Is it really possible to eat 245g of protein a day at 245 pounds?

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to consume 245 grams of protein being at 245 pounds right now (without protein supplements).

To reach this marco ratio wouldn't I go over the caloric deficit level every time trying to consume 245g of protein?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Sure, it's possible, depending on what your cals are and what else you are willing to sacrifice.

But why would you? Normal recommendation (even for those who are active and losing weight and wanting to retain muscle) is more like .8-1 g per lb of lean mass. You can roughly estimate that with a .6-.8 g per lb of your goal weight. If you have lots to lose, that will be a much lower number than you are trying to hit now. If you are close to goal, then your calories would presumably be reasonably high, as you wouldn't want a steep deficit.

Source is Examine.com and the sources linked on the articles about protein there, among others.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    As that's only 980 cals makes me wonder what your calorie goal is?
    It's clearly not impossible. So to answer your question yes it is possible to eat 245g of protein and not exceed a reasonable calorie goal.

(Whether 245g is actually a suitable protein goal for you is another matter entirely.)
  • tonjunee
    tonjunee Posts: 9 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Sure, it's possible, depending on what your cals are and what else you are willing to sacrifice.But why would you? Normal recommendation (even for those who are active and losing weight and wanting to retain muscle) is more like .8-1 g per lb of lean mass.

Right, yeah. The 0.8-1 g per lb sounds like what I've heard from bodybuilders who recommended 1 g per lb. I am trying to lose fat and keep muscle.

I've worked out the macros and I can never hit 245 grams of protein without going over my caloric deficit limit.

Sure I could reach 245 grams of protein eating pure beef all day, but then that would just get me under the caloric deficit level with no carbs whatsoever.

Is this correct?
  • tonjunee
    edited September 2019
    sijomial wrote: »
    It's clearly not impossible. So to answer your question yes it is possible to eat 245g of protein and not exceed a reasonable calorie goal.

How did you get 980 cal for 245 g of protein?

I see for ground beef it is 250 calories for 100 grams, but only 26 grams of protein in the 100 grams. My source is below:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=beef+calories

So if I go 250 calories X 9 = 2250 calories ( my deficit is 2400 calories)
    then 26 grams of protein X 9 = 234 grams of protein ( I'm close to 245 grams at 245 pounds)

Sure I reach my goal, but then there are no room for carbohydrates. Thus to take carbs I would only go over my caloric deficit.
  • lemurcat2
    edited September 2019
    tonjunee wrote: »
    Sure, it's possible, depending on what your cals are and what else you are willing to sacrifice.But why would you? Normal recommendation (even for those who are active and losing weight and wanting to retain muscle) is more like .8-1 g per lb of lean mass.

Right, yeah. The 0.8-1 g per lb sounds like what I've heard from bodybuilders who recommended 1 g per lb. I am trying to lose fat and keep muscle.

I've worked out the macros and I can never hit 245 grams of protein without going over my caloric deficit limit.

Sure I could reach 245 grams of protein eating pure beef all day, but then that would just get me under the caloric deficit level with no carbs whatsoever.

Is this correct?

You haven't said what your calorie goal is, but you absolutely do not need to eat that much protein (1 g per lb with weight to lose) to keep muscle and lose fat.

I see 247 g protein for 1320 cal worth of chicken breast, which should leave you room for other foods too. I don't recommend, however.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2019

I see for ground beef it is 250 calories for 100 grams, but only 26 grams of protein in the 100 grams. My source is below:

then 26 grams of protein X 9 = 234 grams of protein ( I'm close to 245 grams at 245 pounds)

Sure I reach my goal, but then there are no room for carbohydrates. Thus to take carbs I would only go over my caloric deficit.

Carbs and Protein are 4 calories per gram, Fat is 9 calories per gram. Many of the calories in that ground beef are from fat, not protein. Working in leaner sources of protein will make it easier to hit your goal.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited September 2019
    I would start with evaluating if that protein goal is really necessary. What is your goal weight? .8g of that would likely be a better target. It will still be enough to help preserve muscle and will still give you enough room in your calories for other foods.
  • Hooliekom
    Hooliekom Posts: 94 Member

Protein has 4 calories per gram, so it works like this: 245 x 4 = 980 :)

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

Carbs and Protein are 4 calories per gram, Fat is 9 calories per gram. Many of those calories are from fat, not protein. Working in leaner sources of protein will make it easier to hit your goal.

Yes, depending on the cut, beef can be fairly fatty. Same with pork and fish. Leaner cuts of meats, chicken breast, egg whites, tuna are all leaner protein sources.
  • tonjunee
    edited September 2019
    You haven't said what your calorie goal is, but you absolutely do not need to eat that much protein (1 g per lb with weight to lose) to keep muscle and lose fat.

So can I take 0.8 grams of protein per pound instead?

Right now my caloric goal is around 2400 per day, but I'm thinking of dropping it another 300 calories. I am sedentary with working out 4 times a week and cardio around 3 times a week.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    In the paraphrased words of Selena Gomez: "I mean you could, but why would you want to?" It is certainly possible. But for muscle maintenance you by no means need to eat that much. There is no one universal recommended protein intake amount, but 1g per pound of body weight is excessive to all of them. Different estimates I've heard range from 0.6g to 0.8g of your goal weight to 0.8g to 1g per pound of lean mass. Both methods should bring you to a protein goal of less than 200g.
  • lemurcat2

So can I take 0.8 grams of protein per pound instead?

The protein you need is based on your lean mass. If you know what that is (most don't), you could eat about 0.8-1 g per lb of that. A good way to estimate instead is 0.6-0.8 g per lb of a healthy goal weight. Take the higher end to be extra careful if you want.

So when I was 180 and had a goal weight of 120, I aimed for 0.8x120 or 96 g of protein.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    You also seem to be conflating calories, food weight, and macro grams.

100g of ground beef = x grams of protein, y grams of fat, and z grams of water.

And I agree with everyone else - while you could eat 245g of protein, it isn't necessary. That 1g per pound recommendation is usually 1g per lb of lean mass, or per lb of goal weight if you don't know your lean mass.
  • tonjunee
    Carbs and Protein are 4 calories per gram, Fat is 9 calories per gram. Many of the calories in that ground beef are from fat, not protein. Working in leaner sources of protein will make it easier to hit your goal.

You might be right. The one thing I do see is chicken breasts at 31g of protein per 165 calories.

So if I take 31g of chicken breast X 8 = 248 grams of protein
    Which is 165 calories X 8 = 1320 calories

Which means I have around 1000 more calories to play with. But, I only see chicken breasts this high. Fish and other sources of protein don't seem to beat ground beef at 26 g of protein.

Do I have the right source for chicken breasts? It can't be this high, can it?

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/calories-in-chicken#breast
  • lemurcat2
    Chicken breast is that high -- I gave the numbers above. Whitefish like cod is even higher -- eat insane amounts of cod to hit it in under 1150 cal.

But really, don't bother.
  • tonjunee
    edited September 2019

And I agree with everyone else - while you could eat 245g of protein, it isn't necessary. That 1g per pound recommendation is usually 1g per lb of lean mass, or per lb of goal weight if you don't know your lean mass.

Oh, so it's to measure protein against only my lean body mass?
  • tonjunee
    edited September 2019
    Edit: accidentally double posted

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

Oh, so it's to measure protein against only my lean body mass?

Yes.
  • tonjunee
    Chicken breast is that high -- I gave the numbers above. Whitefish like cod is even higher -- eat insane amounts of cod to hit it in under 1150 cal.

But really, don't bother.

I can't eat cod actually. I can only eat basa, but I think I'm starting to see the numbers differently now.

Before I was looking at measuring protein and the weight of the meat rather than protein and calories.