Am I eating enough??

Options
Hi I've lost 30# and am realllly struggling to lose 15 more. I'm female, 5'5", 150#, do cardio boxing 5x/week...burns about 400cals. I also do strength training twice a week, burns about 250/session. This is all based off my chest strap monitor. On average I'm eating 1300-1400 cals per day of "real food", but the scale will not budge at all. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Thank you!!

Replies

• napilibay
    napilibay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'll also add I weigh everything to the gram.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You’ve lost 30 pounds, you are doing great. The last few pounds are the slowest to come off. Keep plugging away.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    napilibay wrote: »
    Hi I've lost 30# and am realllly struggling to lose 15 more. I'm female, 5'5", 150#, do cardio boxing 5x/week...burns about 400cals. I also do strength training twice a week, burns about 250/session. This is all based off my chest strap monitor. On average I'm eating 1300-1400 cals per day of "real food", but the scale will not budge at all. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Thank you!!

What does this mean you’re eating 1300-1400 calories of “real food”? How many calories of unreal food are you taking in?

I was afraid to ask that question. I was worried that I might find out that the food I eat is not "real".
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options

What does this mean you’re eating 1300-1400 calories of “real food”? How many calories of unreal food are you taking in?

I took that to mean food that makes up balanced meals, as opposed to a bunch of doughnuts, chips, fries and snack cakes etc. 🤷‍♀️
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options

I took that to mean food that makes up balanced meals, as opposed to a bunch of doughnuts, chips, fries and snack cakes etc. 🤷‍♀️

I took it to mean including exercise calories (not net calories). The actual amount of food eaten. Xx
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

HR-based calorie burn for both those types of workouts is going to be inflated.
    It's only going to be a decent estimate for steady-state aerobic - so same HR for 2-4 min constantly.
    And even then there are ways it can be inflated easily.

Those workouts are exactly opposite with HR all over the place and many points of anaerobic, therefore HR-based is bad method.

Now - if that was only for 15 min in a day of otherwise being very active - then no big whoop.

But if that is 60 min or more in otherwise not very active life - then the inflated values can easily have bad effect on what you think you burn.

And I'd think if you are only eating 1300-1400 of accurately logged food in total - you have no idea how bad your workouts probably are compared to eating enough to fuel them.
    Oh, it may feel like you are working as hard as you can - and probably are, in a diminished state. That causes inflated HR from stress, but not actually burning that many calories.
    But you are probably not working as hard as you could be with a well fueled body.

That effect can also make it easy for rest the day to be comparatively less active than it's potential. That also is usually unobserved.

If the above is happening (if 1300-1400 is truly accurate) then likely water retained from elevated stress induced cortisol is adding to the negative effect.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    The probability that you are actually burning 250 cal in each strength training session is extremely low.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30768553
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Doughnuts aren’t real? They taste real...

They certainly have very real effects if you eat too many of them!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options

I wasn’t claiming that they weren’t real! I was simply trying for an interpretation of what the OP may have meant in context of her post.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I wasn’t claiming that they weren’t real! I was simply trying for an interpretation of what the OP may have meant in context of her post.

Oh I know I was just kidding.