Never any chicken sausage from aldi

Options
Has anyone tried it? What’s your view on it? It’s so goodddd but I feel like it’s one of those hidden health foods I shouldn’t eat

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Processed food...
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Sausages are delicious. I find them easy to fit into my calorie goal, macros, etc. if you are watching your sodium, you should probably not have like three every day, because they are high in salt. But if not, go chicken-sausage crazy.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    This thread has reminded that I a. love good chicken sausage and b. haven't had sausage in a very long time. I need to rectify this situation.
  • phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How do you usually cook/serve it? I’ve never tried chicken sausage before and don’t know what it would be best with (like with peppers, onions, or do you just eat it on its own?)
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I was disappointed by the calorie count on retail chicken sausage. It should not have any more calories than the chicken meat that goes in it. Johnsonville Apple is one of the best and it still has 150 calories for a single 85g sausage. Since it has nothing much else but chicken, it must have the skin which is far more calorie dense included.

I think one could easily make chicken sausage that is closer to 1 cal per gram.
  • aokoye
    Options
    phx92 wrote: »
    How do you usually cook/serve it? I’ve never tried chicken sausage before and don’t know what it would be best with (like with peppers, onions, or do you just eat it on its own?)

It depends on what it's seasoned with. I've had both breakfast and more savory chicken sausages. Either way, treat it the same way you would a variety of other sausages. If it's not a breakfast sausage I'll eat it with pasta, various vegetables, on a bun, etc.
  • aokoye
    Options
    I was disappointed by the calorie count on retail chicken sausage. It should not have any more calories than the chicken meat that goes in it. Johnsonville Apple is one of the best and it still has 150 calories for a single 85g sausage. Since it has nothing much else but chicken, it must have the skin which is far more calorie dense included.

You could also do what I mostly grew up with, get ground chicken (or turkey), add ingredients, and cook it. Mind you Johnsonville apple sausage, which I wouldn't all one of the best but that's me, also has corn syrup and cane syrup in it which is partially responsible for added the calories. I personally would be more tempted to grind chicken thighs myself and add maple syrup, rosemary, and dried cranberries.

It is safe to assume that it has added fat though, I'm pretty sure most sausage does in part to prevent it from drying out. All that said, I would consider one 85g sausage enough meat to be part of one meal. You could serve it with roasted or sauteed vegetables, on a bun, with polenta, etc.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I buy the spinach feta chicken sausage. We usually eat it with eggs and more spinach and feta. I have also added it to pasta. I think it tastes good, and one link easily fits into my calories.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options

If protein is 4 calories per gram, how could you make a chicken sausage that is closer to 1 calorie per gram? Are you an alchemist???
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I think i've tried this aldi one and it was pretty good. atzxnlq7kbfi.png
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried it? What’s your view on it? It’s so goodddd but I feel like it’s one of those hidden health foods I shouldn’t eat

What is a "hidden health food"? Do you think it is hiding ingredients that are bad for you in some way just because it tastes good?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,470 Member
    Options
    Lidl has a pretty decent chicken and sun dried tomato sausage that’s 60 calories, and it’s full size. It’s a great way to get that protein I’m always struggling to get, and a nice inexpensive lunch, too. I will try their spinach and feta version next. It’s such a pleasure to eat two of them and think nothing about it as opposed to their (deliciously dangerous) European style brats, at 250 calories per link.
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Options
    The breakfast chicken sausage is a staple of mine until I find out there's something I'm missing. I've found that the Spinach, Italian or others are a bit high in sodium, but otherwise pretty good.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Vune wrote: »

If protein is 4 calories per gram, how could you make a chicken sausage that is closer to 1 calorie per gram? Are you an alchemist???

Chicken is not 4 calories per gram. Pork chops are 4 calories per gram. Brownies are 4 calories per gram.
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My partner really likes them! It's a healthy meat product without a bunch of scary ingredients
  • aokoye
    Options

Chicken is not 4 calories per gram. Pork chops are 4 calories per gram. Brownies are 4 calories per gram.

I agree, but it's worth pointing out the chicken sausages that have been mentioned are 1.7 calories per gram. If you just used ground chicken thigh and various herbs and spices, you could totally cut that down closer to 1 calorie per gram. I probably wouldn't do that for a breakfast sausage (which I like to be sweeter), but a savory sausage? Totally.
  • aokoye
    Options

Because 1 gram of chicken contains less than 4 grams of protein. The idea wasn't about protein (which wasn't even mentioned), it was about calories and the weight (in grams) of the whole sausage. No alchemy is needed, just a clarification of what the goals/complaints were.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

You're making the mistake of thinking that 1 gram of chicken contains 1 gram of protein, and thus would have 4 calories. You overlook that chicken, like most food, is mostly water. (Just like a person is mostly water. Pretty much all macroscopic* living things on this planet are mostly water, and aside from salt, people almost exclusively eat formerly living things.)

A gram of pan-browned ground chicken is almost two-thirds water by weight, with about 0.2 g of protein and 0.1 grams of fat for about 1.9 kcal.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/05333?fgcd=&manu=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=default&order=asc&qlookup=Chicken%2C+ground%2C+crumbles%2C+cooked%2C+pan-browned&ds=SR&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

*I'm not implying that microscopic living things are mostly water, just that I really don't have the knowledge to assert that they are.