Strenth training with out a gym?

Is it possible to put on muscle without the gym? I know there are certain things you can do at home but are those enough? Im asking because I have anxiety about the gym. Bad experience.

Replies

• ku140
    ku140 Posts: 65 Member
    I am a big fan of using body weight to gain strength. Are you wanting to tone up/gain strength, or build muscle mass?
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Sure squat rack, barbell, weights and a bench is all you need
  • manowarrule2003
    manowarrule2003 Posts: 118 Member
    Omg absolutely yes. Get a bench and some weights. And you know what? Your muscles don't even realise the weight you're lifting isn't being lifted in a swanky gym. Go for it
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    My (cheap) squat rack purchase took my home gym to another level. It was all I needed to run my "Starting Strength" type program at home. I can squat, bench, deadlift, press, and more- with no risk of dropping a bar on myself or others. My teens are all getting into it now too. If I had known what a great benefit that even cheap rack is- I would have purchased it much sooner. Instead, I foolishly searched Craigslist and the internet and agonized for months over what type of rack and barbell I needed. In truth, my barbell/bench are still old and crappy- but it was the squat rack that opened the door to effective work outs at home.
  • Aliaamer89
    Aliaamer89 Posts: 1 Member
    If you want to only use bodyweight exercises, then focus on variations of pull-ups, Pushups, squats, maybe consider getting a TRX because there is alot you can do with that from the comfort of your own home
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    You certainly can gain muscle without the gym. You would need some sort of progressive overload stimulus to challenge your muscles. You would certainly benefit from proper equipment if you want to do it in a more optimal fashion. Essentially, barbell > dumbbell> bodyweight. But that isn't to suggest they all don't have their place. If you are going to follow an at home program, i would look at a predesigned program like AX1 (from AthleanX) or you are your own gym. And to state the obvious, diet plays a role as well.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    You certainly can gain muscle without the gym. You would need some sort of progressive overload stimulus to challenge your muscles. You would certainly benefit from proper equipment if you want to do it in a more optimal fashion. Essentially, barbell > dumbbell> bodyweight. But that isn't to suggest they all don't have their place. If you are going to follow an at home program, i would look at a predesigned program like AX1 (from AthleanX) or you are your own gym. And to state the obvious, diet plays a role as well.

^^^All of this...
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    Absolutely. Check out "You are your own gym" or "Body by you", both by Mark Lauren. Your library will probably have a copy.
  • EpilepsyWarrior
    EpilepsyWarrior Posts: 56 Member
    Thx everyone :) got some really good tips and a little nore confidence that i can do it.
  • RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    edited September 2019
    Check out this guy and his brother. I've been following their workouts and training at home for the last 4 years.

https://alkavadlo.com/
    dannythetrainer.com/
  • SarahAnne3958
    SarahAnne3958 Posts: 78 Member
    Mcwi3681 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Check out "You are your own gym" or "Body by you", both by Mark Lauren. Your library will probably have a copy.

Yep, was going to recommend Lauren's books, good stuff in an easy to understand format.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Is it possible to put on muscle without the gym? I know there are certain things you can do at home but are those enough? Im asking because I have anxiety about the gym. Bad experience.

I'm curious what happened... I've had ton of bad experiences at the gym but like who cares, when I was 355lbs I had a bunch of teenagers calling me a fat *kitten*... My brother wanted to fight them, I told him know there is a problem with them not us, let them be negative. I've had a guy try and tell me I can't do certain things and move my weights, I told him to *kitten* off he doesn't own the gym... idk I had 2 guys starring at me this morning when getting changed... meh who cares.

Anyways the gym is no different then the mall ... have you had a bad experience there? bet you still go back though.. it's no different then any other building lots of nice ppl lots of not so nice ppl just avoid the bad ones is how I roll.