Morbidly Obese to Athlete in 8 Months!

Options
Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes. It’s not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory.

My journey began 8 months ago, when I was morbidly obese and at high risk of premature death. Saturday was the culmination of 8 months of intense exercise and eating right. I set a goal on my 50th birthday when I weighed 248 pounds to ride 102.6 miles during the 2011 Hotter N Hell Endurance Race on 27 Aug 2011.

Here is a breakdown of my ride…
Wichita Falls Texas to Electra Tx 30 miles 1hour 44 minutes
40 mile mark 2 hours 18 minutes
50 mile mark 2 hours 58 minutes
60 mile mark 3 hours 24 minutes
90 miles 5 hours 31 minutes
102.6 miles 7 hours 14 minutes (unofficial time, timing chip race results will put me under 7 hours, due to not crossing the start line exactly when the race began because of so many riders).

You might wonder what were the most important changes I made to lose weight? It really came down to hitting it from all angles. Clean food to fuel my body, weight training to build muscle and cardio to burn fat. Out of these three elements, my diet was probably the most important aspect which helped change my physique. When I decided to be very disciplined with the foods I consumed, the changes were incredible.

Realize that food is a very powerful drug. You can use it to make yourself very sick or you can decide to use it to optimally fuel and energize your body! Research different foods and learn about the multitude of ways nutrient dense foods positively impact your body. Knowledge is power and learning how and what you're eating is vitally important!

Let your happiness come from your direction…not from your goal. When you have a goal you will be impatient and restless. With a direction you can be patient and live in the present. A great number of people are focused on a goal and once they achieve that goal tend to revert back to old ways. Thankfully for me I am not one of those people. I have changed my lifestyle, my direction, I am happier than I have ever been in my life.

I learned a lot about myself on Saturday, I realized I didn’t work out 6 or 7 hours a day to do this, I didn’t have a personal trainer kicking my *kitten* and I didn’t have a personal chef weighing my every calorie. I did it on my own, my way! I find these words to be true, you will find them in my profile, on my desk at work, and I live by them daily “The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there…as long as you’re willing to be honest with yourself about the preparation and work involved. There are no back doors, no free rides. There’s just you, this moment, and a choice!”

It is never too late to start. No matter how much you're currently overweight or how out of shape you are, you can ALWAYS start making changes and improve your life! It all starts now. Forget about yesterday and focus all your energy into making smart choices to live a healthier life. Today is truly the first day of the rest of your life!

Replies

• cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    that is absolutely incredible!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Well done you!!! A massive big fat congratulations...and big fat is gone :-))))))

What an inspiration :-)
  • kalcide
    kalcide Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story!! in 8 months too, you must be so proud of yourself!!
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    You are an amazing inspiration!!!

Thank you for sharing your story.
  • joyfulthanks
    Options
    Congratulations on your successful change of direction, and thanks for you inspirational post!
  • kdchick99
    kdchick99 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    WOW! That's all I can say! That's amazing!
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    That is such an amazing accomplishment. I hope that you are truly proud of yourself, you should be!!!
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Amazing story, thanks for sharing your journey. Very well written and inspiring......
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your lose and your goal!!! I loved your story it inspired me I will keepp it in mind.. Thanks for sharing your incredible journey.
  • HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration you are. Thank you so much for sharing your story! Best of luck on the rest of your journey!
  • mimi2kk
    mimi2kk Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! Congratulations on the you new direction you've taken and the ride. What an accomplishment. I love your attitude!
  • SeattleGrl
    SeattleGrl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well done...and well said.
    You are an ispiration!
  • sparrow747
    Options
    You've got a great perspective on things.... congratulations on all your efforts!
  • tf597687
    tf597687 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Absolutely INSPIRING!
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    WOW! That's all I can say! That's amazing!

I TOTALLY AGREE!!! Absolutely amazing!
  • ElizaBennettDarcy
    Options
    Congratulations on your amazing achievement.

I love when you said: "Let your happiness come from your direction…not from your goal. When you have a goal you will be impatient and restless. With a direction you can be patient and live in the present."

That is so right.
    I'm going to try and remember that one.
  • patricia184
    patricia184 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Well said! Very motivating! Thank you!
  • mikeeats
    mikeeats Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Awesome entry and you have truely been an inspiration to me and to others on this site. Great ride and event! Your timing and speed in that heat was outstanding! I"m really proud of your accomplishments and words of wisdom. I'm sure I'm not the only one that will tell you that your story is one that I will share with those that were in your shoes and one that I'm glad to say that I'm following as not a diet but a way of life. You have to want to change in order to make a change and with the support of people like you it makes that change that much easier. Thank you!
  • Cathy_5011
    Options
    Thanks for the post very inspiring!
  • J3nnaLyn
    J3nnaLyn Posts: 125
    Options
    I love that quote! Kudos to you and congrats on such a great journey!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!