Exercise Migraines??

Anyone know anything about migraines from exercise? This has happened to me for as long as I can remember, and it has deterred me from exercising for most of my life. I have given it an honest try and pushed through many times, but I always give up after a few weeks because I just can’t live like that. It’s misery.

When I exercise, I never get that endorphin high, I don’t feel energized and happy - I almost immediately get a migraine that lingers for about 24 hours. Yesterday my husband and I started the 21 day fix workouts, which I was excited about, but after we finished, my head started pounding and I figured I’d just go to bed and sleep it off. I ended up waking up at 5:15 this morning because I was dreaming that my head was being smashed with a brick, and it certainly felt that way. I’m a 7th grade teacher, and I spent today trying to teach with a horrible migraine. I had to turn off my classroom lights. It’s definitely not motivating to go home tonight and exercise again. I just want to crawl into bed. I drink tons of water, that’s all I drink, all day long. I doubt it’s dehydration. Plus, as I mentioned, this has happened to me since I can remember. It sucks and I’m over it! Help!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Does all exercise affect you like this? Swimming, running, aerobics, weight lifting, etc, etc?

Have you seen a doctor about it?

That would suck. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.
  • alittleunwell7
    alittleunwell7 Posts: 8 Member
    I get them occassionally if I push too hard, but not often any more now that I am getting in better shape. They are also more common for me if I am exercising while it is hot. I cant really comment on your situation, because I don't know how active you are or how strenuous your workout is. But perhaps try cutting the intensity way back to start with, and working up to it very gradually? It helped me. I'm sorry, I know that must be very frustrating. Also, make sure you are eating enough, I am way more prone to them if my calories are too low. I hope you are able to work it out.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Yes!!! Migraines suck and I would try anything to avoid them. (I currently take 2 diff meds for prevention, but weaning off one of them)

Intense cardio is just not my thing. I never got a rush from it either (I do get a happy buzz from weights/resistance type workouts), and the possible/probable migraines are so not worth it!

My current routine is working quite well for me - I walk/run/play with the dog (usually I get my heart rate up a bit, but don't push it too much - sometimes it's just a stroll if I'm not feeling up to more).
    Plus I am doing reformer pilates as my strength workout.
    That suits me and my personal fitness goals, though I know that wouldn't be "enough" for everyone - it's a balance that is working for me at the moment (only had one migraine in the last month, during my period which is nearly a guaranteed time to be hit with one).
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited September 2019
    I suffered from headaches most of my life but found two main contributers which may or may not have anything to do with what you are experiencing. The main cause for me which had me suffering crushing headaches for half my life was a low thyroid. Once that was fixed they went away until a couple years ago when they came back and it turned out it wasn't my thyroid this time it was my blood pressure. Having said all that I would talk to your doctor to ensure nothing is amiss with your general health before blaming it on exercise. That may just be making it stand out.

One more comment about my thyroid... I had been tested multiple times and told it was normal until one day I had been on a long trip and thought maybe I'd had a mini stroke. They tested my thyroid again and low and behold my doctor said he hadn't seen one that bad in years. I'm sure I suffered from it my whole life. My personal opinion is that when your thyroid is low you learn to live within the amount of energy expenditure that it can handle and the test doesn't show a problem until you move outside that window.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I suffered from headaches most of my life but found two main contributers which may or may not have anything to do with what you are experiencing. The main cause for me which had me suffering crushing headaches for half my life was a low thyroid. Once that was fixed they went away until a couple years ago when they came back and it turned out it wasn't my thyroid this time it was my blood pressure. Having said all that I would talk to your doctor to ensure nothing is amiss with your general health before blaming it on exercise. That may just be making it stand out.

@cheryldumais, you reminded me!

Headaches with ringing or pain your ears is an indicator of high blood pressure. Do you have those symptoms, @KailyKailyKaily?
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    If I get to the "heart pounding in my ears" point whether exercising or getting really upset about something I pretty much know I will end up with a migraine. I would try something with lower exertion like walking or swimming? Don't try to do too much to quickly, work up to distance and speed slowly. If you feel yourself starting to get to that heart pounding point back off or stop for the day. You don't have to kill yourself everyday to get some benefit out of exercise.
  • KerrieA87
    KerrieA87 Posts: 167 Member
    I have a chronic migraine disorder currently being “controlled” by Botox and abortive meds. My neuro suggests exercising as a benefit to reduce migraines but equally I know of many other migraineurs who find that exercise is a trigger.
    Can you do low impact/low intensity to build up your exercise tolerance level as opposed to diving in to high intensity?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I have a friend who gets migraines with more intense exercise. She sticks to light to moderate exercise. She mostly walks...does some easy biking here and there and some swimming. Exercise doesn't have to be all crazy intense.

That said, I would most certainly be seeing my doctor in this situation. It's possible that you may have an underlying health issue and exercise is just exacerbating that issue rather than causing it.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I would assume this is a form of stress induced migraine, since exercise is a physical stressor.

I have not had this issue, but at this point I have my migraines completely controlled with a ketogenic diet. If you are interested in trying this option there is some research out there for how to start...I believe for migraines they recommend starting 2:1 and then switching to 1:1 if symptoms are controlled...for me, as long as I keep carbs low-ish, my symptoms remain controlled.

Good luck!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    I sometimes get exertion migraines. I was given blood pressure meds and those help.
  • Hmm... I never get migraines while exercising.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    I used to get terrible migraines while exercises...I also never used to sweat. I would take a large number of ibuprofen prior to exercise so I could prevent the migraine and finish my workout. One day, I just starting pouring sweat during my workout and haven't had migraine issues since. I think it was a matter of my body overheating
  • Dhellia
    Dhellia Posts: 84 Member
    Yes, I have had this. I have had migraines since I was about 6 years old and often intense heat, dehydration, or hunger can be a trigger. As I've gotten older (and gotten on some meds and found I have a gluten intolerance) I've found exercise much easier to tackle. I always make listening to my body a priority though. I eat on a fairly regular schedule even if I'm not that hungry, make sure I have lots of water, and if I don't feel up to working out, I just don't. Maybe instead of jumping into an intense workout routine try to work up to it? Instead of going every day, do every other day or every third day until your body is more used to the exertion?
  • JessiNeko
    JessiNeko Posts: 4 Member
    I've found that if I overexert myself (over 170 BPM for me) I get a migraine, but if I keep the intensity lower, I don't get one. My Fitbit has been very helpful in avoiding migraines, as I have an approximate idea of what my heart rate is. Drinking a lot during the workout is important too.