The Gym is Still Scary

2»

Replies

• montyeva1114
    montyeva1114 Posts: 78 Member
    Still getting used to the discussions. I hope this gets to the right person. Sounds like you got lots of good advice. I suggest you go to eat he gym the two times you are comfortable and in the other days go for a walk or run after work. But an exercise ball and some free weights and finish with some strengthening exercises. Revisit the gym periodically and challenge yourself to “take up space” even for just one machine or some floor space. Keep trying until you feel a little less exercise. One day you will feel the freedom!!!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Interesting perception - in my case, the gym is scared of me! The gym members are so looking forward to see me jumping into the pool - and the gym manager runs out from his office, screaming: "Nooooooooo!" But too late - I catch him every single time. I get a standing ovation from the gallery when I do my special triple flop into the pool - the water displacement is amazing, like a regular mini tsunami. What's there not to like? I just loooove my gym!
  • patwalsh1414
    patwalsh1414 Posts: 17 Member
    I also don't like the gym so I do my exercises at home. It works much better for me.
  • traxless2009
    traxless2009 Posts: 13 Member
    So many excellent suggestions in this topic. And clearly from people who know their way around a gym. I’d suggest that the OP, using these nuggets, venture into the gym and make themselves at home. Your body and mind will thank you.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    I wish I could bring you to my gym with me. You would love it and would feel so comfy ... *hugs*
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I get where you're coming from. I used nothing but a treadmill or elliptical for 12 years because at least on those I had my own space. Then I wanted to learn how to use weights so got a trainer. I was terrified. Now I do all sorts of weird looking things in the gym (I enjoy animal flow and lots of body weight floor work) but I won't generally start it unless the area I want to use is empty. I avoid queuing for things or making it clear I want a piece of equipment. Fortunately I know how to use or make use of every single piece of kit in the gym and there is always something free. Once I have my territory I don't generally find people encroach such that I find it awkward, and I have a very low personal space tolerance. I realise it may feel different for you but I suspect that keeping your own space will be the easiest thing to start with. You have a right to be there by dint of having got there first and you don't owe any other gym user any more than common courtesy.

I think you need to have a full and frank discussion with your trainer. If you don't she won't understand and will just keep telling you that you need to go to the gym more. She might think you are lazy and need pushing. But if you can get her to engage with the problem then I suspect she will teach you how to use every single piece of kit in the gym, so you have every option available to you. In the meantime, people are creatures of habit. Have you taken the time on a Thursday to observe what people tend to do and what areas of the gym are quieter? If not, I suggest you do that, because asking your trainer for guidance in using the quieter areas could be of benefit to you.

In terms of doing stuff at home you really don't need much space or equipment to have an effective work out. A few resistance bands could be sufficient. Again - get your trainer involved in thinking up ideas. I also much prefer working out in a gym to at home, but if it's a question of working out at home or doing nothing - well - you know which choice ought to be the one you generally go for.

Good luck and best wishes.
  • secno1
    secno1 Posts: 9 Member
    Can be a great place to train but you can train anywhere. Time isn’t a problem I have loads of ten min hiit sets you can use