Food Scale Malfunction... not sure what's wrong... can you help?

I have the Taylor digital food scale, model no. 3865 BL. When I turn it on, it normally displays '8888', and then, when ready, displays '0'. Now it follows the display of '8888' with a brief display of '----' (4 dashes). I've tried finding a manual online, or at least more info on what the 4 dashes mean. No luck!

Any insight? Hope so!

Replies

• Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    I have the Taylor digital food scale, model no. 3865 BL. When I turn it on, it normally displays '8888', and then, when ready, displays '0'. Now it follows the display of '8888' with a brief display of '----' (4 dashes). I've tried finding a manual online, or at least more info on what the 4 dashes mean. No luck!

Any insight? Hope so!

I changed the battery!
  • Rachelmilloy
    But that didn't help.
  • neyagoal
    neyagoal Posts: 65 Member
    Did u check ur batteries? Sometimes scales go bananas when batteries are daying
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Time for a new food scale.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    No insight for you, but I did notice that my own food scale goes crazy if I try to weigh something when the microwave is running. It took me months to figure out that was the problem. And then I felt like an idiot. LOL!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Mine does the exact same thing when the battery is running low.

If you’re sure the battery has been changed and there’s no possibility that you confused them and put the old one back in...I’ve done it 🙄 or that the battery you used wasn’t old, then first thing I’d try is buy fresh batteries and give it one last chance. Still fails - time for a new one!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    cbihatt wrote: »
    No insight for you, but I did notice that my own food scale goes crazy if I try to weigh something when the microwave is running. It took me months to figure out that was the problem. And then I felt like an idiot. LOL!

And that’s just bizarre!! I don’t think you should feel like an idiot for not realising, not sure I’d ever have connected the two!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,785 Member
    “It’s dead Jim. “ 🧐
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited September 2019
    mine goes screwy around my cell phone sometimes. mine also has a removable platform that you can put in dishwasher and if you don't get it back on just right the numbers go screwy.
  • Rachelmilloy
    Thank you all!!

One thing I notice about these scales is that (from Day One) there seems to be a little give between the scale platform and the rest of the gadget, whether or not it is removeable, which mine isn't... and I've noticed sometimes jiggling and shaking the platform into a slightly different position seems to help with other issues. So, @ktekc, I think you're right that the dashes are trying to convey that the platform isn't "sitting pretty".

OK, will buy new batteries, and do one last battery change effort, and failing that, will be happy to buy another scale, now that you've confirmed I'm not missing some other fix.

THANKS AGAIN!! 🌸🌺🎺
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Make sure the scale is not laying on anything else, like papers. It's got to be on a flat, stable surface.

Good luck!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    ive been through several food scales over the years.

even with fresh batteries, sometimes they just die or lose their 'mind'. cheap or not so cheap doesnt seem to make a difference
  • Rachelmilloy
    I have retired the first scale, and its replacement is already on the job. A Starfrit this time - very slick looking. Sure felt good to have your quick input, so, thank you again 😊