Antidepressants and Exercise

Options
professionalslob
professionalslob Posts: 8 Member
edited September 2019 in Motivation and Support
I've been regularly doing cardio for 5 weeks, and I've been on Cymbalta for 2.5 weeks. In the last few days, I suddenly feel like it's significantly harder to make it through work outs I was doing fine just a few weeks ago. For example, I did a 30 minute HIIT video that previously felt quite challenging yet safe, but today I felt like my lungs would cave in or I'd faint if I continued by 22 minutes in. I'm feeling really down and discouraged by this.

Anyone with similar experiences? Does it get easier to push through? Did you just have to change something else (time of day taking meds, more caffeine, certain vitamins, etc) to compensate?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's due to the medication? Is it possible you haven't slept well recently or your body is fighting off a bug that's going around?

I don't have personal experience with that, but wanted to give your thread a bump :smile: Hang in there!
  • ro175
    ro175 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Some antidepressants can make some people feel tired. I would discuss with my GP
  • phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Aw man I’m sorry, that’s rough. Antidepressants can have physical effects, and a lot of antidepressants I know of also take time to get into your system so maybe that could be why it’s showing up now

It might be nothing but it’s worth talking to your doctor to make sure everything is okay. I know when I was on medication I had side effects for about a month and a half before it evened out, but they were mostly tolerable and didn’t impact day to day life too badly. I waited it out and then it was pretty smooth sailing. But it’s important to mention any to your doc, one that I tried I had to quit after only 2 weeks.

It might get better on its own and you just have to wait and recondition yourself but if it was me I’d want to know for sure from the doc
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have taken about 8 different antidepressants over the last 15 years until we found what worked for me. I have never experienced what you are describing while taking them but I have when I went off them.

One possibility (and you need to discuss this with your prescribing doctor): it may be time to up the dosage. Some need to be started with a lower than effective dose, then raise after your body gets used to them.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Do you have seasonal allergies? I'm allergic to everything outside as well as dust, perfumes etc. My worst times of the year are spring and autumn. My cardio really suffers during those times despite my allergy meds.
  • 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been on prozac off and on for years and haven't had this experience. I wonder if you're eating enough and about the intensity of the cardio. Maybe you're body needs a few rest days to rejuvenate?