Anyone dealing with adult attention deficit disorder?

Options
I was wondering if anyone out there is dealing with adult attention deficit disorder. What are your symptoms? How are you dealing with it? What are the treatments? Does it impact your health and fitness goals and activities? How does it impact socially? I can't focus or concentrate on anything for long periods of time, and have difficulty completing tasks. What to do what to do???? I have an appointment with my family doctor in a few days, but I'd like some input.

Thanks!!

Replies

• MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have to ask, what is BUMP? Thanks. :happy:
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I suspect that I could be dealing with this. I will not likely ever take meds for it, as they often raise bloodpressure, and my family has problems with bp. In fact, mine was high, which is one reason I decided to lose weight and start exercising. Being 43 pounds lighter took care of the problem!

Here is good news--research shows that exercise actually improves the brain function of people with ADD, so if/when you start exercising regularly it should help. If you already are exercising--don't stop!

Most people think that ADD folks need to exercise to burn off energy. Instead, it is much more important, it actually helps "cure" the problem temporarily.

So there is just one more reason to stay on an exercise program!

Good luck.
  • Splasheh
    Splasheh Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I assume this comes under the same symptoms of ADHD? I suffer from ADHD. It may affect my mood to exercise or to be motivated without realising as it changes your mood a lot so it may affect weight loss.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    First of all, ADD sucks, lol. Since I'm only 19, I guess it's still considered normal ADD. I'm not medicated for it. But growing up, my "chore list" would have to be broken down into parts, or else my brain wouldn't be able to focus on the task and I'd ignore it all together. My teachers would have to break down tasks as well.

I deal with it one day at a time. I have no short-term memory on top of the ADD, which really sucked growing up. After 19 years, I've learned how to adapt and how I need things to be done. I don't think it impacts my fitness goals at all. When it's something that I incorporate into my every day life, I don't really have a problem. It's things like projects and remembering dates and tasks that I have a problem focusing on.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Try reading 'Driven to Distraction'. When I read it, it was an AHA moment for me. Of course I never finished it, because I never finish any self help books. Or any projects... :-)
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Here is good news--research shows that exercise actually improves the brain function of people with ADD, so if/when you start exercising regularly it should help. If you already are exercising--don't stop!

Most people think that ADD folks need to exercise to burn off energy. Instead, it is much more important, it actually helps "cure" the problem temporarily.

Good luck.

Whatever is going on sometimes keeps me from exercising regularly - just not motivated to do anything
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    ADD/ADHD absolutley can have an influence one's exercise and nutrtion. More to follow...
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed at age 19 after a few years of conseling for a non-related issue. Started out prescribed to Adderall and it made me feel horrible so I stopped taking it. Honestly, I'm happy that I'm not getting any medication or treatment for depression OR adhd. Exercise helps focus me and makes me happy. Yes, I get teased by family and friends (in a fun, non-offensive way) for being off the wall or random but I've developed my own little habits for coping with the focus. A few little things that help me: cup of coffee in the morning helps me to focus on my work and wearing my glasses as well. I'm also a planner. I lay out my clothes, I organize my desk in little piles so I stay on track with work. Sounds silly but those little things help me.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone out there is dealing with adult attention deficit disorder. What are your symptoms? How are you dealing with it? What are the treatments? Does it impact your health and fitness goals and activities? How does it impact socially? I can't focus or concentrate on anything for long periods of time, and have difficulty completing tasks. What to do what to do???? I have an appointment with my family doctor in a few days, but I'd like some input.

Thanks!!

There are all sorts of treatments, Amphetamine Salts are the most common Rx treatment, you ease into it beginning with a low dose, and see how you do, then increase if needed. They have instant release and extended release, which would help you get through the school/work day.

My son has ADD, he's treated daily, with an extended release for school, and an instant release after school to get him through his after school activities. He does well with it, but it does effect his eating, he's already a small guy, and definitely has appetite issues on it. It's especially difficult getting him to eat lunch at school when I'm not there to nag him to finish in the allotted time.

I'm undiagnosed, but as far as symptoms go, and my son's evaluations lighting lots of red flags for me, I believe I do have it, mildly. I get engrossed in things so heavily that they take over my life obsessively, for a couple years, then I drop interest in them. Countless activities, crafts, hobbies and interests etc. I know work needs to be done but I just sit there and stare at the wall. As for dieting, if I didn't have MFP to keep me on my toes, there would be no weight loss, and heck no to exercise, aside from being a karate student. I was kind of amazed that it lasted this long, but now I want my black belt bad enough not to quit or lose interest like so many other things. I could snack mindlessly, play video games for hours, mindlessly, I have a hard time with classes unless it is something that REALLY interests me. I have all the exact symptoms as my son.

There are therapeutic strategies for treating it, talk therapy and behavioral modification etc. Exercise is an amazing treatment especially if it's something you enjoy.

Check this out, and any time it says 'your child' substitute 'you' instead. :)http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_treatments_coping.htm

Good luck.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

I have definitely found this to be the case.
  • AndreaCBR
    AndreaCBR Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I finally went to my family doctor after having an office job for almost a year. I was having a lot of trouble concentrating. My mind would wander & I would get so frusterated I would almost be in tears sitting at my desk. I was trying so hard to concentrate and finish my tasks, but I could not get my brain to focus. He did prescribe me Adderall along with a low dose anti-depressant/anxiety medicine. So far, it has helped a lot. I have about the same amount of distractions, but I can definitely concentrate on the task at hand a lot better, without thinking about and planning everything else in the world. Socially, ADD has not had too much of an impact. Other than driving my boyfriend crazy because I can not sit still. I can not watch an entire movie, it's too boring and I can't concentrate. I think you should definitley give it a shot and talk to your doctor. There are a variety of different medicines used to treat ADD depending on your symptoms. I take the generic Adderall and it is still somewhat expensive. But, if you have having as hard of a time as I was, it is definitely worth it. Also, when I first started taking it, if I would run after work my heart rate was elevated. Now, it has no side effects at all. Good luck!
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Is Adult Attention Deficit DIsorder not something everyone has got? Like 90% of us?

And then you have the 10% freaks who have Adult Attention Excess Disorder who do everything on time, are good at starting new tasks, finishing stuff... They make us feel bad.
    THEY should take medication and slack off sometimes... Bad (perfect) people!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I took Wellbutrin for Adult ADD for a long time. It mostly helped, but I worked very hard to learn non-medication coping skills and tools. Now I have to-do lists and calendars and alerts and 'notes to self' to try to stay on track. It doesn't always work and I often find myself spaced out and not doing what I'm supposed to.. but I've decided to own my ADD in a different way than most people. Instead of considering myself afflicted with a disease, I consider it a lack of skills. I do not yet possess all of the necessary skills to be consistent, on-task, and organized. The more I work toward gaining those skills, and the harder I apply myself to getting better, the less and less my ADD affects my life.

I think I'll always be a little flighty and excitable, but I won't let that stop me from being successful. I just get up in the morning and stick to my routine, and seek help from others when I know I need it. (for example, I asked my BFF to go wedding dress shopping with me because I get in a big store full of dresses and can't focus to save my life. She helped me keep my thoughts on track and stay in the zone.) I had been dress shopping three times previously without her and had much less success than when she came. She's one of my tools some times.

As far as working out goes, it just had to become another To-Do that I have to check off my list. It was no longer negotiable, and it is another step in my daily (and very set) schedule.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I was 21 when I was diagnosed with ADD, although the psychologist who did the testing told me I had "taught" myself to be ADD as a way of avoiding boredom/issues from my childhood. I later found out I have Celiac and since going totally gluten free my ADD is a million times better, depression, and other issues also cleared up. I know that some studies have been done to support that going GF has helped ADD kids, I think that it is only the case if the child is gluten intolerant.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Try reading 'Driven to Distraction'. When I read it, it was an AHA moment for me. Of course I never finished it, because I never finish any self help books. Or any projects... :-)
    LOL - absolutely me to a T, I generally need to gleen whatever great wonderful knowlege within a short period... if someone writes a book and saves the best to last, I literally will never know.

ADD can be balanced by diet and exercise... I do not use medication, but I'm very aware of my issues, and usually can bring myself back around. I don't notice if it deters my fitness... I've always found it to be very helpful, tho' as with everything else, if it doesn't capture me early on in the 'interesting/fun' department I trail off quickly. For exercise I usually have to trick my brain into thinking it's just having fun. Machines like the stationary bike/elliptical etc. don't last long... actual biking and swimming, kayaking, cross country skiing etc... where the scenery changes I perform very well.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Oh, Ilookthetype makes a good point about diet - my daughter was also diagnosed ADHD at a very young age, and we went on a really strict clean diet and it did help. Pepperonis of all things would set her off on an episode like you would not believe. When she was eating mostly natural and low on the processed carbs, she always did much better. She's also been learning the same tools I have been learning for the last 10 years, and she's doing amazing as a teenager.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I took Wellbutrin for Adult ADD for a long time. It mostly helped, but I worked very hard to learn non-medication coping skills and tools. Now I have to-do lists and calendars and alerts and 'notes to self' to try to stay on track. It doesn't always work and I often find myself spaced out and not doing what I'm supposed to.. but I've decided to own my ADD in a different way than most people. Instead of considering myself afflicted with a disease, I consider it a lack of skills. I do not yet possess all of the necessary skills to be consistent, on-task, and organized. The more I work toward gaining those skills, and the harder I apply myself to getting better, the less and less my ADD affects my life.

I think I'll always be a little flighty and excitable, but I won't let that stop me from being successful. I just get up in the morning and stick to my routine, and seek help from others when I know I need it. (for example, I asked my BFF to go wedding dress shopping with me because I get in a big store full of dresses and can't focus to save my life. She helped me keep my thoughts on track and stay in the zone.) I had been dress shopping three times previously without her and had much less success than when she came. She's one of my tools some times.

As far as working out goes, it just had to become another To-Do that I have to check off my list. It was no longer negotiable, and it is another step in my daily (and very set) schedule.

Post-it notes and the buddy system to stay on track!!! OMG, my life would be a disaster if I didn't do this. At work, if there isn't a checklist it disappears from my brain and never is finished. If I go grocery shopping without a list, even if I'm only there to pick a couple things up, I will be "distracted" within minutes, not pick up what I needed, and a hundred bucks and grocery cart full of 'other' items later and I'll be done. It drives my Husband insane to shop with me.... it's always "OOooh shiny' *runs away**
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    It's more common than many realize. There is treatment available. I found the following online:

Use this quiz to help determine if you need to see a mental health professional for diagnosis and treatment of ADD or ADHD in an adult. http://psychcentral.com/addquiz.htm

I have a mild form of it and sometimes struggl SQUIRREL!!
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    We need a special forum for those with this condition as it can have a unique influence on our fitness goals. There are some great responses here from people who clearly deal with the issue and are finding their own solutions. The lack of motivation you describe is a common element, plus ADD could be co-morbid with some level of depression. Consider these ideas for a good starting point-
    Intense exercise is critical for health and 'sanity' (whatever that means to you). To counter the lacking motivation keep activities you love available. When you feel like you just don’t have the will to do anything trick yourself by saying you’ll just do it for 5 minutes. Once you get moving that will act like blowing on the tiny ember until it becomes a flame.
    Experiment with fish oil supplements.
    Nutrtion…in simplest terms people with ADD have a unique relationship with serotonin. Unfortunately food produces serotonin, so sometimes I feel like I have to eat something stimulating (well beyond a craving). My brain wants that serotonin rush and food is the easiest source, but I can learn to provide that from other sources. 5-htp can help alleviate this cycle for many people.
    Check out the books on the subject by Dr. Daniel Amen. Required reading!

It’s a journey. Unfortunately few doctors truly understand the full scope of this condition. Educating yourself and experimenting is the best way to find your own solutions. Good luck to all!!!