Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Ketogenic diets and the $33-billion diet gimmick

saintor1
saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
edited September 2019 in Debate Club
This is the actual title of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oePve0-8W0I

Interesting how the initial weight loss is more associated with muscle loss. This video ultimately demonstrates that going low-carb makes you lose weight slower than low-fat.

Replies

• saintor1
    edited September 2019
    True, this site has an agenda and has been against low-carb/keto since the Atkins era. He will not publish much that won't fit it, but personally I enjoy 70% + of this youtube channel site and its content. It was a big influence to make me adopt a mostly a plant-based diet, although still a moderate carnivore (twice a week).

Having said that, this video is a gem. He didn't create what was reported in it. Since 1976, 19 of the 20 major studies on fat loss experiences low-carb vs low-fat favored low-fat. Jump to 3:55 to see it.
    I didn't watch the video, but I can see already from the two sentence description one major misrepresentation of Keto weight loss. The original "woosh" loss with low carb isn't associated with muscle loss

Not misrepresented at all in the video, if any maybe by me. By the time you wrote this reply, it wouldn't have been longer to watch this video and it totally agrees with you. :smile:
  • saintor1
    edited September 2019
    psuLemon wrote: »
    If you want to hear an argument against, you can read the below article.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets

It even raises the 20 studies by 3.

I saw it, two days ago I posted this link in the comments of this youtube video.
    Why does this link support exactly the *opposite*, stating that most of the 23 studies that lasted 3-4+ months lost more weight on low-carb than low-fat? I have an hard time that it would be more lean mass (muscle) lost.
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets#section7

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Azdak wrote: »
    saintor1 wrote: »
    True, this site has an agenda and has been against low-carb/keto since the Atkins era. He will not publish much that won't fit it, but personally I enjoy 70% + of this youtube channel site and its content. It was a big influence to make me adopt a mostly a plant-based diet, although still a moderate carnivore (twice a week).

Having said that, this video is a gem. He didn't create what was reported in it. Since 1976, 19 of the 20 major studies on fat loss experiences low-carb vs low-fat favored low-fat. Jump to 3:55 to see it.
    I didn't watch the video, but I can see already from the two sentence description one major misrepresentation of Keto weight loss. The original "woosh" loss with low carb isn't associated with muscle loss

Not misrepresented at all in the video, if any maybe by me. By the time you wrote this reply, it wouldn't have been longer to watch this video and it totally agrees with you. :smile:

Since 1976, there have only been 20 make studies in fat loss? Seriously, less than one a year? That's clearly a very narrow and proprietary use of major studies on fat loss to say there are only 20.

What I bet Gregor won't tell you: how much protein is associated with weight loss and weight loss success, particularly ad libitum where it can reduce calorie intake. I especially doubt he'll discuss how strongly low fat dairy helps in weight loss.
    Gregor's use of studies is like a stumbling drunk's use of a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

As a part-time amateur polemicist, I can only salute your last sentence.

Well played, sir.

To be fair, it isn't my analogy, but an old one. I think it is commonly attributed to Churchill, but it seems it comes from Andrew Lang.