How do you handle work dinners while on a diet?

Hey guys, just looking for tips on how to deal with work dinners when youre losing weight. I got back from a vacation over three weeks ago where i gained 2 and a half pounds. Only in the last few days have a started to see the weight slowly come off despite a pretty large calorie defecit. Im supposed to go to dinner tonight for work but really dont feel like messing with the momentum Ive just started getting. Is there any reasonable way to make an excuse to just not eat there and eat before? Or is that obnoxious and weird? Haha. Normally i wouldnt do that, but its been a major pain in my butt getting rid of these couple of pounds. I just want it over with and i dont really care to have a restaurant meal anyway right now!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    It's extremely rare to not be able to find anything at all to fit in my calories from a restaurant or work dinner. Just look for grilled meat (as mentioned) and vegetables.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    You have to eat anyway, so just order something light. 2 - 5 pounds is a normal weight fluctuation for me.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited September 2019
    Gotta concur with the others. There is always stuff on the menu for dieters / light eaters, always. Lean meats, preferably grilled, and side vegetables that aren't covered in glop will get you through it in pretty good shape. Careful with salads; they can be as many or more calories than the most caloric dishes on the menu (and a lot less filling, usually). Skip appetizers and dessert. If you don't want to have to deal with the scale fluctuations, order something less salty.

When in doubt, grilled chicken.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    If I am cutting and I know i have a work dinner or some other function, I either don't eat or maybe eat an apple or a banana, saving calories for later.

Then I enjoy myself. Get the best tasting stuff.

1 dinner, 1 dessert won't ruin your diet.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 443 Member
    Hey guys, just looking for tips on how to deal with work dinners when youre losing weight. I got back from a vacation over three weeks ago where i gained 2 and a half pounds. Only in the last few days have a started to see the weight slowly come off despite a pretty large calorie defecit. Im supposed to go to dinner tonight for work but really dont feel like messing with the momentum Ive just started getting. Is there any reasonable way to make an excuse to just not eat there and eat before? Or is that obnoxious and weird? Haha. Normally i wouldnt do that, but its been a major pain in my butt getting rid of these couple of pounds. I just want it over with and i dont really care to have a restaurant meal anyway right now!

Ordinarily I would just take the meal and end up going over my calorie limit and then get back on the horse the next day.

If youre more intent on maintaining momentum Id take the advice above, grilled chicken etc, and Id probably make sure I had a very light lunch to help compensate for the larger calorie dinner.

Also, I usually tend to look at my calorie balance over the week, rather than day. I often find meals like this tonight are balanced off by other days being under my limit over the week, and Im still in defecit...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    I admit I do struggle with this, not the occasional work dinner but usually when I have multi day work travel. It throws me off my routine, involves less activity and more alcohol. It can be a struggle.

I try really hard to get up and exercise in the hotel gym or go walking since it’s often in a new area I might like to explore. I try to keep my breakfast and lunch light just like I would at home and say no to any extra snacks that may pop up in the afternoons.
    At dinner, again when I’m really focused - I try to wait till dinner to order my first alcoholic beverage instead of getting one at the bar before dinner. That’s a slippery slope. And I try to order as if I’m spending my own money not the company’s - where as a lot of people see a work dinner as a chance to order starters, mains and dessert as well as high end alcohol simply because someone else is paying the bill.

These are the things I try to do but I’m not always successful on multi day trips!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I would ask for dressing/ sauce on the side, if possible. Butter on the side, stay away from bread and order what others suggested. Limit alcohol, if you are planning to drink at all, order water instead of soda or get unsweetened tea.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    I treat it like any other high calorie special meal, I monitor my calories and do an extra 20-30 minutes on the elliptical.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I would eat the work dinner, sticking to portion control and logging as best I can.
  • ku140
    ku140 Posts: 65 Member
    If you know where you are going, look at the menu today and plan what to get. This will help you make an informed decision early
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    If it's a restaurant that I would really enjoy - then I eat less at lunch and then at dinner enjoy myself going up to around maintenance calories that day. I usually do that for fun about 1/week anyway (usually Friday night), so this might take the place of that splurge meal that week. If it's somewhere that I'm just "meh" about (not worth splurging), then I'll eat pretty normally at lunch and order something light at the restaurant (almost everywhere has a "light" / "heart healthy" part of the menu anymore with things like grilled chicken + veggies for about 500 cals). If there's nothing light, then portion control - cut things in half when you set out to eat, etc.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    When I was losing, I literally went to the park and ran for an hour the day before my birthday dinner, to make room for the calories. You just have to plan for it, make adjustments through the week, do extra exercise, order smarter, whatever works for you to maintain your deficit. And also realize these things come up throughout losing and maintaining.
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    When I was losing, I literally went to the park and ran for an hour the day before my birthday dinner, to make room for the calories. You just have to plan for it, make adjustments through the week, do extra exercise, order smarter, whatever works for you to maintain your deficit. And also realize these things come up throughout losing and maintaining.

That's crazy ! XD
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    I would review the menu online beforehand so I know what I’m going to order. That will also help me determine if I should add in some extra exercise.

I have this coming up next week as well. Our staff reached a quarterly goal so we earned a wine tour, lunch at a pub and a tour of a brewery. I’ll choose my lunch in advance and will decline alcohol (just me, I don’t drink my calories if I can help it). I’ll go and have fun but I’ll be prepared.
  • MARILYNENA
    MARILYNENA Posts: 53 Member
    I check their menu for the healthiest choices and then I plan it to be my OMAD day and truly seize the celebration!
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Well, we were supposed to go to a place with steak and veggies on the menu, and at the last minute they changed their mind and decided to order pizza, deep fried polenta, and jalapeno poppers for our food at a bar 😂 Literally worst case scenario haha, but i ate two slice of pizza and some polenta and woke up a pound lighter... Go figure. Wish I knew all it would take to drop my last couple pounds was a dinner of fried food! Lol.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    When eating out, I almost always order an appetizer as my entree. I've noticed quite a few others doing this, as well. So I don't really feel awkward about it. My favorite choice is a caprese salad app.