putting information into diary

Hi everyone!! :)

I’m super new here and literally have no idea what I’m doing but I heard this app was really good for calculating food etc.

So my question is,
When putting in your food for breakfast lunch etc how do I put the exact amount of grams for each food? And am I putting in absolutely everything that I eat? Like for example for breakfast I had 65g of maple crunch with 250mls of soy milk and 30g of protein powder, do I input all of that information? I probably sound so stupid right now but I want to do this right :)

Thank you so much in advance!

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    Yes, input everything you eat, as accurately as you can. Some people use food scales, others use other measures.

Regardless of which you do, logging every single thing you eat reminds you of calorie counts of foods, and might lead you to better decisions on what to eat, portion sizes, etc.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Hey, Welcome. :flowerforyou:

The portion size can be changed in the Nutrition info box that comes up once you choose a food from the list.

This thread is a How To:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    As mentioned above, enter every ingredient in a meal separately.

You also have the option of saving those ingredients as a meal, if it's something you eat a lot.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    When putting in your food for breakfast lunch etc how do I put the exact amount of grams for each food?

I think this is what you're asking:

So, let's say the nutrition label on your maple crunch gives a serving size of 56 g (which might be listed in parentheses after a volume size like 1 cup if you're in the U.S.) and you find an MFP database entry that matches the nutrition information on your box or bag or whatever of maple crunch. You had 65 g, so you would divide 65 (your portion) by 56 (this is an example, so use the actual serving size on the nutrition label when you do this), and you get 1.16... (personally I round to three digits, but in most cases for food logging rounding to two digits will work fine). When you're logging your maple crunch, click in the box where it says "1" before servings, and change it to 1.16.

As for whether to log everything, yes, initially you should log everything you eat and drink. After you've been doing it for a while, you can decide for yourself what isn't worth logging (e.g., the lettuce, tomato, pickle, and mustard on a burger). But logging everything at first will give you insight into how much even the small things can add up over the course of the day.