Crazy hungry- how to stop

Options
At times I’m plagued with hunger and I’d really like to get that under control.
It usually happens when I’m on a high protein diet believe it or not
I’ve carried an apple and eggs in my purse but even after eating them I’m still hungry
I did a blood test and everything was normal
What do you recommend?
I heard porridge prevents hunger because it expands in the stomach
Thanks!!

Replies

• phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you’re eating high protein are you eating less carbs/fats? Maybe play around with your macros to find what makes you feel most satisfied. Make sure you don’t have your calories too low

I think oatmeal is usually good because it has a lot of fiber. I find for me it keeps me full longer if I mix it with peanut butter or have it with a glass of milk
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Keeping with a well balanced diet has helped me. I was going pretty low with the carbs for first few months and the hunger was always there. Try avocado with your egg. My breakfast today was 85 g of Avocado with 2 boiled eggs and a little salsa...Delicious and filling...Oh, and I had an apple too, because I eat at least 1-2 of those a day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    How's your sleep? - - Not getting enough sleep increases your hunger hormones.

How are your macros? - - If I don't eat a balanced plan with three good sized meals it messes with my insulin.

How many calories per day are you eating? - - You may have your calories set too low in general.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    If you're hungry, you're either not eating enough or you're eating foods that aren't satiating.

What's a typical day of eating look like?

Not always true, but most likely in this case.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there isn't a one size fits all answer to that question, as different people find different foods satiating, and different people can have different tolerances to hunger, and at different points in their journey. Some possibilities:

1. You are eating at too aggressive a deficit for your stats and need to eat more.
    2. You are low in either fat or fiber at those times, as both can be satiating.
    3. You are unusually tired or stressed at those times, either can mess with your appetite.
    4. You are more active at those times, and not fueling that extra activity.
    5. Some women have increased appetite at certain points in their hormonal cycle.

Figuring out the possible why's will affect what the best way to deal with it is!
  • psychod787
    Options
    Ok folks, let's not beat around the bush. I can post atleast 6 studies that show hunger increases during and after weight loss. Here is the deal op, be prepared for a higher sense of hunger post weight loss. It is what it is. If you are doing all the things @kimny72 says, and still having hunger issues. Well.... it is what it is.. wanted to ask... how do YOU define hunger OP. Is it pangs? Mental?
  • psychod787
    Options
    Well... actually there are several ways to measure hunger. Researchers have done multiple studies that gauged subjective levels of hunger on the same meal before, during, and after weight loss. They all show an increase in hunger and a decrease in satiety. You can give someone an oral glucose load before weight loss and get a base line of satiety. Then cause weight loss and judge. Objective data is response to food ques in an FMRI before and after weightloss. You can also check hormone levels for hormones connected with hunger before and after weight loss. The thing about hunger, is it IS VERY SUBJECTIVE. that's why I asked OP what kind of hunger they were having.😉
  • cmriverside
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Well... actually there are several ways to measure hunger. Researchers have done multiple studies that gauged subjective levels of hunger on the same meal before, during, and after weight loss. They all show an increase in hunger and a decrease in satiety. You can give someone an oral glucose load before weight loss and get a base line of satiety. Then cause weight loss and judge. Objective data is response to food ques in an FMRI before and after weightloss. You can also check hormone levels for hormones connected with hunger before and after weight loss. The thing about hunger, is it IS VERY SUBJECTIVE. that's why I asked OP what kind of hunger they were having.😉

She's not reporting having taken any of those tests, so let's not go down that path.

I was hungier when I was losing weight. I'm still hungry now at maintenance and it is a struggle for me to stay under calories consistently and I'm 12 years into Maintenance. So while I kind of agree with Kimney, I also agree that difficult to bear hunger can be part of this.

I've done enough reading to believe that some people are genetically predisposed to have differing reactions to food and hunger.

Kimney, you are not one of the people who are coming at this from a place of having been obese or morbidly obese, nor did you have any huge issues with controlling your appetite. I don't think you can really understand this, nor can anyone who has not lived it.
  • psychod787
    Options

She's not reporting having taken any of those tests, so let's not go down that path.

I was hungier when I was losing weight. I'm still hungry now at maintenance and it is a struggle for me to stay under calories consistently and I'm 12 years into Maintenance. So while I kind of agree with Kimney, I also agree that difficult to bear hunger can be part of this.

I've done enough reading to believe that some people are genetically predisposed to have differing reactions to food and hunger.

Kimney, you are not one of the people who are coming at this from a place of having been obese or morbidly obese, nor did you have any huge issues with controlling your appetite. I don't think you can really understand this, nor can anyone who has not lived it.

I sent you a message @cmriverside . Hope you respond!
  • psychod787
    Options
    Wanted to post this and I am DONE! LOL @kimny72 , you know I respect you. So, nothing here was meant as a disrespect, though, I think people should know what MIGHT happen. OP, I have spent the last 2 years learning. Collecting stories, reading research, talking to true experts in the field. I know you didn't come here for this advice, but I am going to put it out there. I don't know your diet, weight, lifestyle history, so take it for what it is. I would suggest one thing. Change a single thing about your diet. So, say, in the morning you were having a bagel with cream cheese ect. Make a swap. Just an example, but have oats and eggs, or whatever. Just change it. See what happens. Something that tends to be more filling per energy unit. Give it a month, by all means please keep logging! great tool, but its only a TOOL. Small changes CAN have a small effect, but make a couple over time, they CAN snowball. JMHO Best of luck!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I have been doing IF for the past 3 months and in order to lessen any feelings of hunger w/o breaking the fast, I drink liquids, like black coffee, plain tea and/or water, which fills me up.

So, if you are otherwise getting all of the cals & nutrients that you need, you might want to try that
  • cmriverside
    Options

I sent YOU a FriendRequest, I think that's the only way I get mail...
  • cmriverside
    edited September 2019
    Options

Friends ((hug))

Okay, now resend that message. :smile:
  • psychod787
    Options

resent... thanks!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

My point is OP literally joined the day she posted. We know absolutely nothing about her. There is just as much chance that she is trying to lose vanity lbs quickly as there is she is obese. If she is trying to lose vanity lbs, telling her with zero context that studies show its normal for her to be constantly hungry to lose weight is not helpful, especially if she is starving herself to lose a little weight fast.

I tend to stay out of threads where the OP is losing or has lost a lot of weight and is struggling with something I probably don't understand. All I was suggesting was not to project a complication that happens to some folks in a specific situation onto an unknown poster.

The post made it sound like we all know it is scientifically proven that everyone will be hungry when losing weight and probably for some time afterward. That is what I was responding to. I disagree with that. If that is true specifically for those that started out obese, it should've said that. But it still would be out of place, since OP did not provide her stats.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

My point is OP literally joined the day she posted. We know absolutely nothing about her. There is just as much chance that she is trying to lose vanity lbs quickly as there is she is obese. If she is trying to lose vanity lbs, telling her with zero context that studies show its normal for her to be constantly hungry to lose weight is not helpful, especially if she is starving herself to lose a little weight fast.

I tend to stay out of threads where the OP is losing or has lost a lot of weight and is struggling with something I probably don't understand. All I was suggesting was not to project a complication that happens to some folks in a specific situation onto an unknown poster.

The post made it sound like we all know it is scientifically proven that everyone will be hungry when losing weight and probably for some time afterward. That is what I was responding to. I disagree with that. If that is true specifically for those that started out obese, it should've said that. But it still would be out of place, since OP did not provide her stats.

I wasn't taking a shot at you, I was responding to psychod's and your disagreement.

I'm all about being a peace-keeper.

Both of you have good points and you're right, let's get back to the OP.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Well, I've been Obese, and quite possibly Morbidly Obese, as that was only 8 pounds higher than the highest weight I remember, and I didn't spend a lot of time on the scales those days.

When I have a moderate calorie deficit and focus on foods that satiate me, I'm only hungry right before meals.

Disclaimers:
    • Meals, specifically lunch, do need to come earlier when I'm premenstrual, and, as I mentioned above, I eat at maintenance for a few days at that time
    • I've been working on not confusing hunger with thirst.

I think it's more likely that the OP is hungry because, like so many people, she has some combination of:
    1. Choosing a weekly weight loss goal that is more aggressive than it should be given the weight she needs to lose
    2. Is not eating in patterns that satiate her
    3. Is not focusing on foods that satiate her
    4. Is not eating back enough exercise calories