cant seem to build strenght...help

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    jonmarrow wrote: »
    The burn is DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and it’s normal when starting a new routine. If you must do something, use a foam roller. Otherwise just carry on. It won’t hurt you to lift with DOMS if it isn’t completely gone by your next lifting day. If you ever show signs of rhabdo (dark urine, muscle weakness and pain) get to an ER but otherwise you just get used to it. Usually after your body gets used to regular heavy lifting the DOMS will go away.

As a newbie you don’t need to worry about accessories until you stop seeing regular progress from your main lifts. Don’t over complicate things starting out.

Dumbbell bench press is one way to build up to a bench press when you aren’t strong enough for the bar, and can also tell you if one side is stronger than the other.

thank you and approximately how long would it take until i stop seeing progress from stronglifts?

Um, I dunno how long it is for most people. It was somewhere between six months and a year for me? Guys, help me out here, how long did you stay with your beginner strength program before swapping to intermediate.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Idk. I still work in the 5x5, 4x4, or 4x6 range a lot. I've been lifting for several years, but also have breaks throughout the year and have to build up again. I've looked at other programs, and nothing else really works for me since my gym only has bars and plates. I add in extra glute work, pull-ups, and some other accessories, but the bulk of my lifting is centered around squats, bench, deadlifts, ohp, and sometimes rows. I wouldn't worry about how long it will take to need a different program. Run it until it stops working and then look for something else maybe???
  • fitpal02020
    fitpal02020 Posts: 193 Member
    11Templars wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I also think stronglifts 5x5 would be a good program to start with. Just go back to 5 main lifts and cut all the extra for a while. Watch some form videos on bench press, go back to the gym and practice. Ask if they have a 35lb bar or smaller to practice with. Can you do pushups?

sorry, not able to do push ups.
    so you're saying i stop doing my current routine and just do these 3 exercises 3 times a day and that would put me in a better form than my current routine?

You can do pushups from your knees if you can't do them in normal form. There is no shame in that.

The big issue with your current workout is that you don't seem to be working out your chest at all. That is where your muscles appear to be weakest and why you are unable to do bench press, which uses your chest primarily. That is the core of your upper body strength and you need to develop it. Strong lifts in only 3 exercises because it works multiple muscle groups per exercise. It is better to do fewer meaningful exercises less frequently rather than doing exercises frequently that don't work what you need to work.

Always take a rest day between working the same body parts.

thanks so i did the 5x5 today. I did squats, bench press, barbell row. All with 45 lbs barbell and no weights added.

I am confused about working my chest. How is my chest even helping me with bench press? isn't it basically my arms and how strongly i push up the bar? whats the chest doing? nothing

My THIGHS are BURNING. I dont know if that means i'm on the right track or if i did something wrong like I can barely walk.

Can I still do cardio afterwards at least? to complete my daily 10k steps?

So what should i do next? tomorrow is rest day, can i do accessory/random dumbbell exercises and cardio on rest day?
    do i start adding weights the next time i do strength training and continue to increase weight with each subsequent turns or keep same weight for a week before adding more weight the next time?

how long am i supposed to keep the strength going for? so im not even doing lat pulls or dumbbell curls or shoulder press, leg extension...any of these exercises?

Bench press is primarily a chest exercise. Your arms guide the bar, but your power comes from your pectoral muscles. It uses shoulders and biceps/triceps too, but they are secondary muscles. Without chest strength, you will not be able to lift much.

As far as whether to increase weight, that is somewhat of a judgment call that you can make when you feel comfortable at each level you are at. You do not have to increase every time and as you move farther, you are not expected to increase every time.

I think some light cardio after your lift would be okay.

I would not do any other lifting besides strong lifts for the duration of the program. Take your time and build the basics. After you are finished with the first round, you can look at maybe adding some other exercises. But the program works your whole body pretty well with those three lifts. That's why it chooses them.

but am i then like not ignoring my biceps, shoulders and triceps by simply not doing exercises like dumbbell curls, cable triceps push down, etc?

i am finding it hard to believe this this simply program that i only have to do 3x times a week is gonna be more effective than my current routine:

1. 4 sets of 15 reps of dumbbell row of 55 lbs. 2 on each side.
    2. 2 sets of 15 reps of shoulder press of 35 lbs.
    3. 2 sets of 15 reps of dumbbell curves of 35 lbs.
    4. 2 sets of 15 reps of triceps extension of 35 lbs.
    5. 1 set of 15 reps of barbell curl of 50 lbs
    6. 1 set of 15 reps of curved barbell front raise 40 lbs.
    7. 2 sets of 15 reps of lat pull down of 90 - 110 lbs
    8. 2 sets of 15 reps of cable triceps push down 40 - 55 lbs.
    9. 2 sets of 15 reps of leg extension 70 - 80 lbs
    10. 2 sets of 15 reps of sitting leg curl of 120 lbs
    11. 2 sets of 15 reps of leg press of 135 lbs
    12. 15-25 min cardio

please confirm.

You asked for advice. You've gotten it and it's been consistent and good quality advice. So, then if what you are doing hasn't been effective, why do you want to keep arguing for it?

You've gotten great recommendations. Follow them for profit or just keep doing what you've already done and keep getting the same results.

Pretty much this ^^^.. But, to over simplify; A push is a push, and a pull is a pull. Meaning simply this: every pushing exercise, be it bench or shoulders press works your triceps, and every "Pulling" exercise works you biceps, whether its arm curls, back day, or even deadlifts.

As the gentleman point out, if you want the same results you've been getting, then keep doing to same things. If you want the results I, or others have been getting then listen to the advice you asked for. It was free, and I guarantee it'll work better than what you've been doing.

I'm 50 yrs old, 210 @10 bf, I've learned a thing or two over the years... :-)

QFT ^^^^

I would add that I'm 56, weigh 205 (looking leaner than I did at 195 after my weight loss, but not quite a 10 bf), never had a strength program in my life until I was 54. I can unequivocally tell you that Strong Lifts and Starting Strength work. In an earlier thread I mentioned that I started with the bar. (Except dead lifts - started that at 95). In less than 18 months, I went from the bar to the following sub-maxes in pounds (meaning I had enough to do higher and that I have never tried a "true" max):

Dead lift: 405
    Squat: 335
    Bench: 255
    Overhead: 175

I went from not being able to do more than 1 chin-up (pretty much my whole life) to being able to do 10 - and up to 35 over a 7 minute stretch.

Do one of the those programs - exactly as they are written and it is impossible for it not to work. I didn't care what anybody in the gym thought of me starting at the bar on day 1, having a 2.5 pound plate on each side the next time, a 5 pound weight the next time, etc.

These programs work - for everybody. Even those of us considered "old" by gym rats (many of whom can no longer out-lift this geezer).

thanks, that was inspiring. and they would work even if my genetic make up isnt as good or if im fat, right?

• fitpal02020
    so stronglifts is also taking care of my overall health with things like weight loss and fat burn?

is it okay to do cardio post stronglift training and on rest days?
  • fitpal02020
    The burn is DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and it’s normal when starting a new routine. If you must do something, use a foam roller. Otherwise just carry on. It won’t hurt you to lift with DOMS if it isn’t completely gone by your next lifting day. If you ever show signs of rhabdo (dark urine, muscle weakness and pain) get to an ER but otherwise you just get used to it. Usually after your body gets used to regular heavy lifting the DOMS will go away.

As a newbie you don’t need to worry about accessories until you stop seeing regular progress from your main lifts. Don’t over complicate things starting out.

Dumbbell bench press is one way to build up to a bench press when you aren’t strong enough for the bar, and can also tell you if one side is stronger than the other.

thank you and approximately how long would it take until i stop seeing progress from stronglifts?

Um, I dunno how long it is for most people. It was somewhere between six months and a year for me? Guys, help me out here, how long did you stay with your beginner strength program before swapping to intermediate.

The way Strong Lifts and Starting Strength work is based on a "Novice Linear Progression" or NLP. The length a person is on a program like that depends on several variables, including genetics, eating program, and a few others.

These programs work on the premise that during a NLP, all loads are incremented every workout. Generally 5 pounds per workout on presses and 5-10 on pulls and squats. Once you can no longer add load, then other variables change. In each of these workouts, you do the same number of sets and same number of reps.

As the weight gets heavier, it may require longer rest between sets to make it work. In general, once you can no longer add weight to the bar, you've effectively become an intermediate for the exercise. That said, there are some strategies where you can squeeze out the progression for longer, but sooner or later every lifter's progress slows. It's only at that point where the lifting program that works is changed (and there many many variations that can nurture the progress once you are an intermediate lifter).

For me, as an older lifter with some schedule restraints I trained 5 times every two weeks, which made my progression slower than others. It still worked fine, but it took me about 8 months to exhaust my linear progression. Many novices blast through it in 6 months or less.

A word of caution regarding progress...you might not always see progression, yet still be in the NLP phase. This happens because of life variables - like maybe being under the weather, not eating enough, or just having a bad day. This is accounted for in the literature. For example, let's say you've had smooth sailing up until maybe a 200 pound squat at 5 reps x 5 sets. You come to the next session and fail at 205 at any point. Next session you use 205 again. If you fail another couple of times there, the normal strategy is to deload by a certain percentage - maybe go back to 185 and work your way back up. Many times the lifter will blow right past that 205 and not stall again for another 10 sessions when they are up to 255.

These points vary for every lifter. By the time you reach this point, hopefully you've read up on what to do about it.

Once you stall on each of the lifts, it's time to find another program. But you should always find a program that is centered around the compound lifts. Hopefully you'll be doing those the rest of your life.

Personal note: getting under a bar has been the single best health decision I have ever made, bar none.

thanks, so 3 months then?

once i am done with stronglifts program, where do i find other programs and how do i know which one to pick?

also...how do i know what exactly is the max weight i can lift? like lets say im on my 6th week of stronglifts and about to squat 100 lbs for example and the thought of 100 lbs alone intimidates the crap out of me.
    like what if i fall or my joint breaks or something goes horribly wrong..? how do i know i would be able to do a 100 lbs squat? how do i know whats the max weight im able to lift?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member

The way Strong Lifts and Starting Strength work is based on a "Novice Linear Progression" or NLP. The length a person is on a program like that depends on several variables, including genetics, eating program, and a few others.

These programs work on the premise that during a NLP, all loads are incremented every workout. Generally 5 pounds per workout on presses and 5-10 on pulls and squats. Once you can no longer add load, then other variables change. In each of these workouts, you do the same number of sets and same number of reps.

As the weight gets heavier, it may require longer rest between sets to make it work. In general, once you can no longer add weight to the bar, you've effectively become an intermediate for the exercise. That said, there are some strategies where you can squeeze out the progression for longer, but sooner or later every lifter's progress slows. It's only at that point where the lifting program that works is changed (and there many many variations that can nurture the progress once you are an intermediate lifter).

For me, as an older lifter with some schedule restraints I trained 5 times every two weeks, which made my progression slower than others. It still worked fine, but it took me about 8 months to exhaust my linear progression. Many novices blast through it in 6 months or less.

A word of caution regarding progress...you might not always see progression, yet still be in the NLP phase. This happens because of life variables - like maybe being under the weather, not eating enough, or just having a bad day. This is accounted for in the literature. For example, let's say you've had smooth sailing up until maybe a 200 pound squat at 5 reps x 5 sets. You come to the next session and fail at 205 at any point. Next session you use 205 again. If you fail another couple of times there, the normal strategy is to deload by a certain percentage - maybe go back to 185 and work your way back up. Many times the lifter will blow right past that 205 and not stall again for another 10 sessions when they are up to 255.

These points vary for every lifter. By the time you reach this point, hopefully you've read up on what to do about it.

Once you stall on each of the lifts, it's time to find another program. But you should always find a program that is centered around the compound lifts. Hopefully you'll be doing those the rest of your life.

Personal note: getting under a bar has been the single best health decision I have ever made, bar none.

thanks, so 3 months then?

once i am done with stronglifts program, where do i find other programs and how do i know which one to pick?

also...how do i know what exactly is the max weight i can lift? like lets say im on my 6th week of stronglifts and about to squat 100 lbs for example and the thought of 100 lbs alone intimidates the crap out of me.
    like what if i fall or my joint breaks or something goes horribly wrong..? how do i know i would be able to do a 100 lbs squat? how do i know whats the max weight im able to lift?

The main way is that if you are following a progressive program you did 90 the week previous and you know it wasn’t that scary. Also, if you’re squatting heavy you should really be in a squat rack. If you fail you won’t get hurt, you just set the weight down on the bars and squirm out of the rack, hoping no one was looking. It’s okay, it happens sometimes!

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    You don't need to know your max lift. If you are progressing each session, or weekly, you will get an idea of how confident and capable you are on each lift. Be safe, keep the safety rails up, drop the bar if you need to. I've only had to drop the bar on squats 2- 3 times in over 5 years. Push yourself, but be smart. You shouldn't push to failure on 5x5.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member

Really depends on you and your progress.

I ran 5x5 for nearly a year before it was too much for me and I needed to switch things up.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    how do i know i would be able to do a 100 lbs squat?
    You don’t but you try anyway and if you fail you figure out why fix it and move on to 105...

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited September 2019
    I also think stronglifts 5x5 would be a good program to start with. Just go back to 5 main lifts and cut all the extra for a while. Watch some form videos on bench press, go back to the gym and practice. Ask if they have a 35lb bar or smaller to practice with. Can you do pushups?

so you're saying i stop doing my current routine and just do these 3 exercises 3 times a day and that would put me in a better form than my current routine?

You can do pushups from your knees if you can't do them in normal form. There is no shame in that.

The big issue with your current workout is that you don't seem to be working out your chest at all. That is where your muscles appear to be weakest and why you are unable to do bench press, which uses your chest primarily. That is the core of your upper body strength and you need to develop it. Strong lifts in only 3 exercises because it works multiple muscle groups per exercise. It is better to do fewer meaningful exercises less frequently rather than doing exercises frequently that don't work what you need to work.

thanks so i did the 5x5 today. I did squats, bench press, barbell row. All with 45 lbs barbell and no weights added.

I am confused about working my chest. How is my chest even helping me with bench press? isn't it basically my arms and how strongly i push up the bar? whats the chest doing? nothing

My THIGHS are BURNING. I dont know if that means i'm on the right track or if i did something wrong like I can barely walk.

So what should i do next? tomorrow is rest day, can i do accessory/random dumbbell exercises and cardio on rest day?
    do i start adding weights the next time i do strength training and continue to increase weight with each subsequent turns or keep same weight for a week before adding more weight the next time?

how long am i supposed to keep the strength going for? so im not even doing lat pulls or dumbbell curls or shoulder press, leg extension...any of these exercises?

Bench press is primarily a chest exercise. Your arms guide the bar, but your power comes from your pectoral muscles. It uses shoulders and biceps/triceps too, but they are secondary muscles. Without chest strength, you will not be able to lift much.

As far as whether to increase weight, that is somewhat of a judgment call that you can make when you feel comfortable at each level you are at. You do not have to increase every time and as you move farther, you are not expected to increase every time.

I would not do any other lifting besides strong lifts for the duration of the program. Take your time and build the basics. After you are finished with the first round, you can look at maybe adding some other exercises. But the program works your whole body pretty well with those three lifts. That's why it chooses them.

but am i then like not ignoring my biceps, shoulders and triceps by simply not doing exercises like dumbbell curls, cable triceps push down, etc?

i am finding it hard to believe this this simply program that i only have to do 3x times a week is gonna be more effective than my current routine:

12. 15-25 min cardio

please confirm.

You asked for advice. You've gotten it and it's been consistent and good quality advice. So, then if what you are doing hasn't been effective, why do you want to keep arguing for it?

You've gotten great recommendations. Follow them for profit or just keep doing what you've already done and keep getting the same results.

Pretty much this ^^^.. But, to over simplify; A push is a push, and a pull is a pull. Meaning simply this: every pushing exercise, be it bench or shoulders press works your triceps, and every "Pulling" exercise works you biceps, whether its arm curls, back day, or even deadlifts.

As the gentleman point out, if you want the same results you've been getting, then keep doing to same things. If you want the results I, or others have been getting then listen to the advice you asked for. It was free, and I guarantee it'll work better than what you've been doing.

QFT ^^^^

I would add that I'm 56, weigh 205 (looking leaner than I did at 195 after my weight loss, but not quite a 10 bf), never had a strength program in my life until I was 54. I can unequivocally tell you that Strong Lifts and Starting Strength work. In an earlier thread I mentioned that I started with the bar. (Except dead lifts - started that at 95). In less than 18 months, I went from the bar to the following sub-maxes in pounds (meaning I had enough to do higher and that I have never tried a "true" max):

I went from not being able to do more than 1 chin-up (pretty much my whole life) to being able to do 10 - and up to 35 over a 7 minute stretch.

Do one of the those programs - exactly as they are written and it is impossible for it not to work. I didn't care what anybody in the gym thought of me starting at the bar on day 1, having a 2.5 pound plate on each side the next time, a 5 pound weight the next time, etc.

These programs work - for everybody. Even those of us considered "old" by gym rats (many of whom can no longer out-lift this geezer).

thanks, that was inspiring. and they would work even if my genetic make up isnt as good or if im fat, right?

Yes they would work. Don't worry about whatever that is. Your genetic limitation should take quite some time to find.

Basically, in order to run the program as intended:
    1. Load incrementally every time for as long as you can.
    2. Sleep enough
    3. Eat enough
    4. Recover/Adapt
    5. Repeat.

Understand that if you choose to add things like cardio, it may oppose strength gains...somewhat. Building muscle requires the use of building blocks (like bricks for a house) in the form of calories - particularly those provided by protein. If you do too much cardio, you are competing for those blocks. It's going to be up to you how much muscle you want to build. That's not to say you should do no cardio - only to say that it will slow down the building of muscle.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited September 2019
    There are plenty. I use and highly recommend Barbell Medicine, which has a variety of strength programs - they also have a Beginners program that will work just as well - it's just not as simple. The guys who run that program are MDs - they branched out from Starting Strength.

Okay. So another personal anecdote....I was in a severe car accident 3 months ago. As such I have not trained since mid-June (until a light re-introduction this past Monday, which left me quite sore). I had been using one of their templates for my programming and knew that they had a Beginner Template.

The Beginner Template is for beginners, but it's also for those who have had a long layoff (like me) and those who have done rehab. So I looked back into it.

Here is a link:
    https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/the-beginner-prescription/

In fact, that's what I will probably do, and I highly recommend this as well. There are outstanding videos for each lift, teaching form, as well as videos explaining the concept of rate of perceived exertion. If you do this template, you'll need to watch each of the videos, especially the one about RPE.

The full blown template costs, but the 4-week basic layout is free.

It is not quite as simple as Starting Strength or Strong Lifts, but the authors here have some pretty compelling reasons why it is likely better. It's a great read.

That said, Starting Strength and Strong Lifts will both work for strength. Barbell Medicine is into the bigger picture. It's your choice.

• fitpal02020
    thanks everyone for all the helpful advice.
    just wondering, ive noticed everyone keeps telling me to eat while im on this program.
    is this 5x5 stronglifts program going to help with weight loss and boosting metabolism or am i just going to turn into a fatty but...strong so like a strong fatty while off my ''current'' routine?

also is cardio doing on rest days or doing after training on training days bad?

and coming off my current heavy weight routine to doing 5x5 at beginners level, its still going to be effective for me and i wont loose my current build right?

should i still have protein shakes on training as well as rest days for muscle building and recovery?
  • fitpal02020
    like i just wonna if i should still do cardio on rest days just to meet my daily 10,000 step goal or i really gotta be resting?

12. 15-25 min cardio

please confirm.

QFT ^^^^

Yes they would work. Don't worry about whatever that is. Your genetic limitation should take quite some time to find.

2. Sleep enough
    3. Eat enough
    4. Recover/Adapt
    5. Repeat.

Understand that if you choose to add things like cardio, it may oppose strength gains...somewhat. Building muscle requires the use of building blocks (like bricks for a house) in the form of calories - particularly those provided by protein. If you do too much cardio, you are competing for those blocks. It's going to be up to you how much muscle you want to build. That's not to say you should do no cardio - only to say that it will slow down the building of muscle.

like i just wonna if i should still do cardio on rest days just to meet my daily 10,000 step goal or i really gotta be resting?
  • fitpal02020

12. 15-25 min cardio

please confirm.

QFT ^^^^

2. Sleep enough
    3. Eat enough
    4. Recover/Adapt
    5. Repeat.

thanks everyone for all the helpful advice.
    just wondering, ive noticed everyone keeps telling me to eat while im on this program.
    is this 5x5 stronglifts program going to help with weight loss and boosting metabolism or am i just going to turn into a fatty but...strong so like a strong fatty while off my ''current'' routine?

also is cardio doing on rest days or doing after training on training days bad?

and coming off my current heavy weight routine to doing 5x5 at beginners level, its still going to be effective for me and i wont loose my current build right?

should i still have protein shakes on training as well as rest days for muscle building and recovery?
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    How much weight do you have to lose? If you’re trying to get rid of a bunch of fat, that has to do with what you put in your mouth. So eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. Lift weight to gain strength. Now gaining strength and gaining muscle are two different things even though they TEND to go hand in hand.
    If you’re trying to lose fat, eat the right amount of calories to lose weight (whatever mfp has set for you based on your stats). Then work the 5x5 program to gain strength. Weightlifting while you lose weight is WONDERFUL. It helps your body retain more muscle mass as you lose and improve body composition. Do cardio on your non-lifting days.

This is honestly as simply as I can lay it out for you.

1. Eat the right amount of calories for your weight loss goal.
    2. Follow 5x5 lifting program EXACTLY. And stop worrying about “but what happens later?” That’s like a YEAR from now.
    3. Do cardio on your non lifting days. Some lifters call this an “active rest day”. “Rest” because it’s not a lift day. “Active” because you’re not sitting on your butt.

*Please note that I am not an angry gym bro.
This discussion has been closed.