I need a group!

Options
Hi Everyone,

I need a group and saw the one for people in their 60s. I am actually 72 but feel as if I am 60. I am still working and hope to continue until at least 75. I have gained 10 lbs. in the last six months so I need to do something different. I like the saying that the definition of crazy is continuing to do what you are doing and expecting different results. It is time for a change and I could use some help. That's why I am reaching out to this group.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

If you see a thread that seems to be a group with the demographics you're looking for, you can just post in that thread.

If you look under the group section, you can click the join button and join the conversation that way.

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

Good luck! ☺
  • Lynncathy1
    Lynncathy1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Kmurray. I am starting out on this website today also. I have been dieting since the end of May and lost 16 lbs so far, but still need about 20 to go! I've been going to Healthy Weight classes at the local hospital, but the next one isn't due to start until early November. So maybe I'll try this website for support. I am in my early 60's.
    Good luck with your goals!!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Most of the groups aren't too strict.

Like example: the keto group has plenty of members that don't eat keto, but like talking about low carbs or the health issues discussed.

I hit join group on several groups, and then can always leave group if it's not a good fit. I've left plenty!
  • kmurray347
    kmurray347 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying. I saw my doctor yesterday and he said I gained 8 lbs in the past 6 months. That certainly was motivation for me to keep tracking my food. He also said I need to start exercising which I haven't done in about a year. I work for a university and Sept. is the beginning of a new academic year so I will make this the beginning of my new year of focusing on my health.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    kmurray347 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for replying. I saw my doctor yesterday and he said I gained 8 lbs in the past 6 months. That certainly was motivation for me to keep tracking my food. He also said I need to start exercising which I haven't done in about a year. I work for a university and Sept. is the beginning of a new academic year so I will make this the beginning of my new year of focusing on my health.

If starting a new exercise program...I suggest starting slow. I start at like 20-25 minute walks every other day (3-4 times a week) as my body gets used to that, I increase to 30 minutes. Body adjusts, I add in another day. I do the same with strength, I start at 10-15 minutes of light hand weights, or light slow controlled core exercises, then slowly build up weight or length.

Unfortunately, haven't worked out in a couple of months due to starting a new very physical job.... Too exhausted to workout. Can't wait until my body adjusts to new job.