Low carb ratio calculator

Options
Hi,

I want to start on a low carb diet (not as low as Keto) but I'm struggling to find a calculator that helps me input the right balance of Carbs, Fat and Protein into myfitnesspal.

Maybe I've missed something in the premium settings, I know how to set the goal for Carbs etc. but I'm not sure I've out in the right numbers. I've based them on a couple of calculators I've found but I'm not sure they're right.

I've started with 20% Carbs, 55% Fat and 25% Protein but is that right?

Thanks

Paul

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    How do you feel? That is really what determines the best ratios for you.

For the record, I am 25c,25p,50f.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    There isn't a "universally correct" low carb macro ratio. Generally I believe "low carb" is considered less than 100g. though I've seen it as high as 150g in some places.

General recommendations for the other two macros is typically 0.6-1g of protein per lb of goal weight (or lean body mass if you have that info) and fat a minimum of 0.3g per lb.

Macros are personal preference. The key is finding a way to eat that makes it easy to stick to your calorie goal, while being practical and enjoyable. :drinker:
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    There are so many different low carb styles of eating.

If cutting carbs, I recommend joining The Low Carber Daily Forum group on here. The Keto group is great also. And not everyone in keto group eats keto low.

You can always start with macros one way and play with percents later. I've played with my macros a couple of times doing low carb.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Would suggest just setting a protein goal as a minimum goal in grams (that's quite personal based on your body weight, whether you are exercising heavily and also if you are in calorie deficit or not), whatever your choice of a carb goal in grams as a maximum goal and then just eat in the way that suits you to meet your calorie and nutrition goals.

BTW - our food labelling gives net carbs, take that in consideration if you use any resources suggested from the US.

BTW2 - setting percentages as macro goals falls apart a bit when you add substantial amounts of exercise calories. It only really works if you have a same every day calorie goal.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't know where you can find this calculator, but hopefully The Low Carber Daily Forum group can help. I have my macros set at 15% (total) Carbs, 60% Fat, 25% Protein. This totally works for me. I discovered that even on days that I don't log my meals until the evening, I hit it almost on target every time. I think better than using a calculator is to take a look at what macros you've had success with, or have felt most comfortable with.
  • JessicaGarrantParmeter
    Options
    I’m looking to add new friends to help out on my weight loss journey.
  • little_schmidt
    little_schmidt Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have been away for some time and back in full swing. I'm actually trying to walk to Keto path so wish me luck lol. As far as a calculator there are plenty for keto but I would imagine there is one for just low carb. When I doubt google it out.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I have been away for some time and back in full swing. I'm actually trying to walk to Keto path so wish me luck lol. As far as a calculator there are plenty for keto but I would imagine there is one for just low carb. When I doubt google it out.

@little_schmidt
    Good luck at keto. The Keto group and The Low Carber Daily Forum group are great for active discussions and finding others eating keto.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Are you wanting to restrict carbs due to personal preference, or because a doctor told you to do it, or for some other reason?

If your doctor told you to restrict carbs, then you should ask your doctor how many carbs they want you to eat per day.

If the goal is just weight loss, then carbs are about personal preference. Weight loss is entirely about consistently being in a calorie deficit, and doesn't have anything to do with how many carbs you eat. Your carb intake should therefore be whatever you prefer it to be.