How many calories does everyone eat?

Options

Replies

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    I don’t count calories. It’s possible to lose without counting. Are you just starting? How’s it going for you?

It drove me up the wall.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't know lol I don't keep track

You don't know how many calories you eat?

Yep you got it! I don't keep track of it or measure anything

@cuteangelkitten what are you doing to lose weight?
  • kathyloveslife
    kathyloveslife Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm lightly active looking to lose 2lbs per week.
    I walk 30 mins each day and MFP gave me 1,220
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I'm 5'8" 45 years old. Started at around 230 lbs eating 1410 calories (give or take 100).

Current weight around 185, upped calories to 1689 (give or take 100), still losing.

Goal weight is around 165.

Thanks! Did if benefit you to up the calories? Do you think I could get away with losing at 1300? Or should it be higher

You have not provided enough information for anyone to make this determination. See my questions above.

• marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    5'5 and generally eat around 1200 most days :)
  • kathyloveslife
    Options
    I'm lightly active looking to lose 2lbs per week.
    I walk 30 mins each day and MFP gave me 1,220
    I'm 5'8" 45 years old. Started at around 230 lbs eating 1410 calories (give or take 100).

Current weight around 185, upped calories to 1689 (give or take 100), still losing.

Goal weight is around 165.

Thanks! Did if benefit you to up the calories? Do you think I could get away with losing at 1300? Or should it be higher

You have not provided enough information for anyone to make this determination. See my questions above.

2 lbs per week is generally only recommended for those with 75 or more pounds to lose.

You may be better off changing your goal to 1 or 1.5 lb/week which will give you extra calories to work with and also give you room to reduce if needed.

I lowered to 1.5 and it gave me more calories so that should be sustainable
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    wmweeza wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    I'm a bit lighter than you and a lot older but my calorie goal today to maintain weight is 4,524 calories.

Which underlines @LyndaBSS post - don't worry about what other people have as their goal, my advice would be work out a sensible goal for yourself using this tool, log consistently, fully and as accurately as reasonably possible and then make adjustments after a month if you don't get the results you expect.

4,524? WOW, I assume 1524?

He's a very active man who is maintaining, so while I cannot assume 4,524 is accurate, I'm sure 1,524 would not be.

@sijomial ?
  • kathyloveslife
    Options
    sarshadawn wrote: »
    so surprised to see such low numbers like 1200, my understanding is eventually your body will slow down its metabolism so you don't starve and it can survive on those numbers.
    I have taken a similar approach to "gallicinvasion"
    i eat 1900-2000 a day, i exercise 5 times a week for 1 hour, otherwise i'm on my bum in the library full time.
    its been really slow weight loss i've lost 6 kg over 5 months but the flip side is if i have an intense month at uni and my diet and exercise slips i don't gain it back rapidly like on a diet.
    the slow method has been really good for me being busy and feeling like i need fuel all the time, i would struggle to get through my life hungry.

i used to be a hardcore dieter eating around 1400 a day but my whole life revolved around meal times, i still think about food a lot ha but not as intensely. I weighed about 68 kilos before uni then shot up to 81 over two years of not dieting and only focusing on study, convinced i needed to have enough food to keep my studying all the time + STRESS . then when i confronted my weight gain i set my limit to 2000 and use exercise to compensate that number.

Id be cautious about going too low instead focus on whats in your food, are you eating more protein and less carbs, research the role of insulin in weight loss, its super informative.

Thanks for your insight! Ive been eating low calories for awhile and ithink my body stopped losing because it got so use to it so now im eating more! Hopefully i can lose again
  • kathyloveslife
    Options
    sarshadawn wrote: »
    so surprised to see such low numbers like 1200, my understanding is eventually your body will slow down its metabolism so you don't starve and it can survive on those numbers.
    I have taken a similar approach to "gallicinvasion"
    i eat 1900-2000 a day, i exercise 5 times a week for 1 hour, otherwise i'm on my bum in the library full time.
    its been really slow weight loss i've lost 6 kg over 5 months but the flip side is if i have an intense month at uni and my diet and exercise slips i don't gain it back rapidly like on a diet.
    the slow method has been really good for me being busy and feeling like i need fuel all the time, i would struggle to get through my life hungry.

i used to be a hardcore dieter eating around 1400 a day but my whole life revolved around meal times, i still think about food a lot ha but not as intensely. I weighed about 68 kilos before uni then shot up to 81 over two years of not dieting and only focusing on study, convinced i needed to have enough food to keep my studying all the time + STRESS . then when i confronted my weight gain i set my limit to 2000 and use exercise to compensate that number.

Id be cautious about going too low instead focus on whats in your food, are you eating more protein and less carbs, research the role of insulin in weight loss, its super informative.

Thanks for your insight! Ive been eating low calories for awhile and ithink my body stopped losing because it got so use to it so now im eating more! Hopefully i can lose again

If people stopped losing when they cut calories too low, how do you think people become malnourished or die from starvation?

It just doesn’t work like that.

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned in this thread yet is if you’re using a food scale for logging accuracy?

Yes I use a scale
  • sarshadawn
    sarshadawn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey Winogelato
    What did you mean by this comment?

If people stopped losing when they cut calories too low, how do you think people become malnourished or die from starvation?

It just doesn’t work like that. “

I think some other important things to consider when selecting your limit is what is a sustainable number in the long term, and also if your number is too low it’s easy to systemically underestimate the calories you consume in order to maximise how many you can have, just be carfeful to be honest anout what you eat and a scale is an excellent idea because it provides an objective measure :)

• xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I’m female, 5’4”, 162lbs and 26 years old. I could never drop down to 1200 unless I was being a couch potato (I do have odd lazy days!). I’m losing weight on 1800 calories on exercise days. On my non-exercise days I would eat 1400. If I’m even more active, I would eat 2000 calories. This is not a race, more like a sprint. I’ve done starving my self, over feeding myself. Trying to find a happy medium here. I try to exercise 5 times a week: 3 days of full body weights circuits, 1 upper body workout, 1 cardio day, 2 sessions of power yoga/vinyasa flow. I also eat lower carb, around 100-120g a day. It’s NOT just about calories. Macros matter too. Eat sufficient protein so you don’t lose muscle mass and do resistance training. I started IIFYM a few months ago and it was the worst idea for me. Never again. Do what works for you. Me and my sister are doing a sugar free challenge (for health reasons) and its going well so far.
  • Pablosammy82
    Pablosammy82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 1,500 on sedentary days, and eating back my exercise calories. I've been losing weight a bit faster than I'd planned (~0.75kg a week, with a plan of 0.5kg), which sounds great, but I want to give my body a chance to adapt to the cycling I've started doing so have increased it to 1,700 from today.