How can you drink so much water!?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm a 12-15 cup a day kind of person...but I'm active and I'm in a hot and humid climate, so not only do I sweat buckets every time I walk outside...but I'm also at that special time in a girl's life when it's perpetually summer no matter what the external temperature is...so I'm sweating and feeling incredibly warm most of the time even inside in the air conditioning.

I just drink when I'm thirsty...beyond that, I don't deliberately drink more unless I am having dark urine...which generally only happens if I get stuck at my desk and can't get a refill on my water.

Unless you have having symptoms of dehydration, there's no reason to have a specific water goal.

Many people use water as "filler" to keep them feeling full between meals and such, but that's a technique for controlling food consumption more than anything else.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I drink to thirst and typically stay in the 3 to 4 range on that chart. I am healthy and my bloodwork, blood pressure, resting pulse etc all look great. There is no reason to force yourself to drink more than a gallon of water a day (1 gallon is 128 oz) and it could even be dangerous to do so if you are not replacing salt and potassium appropriately.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    mom2kpr wrote: »
    On the peeing front, I will say you and your bladder adjust to it if you do decide to drink that much water.

I find this to be true. When I first increased my water, I went much more often. After about a week, it was back to normal. I drink less water on the weekends, so Mondays, I make a couple extra trips to the bathroom, by Tue it's back to normal.

Totally same for me. In years before joining MFP, I used to drink about 34 oz of liquid in an average day (10 oz coffee, 12 oz diet soda twice, almost never any water). Now it's about 100 oz, and sometimes a lot more. I'm not in the restroom every half hour or even every hour, like I was in the first week of increasing my liquids!
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I drink 100+ ounces of water a day. Plus coffee and 1 soda. I fill three water bottles with 70 ounces every morning and refill them when 2 are empty. And I usually keep one with me at all times. It started as a way to drink less soda and save money and became a habit that I did because it was supposed to help me eat less.

Yes by the end of the day, 100-150 ounces in, I do feel like I'm in the bathroom a lot.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    ryanxo77 wrote: »
    I need some advice on drinking water. Sounds easy right? But I see some people are shooting for 150 oz a day. How do you not pee every 15-30min?
    I am a coffee drinking, ex beer drinker, and love salt. I know my body craves salt due to being dehydrated. I try my best and drink 2 bottles (32oz total) a day and that’s enough. I can’t stand to drink more than that. What’s the best way? Advice please

By preference, I ONLY drink water, but I will occasionally enjoy 3 cups of green tea or chai tea, which I'd only just started with again for the past week. When having to consider drinking water when you'd otherwise opt for other beverages, you must first not regard it like a herbal concoction of torture.

Consider the following, to best gauge the right volume for yourself depending on your expenditure:
    • Bodyweight
    • Climate Eg I live in the desert country, at a high altitude with strong wind miles per hour.
    • Activity level

Depending on your beverages of choice, you may work on upping your water-intake per 8oz or 16oz to start, as your first drink of the day, soon after you awake, on an empty stomach. You may do so too before your other meals/snack times.

For now since you're not a fan of water, try to build up to at least 25% of half your body weight of water in oz. During your high activity days, you'll need to work on shattering your water-intake ceiling as best you can. Pace yourself with how you'll go about this, to not ruin your efforts.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    "Approximately 80 percent of total water intake comes from drinking beverages and water. While consumption of beverages containing caffeine and alcohol have been shown in some studies to have diuretic effects, available information indicates that this may be transient in nature, and that such beverages contribute to total water intake.

While the AI
    (Adequate intake) is given in terms of total water, there are multiple sources of such water, including moisture content of foods, beverages such as juices and milk, and drinking water. While all of these can contribute to meeting the adequate intake, no one source is essential for normal physiological function and health"

Page 8: Suggested Citation:"Summary." Institute of Medicine. 2005. Dietary Reference Intakes for Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. doi: 10.17226/10925.

"Recommended intakes for water are based on median intakes of generally healthy individuals who are adequately hydrated; individuals can be adequately hydrated at levels below as well as above the AIs (adequate intakes) provided. The AIs provided are for total water in temperate climates. All sources can contribute to total water needs: beverages (including tea, coffee, juices, sodas, and drinking water) and moisture found in foods. Moisture in food accounts for about 20% of total water intake. Thirst and consumption of beverages at meals are adequate to maintain hydration.

Selected Food Sources: All beverages, including water, as well as moisture in foods (high moisture foods include watermelon, meats, soups, etc.)

Adverse effects of excess consumption: No UL
    (upper limit is specified) because normally functioning kidneys can handle more than 0.7 L (24 oz) of fluid per hour; symptoms of water intoxication include hyponatremia which can result in heart failure and rhabdomyolosis (skeletal muscle tissue injury) which can lead to kidney failure."

http://www.nationalacademies.org/hmd/~/media/Files/Activity Files/Nutrition/DRI-Tables/9_Electrolytes_Water Summary.pdf

accessed via: https://www.nap.edu/read/10925/chapter/1#xix

Yes, your normally functioning kidneys will have you up and about peeing often in order to handle excess fluids. Gives you extra steps and a reason to move. FOR MOST PEOPLE, it is also probably not necessary to set goals and desperately try to add huge quantities of water to what you are already consuming. It is unlikely that you were severely out of whack in terms of hydration in the first place and still healthy enough and around to read this. And yes, a quick gut check as to whether I am hungry or thirsty before consuming calories has helped many an overweight person. But downing liters of tepid, or warm, or cold, or lemony, or acv, or fruit flavoured water over and above what you would normally drink? Not so much so!
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have never measured the amount of water I drank, I just drink when I am feeling thirsty. I drink first thing in the morning and through the day, and during meals and after. I don't force myself to drink and I feel just fine. We don't need to drink a certain amount everyday, nature knows how to tell you to drink :) If you find water boring when you are thirsty, there's also herbal tea, juice, and fruit infused water you can make at home.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    I am currently on 2000ml and it's only 5pm. How do I do it? I put the water in the glass, I put the glass to my lips, I drink the water...uth-h-ello
    Yes I pee frequently but how do you think waste products (like fat) leave your body?! Pee and poop.l.akelnd if you have a good amount of fibre, as you should, then you need the water to help the poop too.
    Cut out the salt, drink the water.

To the bolded: Nope-It-A-Nope-Nope-NOPE.

Fat leaves mostly via C55H104O6+78O2 --> 55CO2+52H2O+energy.

Um, wot?

You exhale about 84% of it (like @quiksylver296 said), and the other 16% is water.

Here's a consumer-friendly version of the story, but it's consistent with cold, hard science:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/12/16/371210831/when-you-burn-off-that-fat-where-does-it-go

Drink enough to achieve pale urine as mentioned above (or, if you get lots of water-soluble vitamins, it'll be neon-bright yellow, but not darker brownish-yellow), and you're likely fine.

If you're actually under-hydrating, and stressed by frequent urination, then increase intake (and output) gradually over a few weeks. Make an effort - as long as you're near a bathroom - to "hold it" as long as reasonably practical, then go. Your tolerance (and holding capacity :lol: ) will increase.
  • sam_juggins
    sam_juggins Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I drink 13 odd cups of coffee a day and maybe a can of coke that's it. I've never understood the hype about drinking gallons of water to help you lose weight. Yes I pee a lot as I am sure my bladder is the size of a sultana! :D but I have to go up and down stairs to the loo so I think of the added steps ;) . I usually make a coffee too as the the kitchen is down the hall. 2 birds, one stone and all that!

I'm a #CoffeeJunkie
  • sexynurse801ms
    sexynurse801ms Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 104 oz of water a day. It's my preferred drink. I only have to urinate once every 2-3 hours.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I drink when I'm thirsty, don't track water in general or feel its necessary to drink as much as the 2 ltrs general consensus. All I know is my pee is clear and that's a sign that I'm getting enough water.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I drink when I'm thirsty.
    I drink if my urine is dark.
    I drink if my kidneys are acting up a bit.

I don't know how much I'm drinking although I did track it one week some time ago, and it amounted to about 3 litres ... slightly more than "recommended" but that included activity drinking, like drinking water when cycling.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    ryanxo77 wrote: »
    But I see some people are shooting for 150oz a day.

That's 4.4 litres.

That can't be healthy unless you're doing a lot of exercise ... or maybe the day is really hot.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    How much water you ‘need’ a day thrown out as a hard and fast rule is a load of nonsense, in my opinion.

Far too many variables and to make people think they’re ‘doing it wrong’ if they aren’t adhering to some arbitrary amount is wrong!

The climate you live in, how tall you are, how much you weigh, your exercise level, your work habit, how much of your food is high in water content etc etc. All these things have impact on what your body needs to function at optimal hydration.

Drink when you’re thirsty. Drink whatever you want to drink. Doesn’t have to be plain water.

I’m not a believer in the mantra you see bandied about ‘if you’re thirsty, it’s too late, you’re already badly dehydrated’. What a rubbish survival system that would be! The human body is better designed than that!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Water and black coffee are the only things I drink, or an occasional diet pop or iced tea. I don’t track water, as I have a 20 oz mug with ice within reach all day, and on the nightstand when I’m sleeping. Thirst is a great indicator of hydration.
    It’s not necessary, and may be harmful, to drink too much water.