Postpartum

Options
Hello ! So I’m a new mom, gave birth to my daughter about 2 months ago. And planning to go back to the gym soon but since my body isn’t as strong as it was pre-pregnancy I would like some advice for postpartum workouts.

Replies

• PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    You can do what you did before pregnancy, just modify.

You can also do prenatal workouts.

Make sure you don’t have diastasis recti (abdominal split) before doing any abs exercises.

If you’re breastfeeding, breastfeeding moms need at least 1800 calories a day to maintain a sufficient milk supply.

Sources: Birthed and breastfed 9 children, breastfeeding counselor, birthworker
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    You’re a mother of 9?
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    While I'm sure @PiscesIntuition is vastly more qualified to give you advice than I am, I would still suggest talking to your own doctor. We don't know whether you had a vaginal delivery or C-section, whether you had a difficult pregnancy, whether there were any complications in your delivery, what your general health beyond any pregnancy and labor issues might be, etc.

If there aren't any issues and your doctor clears you for exercise, you could just dial down whatever exercise you were doing before (last distance/time and slower speeds for cardio, lower loads -- combination of weights, reps, and sets -- for lifting) and build back up slowly.