My Introduction for Keto

Options
About Me:
I am a 34 year old mother and wife. I am 5'2 255lbs today. When I was pregnant my weight skyrocketed to 320lbs. I have a terrible relationship with food. I am a binge emotional eater. I eat for celebrations, I eat when I feel like crap, I eat when I am sad, and everything I do with friends and family revolves around eating something.

My History:
As a child living with my mother and step father, I spent most of my time outside and we were pretty poor. We didn't eat a meat except for 1-2 times a week. We all had to watch how much we ate to make sure we made it to the next meal. Cornbread and pinto beans or cornbread and milk was our staple. It was an emotionally and physically abusive home for my mother, brother and I. At the age of 12, I met my real father for the first time and I went to live with him. I was allowed to eat whatever and however much I wanted. So I did, and gained 100lbs in the first year. I don't blame my father as I don't think at the time he understood the extent nor did I think it was relevant to explain in great detail. I honestly was just thrilled to be out of the hell hole that I lived in for so many years.

Current state:
I started keto.. well dirty keto back in July 2019. I lost about 25lbs in month. I made a trip back to my hometown and stopped doing keto which was only meant to be for a couple of days and I repeatedly kept pushing it off until today. So here we go a month and a half later.

My main reason for stopping to begin with was I visiting family and shortly after I got back I had a flare up of a autoimmune that is still yet to be diagnosed. In order to counter the severe symptoms I have to take prednisone for about 3 weeks. I am in the middle of that 3 week cycle now but I have already put back on 10lbs. The problem is the steroids make me so hungry constantly and my stomach becomes a bottomless pit. It has been a vicious cycle with the steroids. I gain at least 25lbs every time I take them. That adds up quickly when the flare ups happen 3-4 times a year for the last 6 years.

Ultimately, keto is the best thing I can do for the autoimmune. Reduction of inflammation is key and that is something that I noticed immediately after starting keto the first time. My ankles finally didn't look like they had balloons wrapped around them for the first time in years. Even my shoulders, knees, and wrists got much smaller and I didn't even realize they were swollen all the time.

Back in June, I went to a medical weight loss center for help and they gave me these ridiculous guidelines that literally required a math equation to create the perfect meal for each meal. I tried for a few weeks but it was so complicated that I couldn't come up with easy meals on the fly. Even while I was doing it, I lost 1 whole pound in 3 weeks. I have a little over 100lbs to lose and at the time that was more like 130lbs. I am not looking for the magic pill and I am not looking for a miracle. I just want to feel better and lose some of this extra baggage I have been carrying around for about 20 years.

I don't have any support at home as my husband can't live without junk food (ie cookies, crackers, soda, candy, chips and bread) and he has no idea how to cook nor does he care to learn. My daughter is almost 2 and obviously this is not a diet for children but I still share what I make and provide her with a carb source.

I am hoping to find some people in similar situations and receive and provide support for one another.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

Buy a food scale. Weigh everything you eat and log into the food diary.

Good luck with your journey!
  • ChromeBaby
    ChromeBaby Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same boat. I was doing dirty Keto and got off of it. I’m back on. My question is, what grams do I need to set my macros to? I want to stay below 20 carbs a day. What do I need to set my protein and fat to?
    Thanks!
  • SarahAnne3958
    SarahAnne3958 Posts: 78 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Welcome!

I follow a relaxed carnivore way of eating, which is a sub-set of keto :)
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    There is a keto group on here and The Low Carber Daily Forum group. Both are active groups.

Macros are a preference. I personally keep mine at around 5-10% carbs, 15-25% proteins, and 65-75% fats.

• gabi_texanmom
    gabi_texanmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hello - I sent you a friend request. We have similar stats, background, current family situations, and I'm also doing keto. I hope we can help and support each other reach our goals :)