Whey

Options
Is anyone familiar with whey that is sold for weight lifters. I am thinking about using it as a source of protein. During the day I would like to take a snack of protein and have given it some thought using whey. Is anyone familiar with whey? Does this seen like a good idea?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Lots of people here use whey, some regularly, some on occasion (I prefer to get my protein from whole foods, but will use it on occasion with breakfast if it would otherwise be lower protein than I like).

Unless you have a negative reaction to it, whey is pretty neutral. If your protein is lower than you like and it seems an easy way of increasing it, try it out. If the idea is to curb hunger, some find it works, some find non liquid options work better for them.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I use a plant based protein powder since whey upsets my stomach thus upsetting my husband too. o:) It’s a great way to increase protein without the calories. I just can’t get all of the protein I need by eating food, plus the shake I make is tasty and I look forward to them.
  • Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    What do you mix it with?
  • lemurcat2
    edited February 2019
    Options
    If I'm using it at breakfast I usually mix it with oats (which would not be relevant to you) or make a full smoothie with vegetables and fruit plus some kind of dairy or homemade nut milk.

For a quick afternoon shake I guess I'd mix it with water or dairy. Especially if water, it might taste better with some berries too.
  • Chrismadison100
    Options
    I will have to give it a try. Right now I am have 100 calorie snacks of mainly protein. They are prepared for me but this only last for 8 more weeks. Then I am on my own so I am thinking of possible alternatives. I think I would prefer water over milk. The veggies sound like a possible solution.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Is anyone familiar with whey that is sold for weight lifters. I am thinking about using it as a source of protein. During the day I would like to take a snack of protein and have given it some thought using whey. Is anyone familiar with whey? Does this seen like a good idea?

Whey is a bi-product of cheese making that is turned into a powder and sold as a dietary protein supplement. It's good if it helps you hit your protein targets. I use it sometimes though I prefer to get my protein elsewhere because chewing on a steak is more satisfying, but my wife and I also eat a lot of vegetarian meals, so I usually supplement on high vegetarian meal days.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    What do you mix it with?

I'm pretty simple. I usually add 45g of powder to water. I also add 24g of PB2 to make it extra creamy and add a bit more protein.
  • Chrismadison100
    Options
    Great, so I can make drink it in the office. What is PB2. I have not heard of it before.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Powdered peanuts (basically peanut taste without the fat). There are a variety of brands, but PB2 is the most common.
  • austinwb8
    austinwb8 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased Amplify XL Vanilla Flex. It's actually pretty good. I blend it with a banana and berries or peanut butter (extra protein). I'm liking it and I haven't experienced any side effect (such as stomach issues). As far as flavor goes, I endorse. I'll report back on the results later.
  • Chrismadison100
    Options
    Have you tried it straight up. I am looking for protein I can take, among other places, at the office
  • ozgurvh
    ozgurvh Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi all, can I reduce meat if I add more whey to my diet?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I personally don't use whey because I get enough protein from my diet, and prefer to get it from food from a taste/enjoyment perspective. But there's nothing wrong with getting protein from whey if that makes it easier/more beneficial for you. There's really no evidence that it is more beneficial than getting it from food though, despite what some body building websites might say.
    ozgurvh wrote: »
    Hi all, can I reduce meat if I add more whey to my diet?

Sure. You don't have to get your protein from meat. You can get it from whey or from other non-meat sources as part of your diet. There are plenty of vegetarians out there who get enough protein. Some take protein shakes, some so not.