Weight Loss: What foods did you learn to love?

Options
Curious -- on your weight loss journey, what foods did you not like before the journey, but learned to love during? For me there are a few (so far): oatmeal, avocados, and sardines come to mind -- I wanted nothing to do with any of those foods and now they are foods I look forward to. What are yours?

Replies

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I have learned to appreciate fruit more. Especially peaches and plums!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    eggs, black coffee, broccoli, radishes, cauliflower, avocado, etc.

and some condiments like Sriracha and various mustards

Also plain water. I realized I like it fridge-cold or room temperature, but not ice water. Years ago I was always trying to down ice water for some reason and thought it was unpleasant.
  • cheyeneinthesprings
    Options
    Watermelon!
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I've tried new veggies like golden beets and spaghetti squash, and items like kiwis and gluten free bread (I'm not gf).

I have a whole new appreciation for vegetables, in general. I'm more apt to pick out a fish I've never tried before. I'm expanding my cooking skills by making new dishes, which excites me.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Unfortunately I have loved all the foods a little too much for my entire life. I did finally decide to try some of those new gluten-free pastas--not because I believe I need to be on a gluten-free diet but because a lot of them have a great protein-to-calorie ratio.

The lasagna ones are pretty good (mostly because they are covered up with all that other lasagna goodness. ) :)
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,726 Member
    Options
    Plain vegetables, plain salads, black coffee( although I prefer Truvia or stevia and use Nutpods) everything without hydrogenated margarine or butter.
    I can think of foods I do NOT have taste for anymore and some I really do not like- gummy candy, ice cream, any fast food, packaged snacks and cakes, packaged cookies, pies, chips, tortilla chips, etc.

If it is fresh, rare and authentic home made then I can appreciate it.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Broccoli and oatmeal.

Also I've lost my taste for sweetened foods so fruit tastes so much sweeter.
  • LouVee186000
    LouVee186000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your great replies!
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Almonds.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    I didn't really not like it but now I get sad when I can't have my cottage cheese (because the store's out of the one I like).
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    Bananas. Cottage cheese. Fruit. Shrimp (all hail the mighty low cal high protein shrimp!) almond milk and almond butter. Frozen blueberries are like little fruit M&M replacements.

I used to eat salads occasionally but now they are lunchtime staples. Soooop good with steak/feta/strawberries or chicken/salsa/sour cream on top. But the absolute best is leftover pork carnitas on top.
  • GlowskiMcGlitter
    GlowskiMcGlitter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Dark sweet cherries, spinach, olive oil, hummus, tomatoes.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,024 Member
    Options
    None really.

I have learnt to have smaller portions of some things and have some things less often.

I did change from regular soda to diet, that was an easy swap.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,641 Member
    Options
    Plain water over Diet soda and Crystal light, but I add lemon, cucumber, and fresh mint to my water now. I also drink a lot of iced tea.

Coffee was my biggest change, it was gradual but I went from getting Frappuccinos or having Kcups to making my own cold brew every week. I used to add a lot of cream and went down to 1T, then discovered cold brew was smooth enough I didn't need the cream, just needed something sweet. It's not as natural as I'd like but sugar-free flavored syrup with a teaspoon of cinnamon is my new favorite and leaves me with 5 calories for the coffee.

I grew up not having many fresh vegetables and not much variety. I started trying veggies I've never had or cooked this year. Between the regular store, farmer's market, and Asian grocer, plus a produce delivery box I've tried a lot and generally like most veggies and it's what I eat the most of. I eat more now than I did before because of the heavy veg emphasis.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I like pickles a lot more than I once did, especially on sandwiches or burgers. I even have them on open-faced egg sandwiches for breakfast sometimes. And a dill spear with just about anything is tasty to me. Years ago I never even bought or ate pickles at all but I think they're a nice low calorie addition to a lot of meals.