he said he has no idea where to get one of those done. He also does not see it as an issue, since I'm still within the normal BMI.

My GP sympathizes. I meet with my OB/GYN next week. My GP suggested I talk in depth with her about my issues as maybe it has to do with my estrogen levels.

Any RMR testing I've seen done was through a Registered Dietitian. Which of the thyroid tests were actually done? A full panel would give a more accurate picture compared to just one or two of the tests.

I have found my FitBit inaccurate to some extent (for me it was underestimating my daily calorie burn, so I've learned to go off my actual numbers and results. That assumes accurately tracked intake, of course, and works best with 6-8 weeks of data. Using your actual intake for that time period, plus or minus weight lost/gained x3500 calories per lb, will give you a better picture of where you actually are.

How long ago was your vacation? I find it takes a week or two to normalize after any long flights. Have you also taken into consideration stress and sleep? These can impact your hormones and therefore weight. What about nutrition? Are you getting enough protein and fat in your diet? Vitamins and minerals?

Just a few more things to consider in all of this.
  • krael65
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I was on levothyroxine for 5 years and was miserable. I found out you're only supposed to use it 2 years max. I had my thyroid removed and am now on synthroid. I've had better luck all the way around, from how I feel in general and also with regard to losing weight.

Good luck with your journey! 💟

Thank you! And glad you're feeling better. :)
    Bodies. WTF.
  • krael65
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Any RMR testing I've seen done was through a Registered Dietitian. Which of the thyroid tests were actually done? A full panel would give a more accurate picture compared to just one or two of the tests.
    Oooh, an RD! I could look into meeting with one. Thanks for the tip! I did find a university near me that offers testing - but I'm not sure I qualify. I've inquired with them about getting a RMR test (via email. not sure if/when I'll hear back.)

I had a full Thyroid panel done a year ago, but since then they've only been testing my TSH & Free T4.
    I have found my FitBit inaccurate to some extent (for me it was underestimating my daily calorie burn, so I've learned to go off my actual numbers and results. That assumes accurately tracked intake, of course, and works best with 6-8 weeks of data. Using your actual intake for that time period, plus or minus weight lost/gained x3500 calories per lb, will give you a better picture of where you actually are.
    Yes. I have 3+ years of data (both CI and CO). So that comes in handy. During my weight loss phase, I was losing pretty accurately based on my FitBit estimate and CI tracking. I lost approx. .7 lbs/week, and my deficit was 289 cals/day during that phase. So, close enough! :)
    How long ago was your vacation? I find it takes a week or two to normalize after any long flights.
    My vacation was 2 weeks at the end of July/beginning of August. So I've been back for a month now. No flights. 8 hr car trip, some fun foodz, & booze. Like I said - I expect to gain some water, some fat. Usually takes me a month to get back down and stabilize. But this time it's sticking around, even with a 550 cal/day deficit. :(
    Have you also taken into consideration stress and sleep? These can impact your hormones and therefore weight. What about nutrition? Are you getting enough protein and fat in your diet? Vitamins and minerals?
    Yes, stress/anxiety is definitely a thing for me. I suffer insomnia some nights, so my sleep is not the greatest. As for nutrition, I aim for at least 100g protein/day, and fat is usually around 50 or 60g?
    Just a few more things to consider in all of this.
    Thank you! Lots of good stuff to consider!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I would hazard a guess that the simplest possibility is that Fitbit is no longer accurately calculating your TDEE due to changes in your physicality.
  • krael65
    Options
    I would hazard a guess that the simplest possibility is that Fitbit is no longer accurately calculating your TDEE due to changes in your physicality.
    I'm willing to entertain the idea that my FitBit estimations are off.
    Can you explain what you mean by changes is my physicality? Are you meaning changes in my activity level?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Can you explain what you mean by changes is my physicality? Are you meaning changes in my activity level?

The things you mentioned such as your thyroid and that you are menopausal.

Edit: In the sense that Fitbit is just doing maths, basically, it can't possibly always be right considering metabolism and TDEE and muscle mass shifts that happen over time. Heck, even our bone density must have some small effect on these things but Fitbit has no way of knowing any of this.
  • krael65
    edited September 2019
    Options

The things you mentioned such as your thyroid and that you are menopausal.

Edit: In the sense that Fitbit is just doing maths, basically, it can't possibly always be right considering metabolism and TDEE and muscle mass shifts that happen over time. Heck, even our bone density must have some small effect on these things but Fitbit has no way of knowing any of this.

Yeah, I get that.

Well this is sad. I've been approaching this from the TDEE perspective for so long, based on my FitBit data. And it worked, up until it didn't (starting 1 year ago).

So if I use the MFP setup approach and plug in my stats, I get 1290 calories as a baseline (choosing lightly active, and .5 lb week loss). I then plug in my daily walk into the MFP exercise estimator (120 mins. at 3mph) and I get 359 calories. Which totals 1649 calories (to lose .5 lb / wk).

Since I've been averaging 1581 cals/day for the past month and have not lost anything, it appears I need to cut my exercise calories. It's just so sad! That means my FitBit is WAY off.

ETA: My challenge/desire is to figure out HOW MUCH it is off by. I understand I can just use my real life data. But if I knew my FitBit was off by X amount or X percent, then I could still use it as a guideline.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I just sync MFP and my Fitbit. I let steps come over but don't add any extra for them (just whatever credit it gives me). I have read that to do both is to double count.
  • krael65
    Options
    Your walk cals are closer to 240 cals. 1/3 bodyweight x distance in miles. 40x6 given your info.
    (This is from Runners World (?) and a generally well accepted estimate)

Just as an FYI your lifting cals can be found in ‘Cardio’ under ‘strength training’. You don’t get many, but do account for them as you are problem solving.

If I were you I would put aside my Fitbit
    go off MFP cals for a month use appropriate activity level and maintenance at 120.

Log all extra walking at using the equation above.

Log weight lifting.

Eat all cals.

Crunch real life results from there to drop the extra few lbs at 0.5lbs a week.

Cheers, h.

I lost at 54 also. 5’1 130-105 on 1200, I really was sedentary, plus all exercise cals. Exercise burn was derived and adjusted from collected data after a couple of month.

I did realize my daily activity had slowly dropped over the years and pulling that up, subtly, is what really helped me get many more cals in maintenance. (10yr).

Thanks for the calculation info! I remembered seeing that before, but couldn't find the reference. And dayum, that is depressing about the walking calories. ;)

I think I will try as you suggest for a few months and see how it goes. I obviously can't trust the FitBit anymore anyway...
  • krael65
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    I just sync MFP and my Fitbit. I let steps come over but don't add any extra for them (just whatever credit it gives me). I have read that to do both is to double count.
    I don't sync my FitBit with MFP, or manually add any exercise in. I strictly use the FitBit app to record my calories-in, and let the FitBit do it's thing. So I base my daily deficit off of my TDEE. But it seems that now my FitBit is not accurately estimating my calories, so this is the issue. It seems I need go back to basics and use the MFP method of getting my baseline calorie estimate, then adding purposeful exercise in 'manually', since my FitBit is overestimating my burn. I'll use the formua @middlehaitch provided for walking calories, and see how it goes. :)
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    For comparison only.

I am 5'3". Currently 131.5 lbs, down for 140 at the beginning of May. 5 years into menopause, normal thyroid (as far as I know, my PCP has only tested TSH). Before menopause, I was maintaining between 120-125 lbs.

I eat between 1200 and 1350 calories. Although all calorie counting is an estimate, that is probably pretty accurate. I weigh practically everything.

I selected sendentary, and just add in my actual exercises, not things like cleaning, shopping, etc. I estimated my calorie burn at 2 calories per minute for lower intensity (yoga, strength training, slower walk) and 2.5 for higher intensity (faster walk, etc). I do not have a tracker.

I don't always get around to eating all of my exercise calories because I can only eat a small volume at a time and can't eat after dinner (both due to severe GERD). I also can't eat a lot of higher calorie foods like fried foods, so that naturally keeps calories down.

I estimate that I was maintaining (~145 lbs) on about 1600-1700 calories before the GERD diagnosis. Then I was eating about 1400-1500 and losing a pound every 3 to 4 months. I was exercising during all that time although less consistently then I am now.