New to this on my journey to lose weight

Options
NLoNg978
NLoNg978 Posts: 3 Member
edited September 2019 in Getting Started
I started this New Direction meal replacement at work and currently consuming only 760 calories per day. I lost 15lb in 3 weeks. Now I am looking to eat smarter when I come off it so my nutritionist recommended this app. I am Cambodian, I do see some ingredients that we use, but how accurate is it when I put all of it in? It didn't let me change the tsp to cup for ginger and when I add some stuff, it shows up double or triple.

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    It can be frustrating when you first start to use MFP to log your food, as not all the database entries are accurate or in formulae that work for you.

Over time, though, you’ll build up a list of foods you log often and it does become easier. You just have to put in some minutes up front to find the accurate entries. You can also scan bar codes on packaged foods which can help a little to find an entry that matches the packaging info, but again, check it’s accurate before logging. There is definitely an entry for fresh ginger that works by the way, you may just have to search a bit to find it!

You can also create your own foods if you can’t find an existing entry that matches what you know you’re eating.

I’ve never had the issue of things doubling or tripling in my diary, but I know it does happen for some, hopefully someone else can tell you how to fix that bit.

I’d also suggest you get hold of a kitchen scale to weigh your foods because the most common unit on the accurate entries in the database will be the gram weight of the item.

Don’t be put off by the initial difficulty with logging, it does get easier and quicker! Good luck! 😊
  • NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!
  • NLoNg978
    Options
    Thank you, I know once I get used to it, I will love it. I'll have to play around with it more and to be more comfortable with it
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Be sure to eat the proper amount of calories going forward. You are on such a dangerously low calorie restriction, you will most likely gain some weight back. Then, you can expect to lose the weight safely and it will be a sustainable loss.
  • NLoNg978
    Options
    LyndaBSS, that's what exactly what I was afraid of. I was planning to stop the meal replacement once I reach my ideal goal, then start going back to consume the proper calories and work on getting to my actual goal weight