30,hypothyroid, and depression.

Hello everyone!

My name is Heidi. I just turned 30 and I need some fitness friends. I was diagnosed in may with depression,hypothyroidism, and low vit D level. I have struggled for three years (since my daughter was born) to lose weight. No matter the exercise or eating habit change. I even did all 80 days of 80 day obsession and never lost a lb.🤦‍♀️

I started lexapro,synthroid, and vit D back in may and I am now ready to look/feel like myself again. I hate what I see in pictures and cringe. I am 5'1 and weigh 148 looking to be 140 with ultimate goal of 135. If you have any similar stats friend me please!!

Replies

• Sicilianstud86
    Sicilianstud86 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi Heidi! I can relate to your story, right around the time I turned 30 few years ago depression hit me hard due to, well, let’s just say life in general. I’ve struggled to lose weight for over a decade and last month I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I’m finally on the right track to really get to work.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    edited September 2019
    Welcome aboard!

Are you seeing an endocrinologist?

If you're on Synthroid and this is dialed in then this shouldn't have an impact. Check out the research of Jeffrey Brown - he manages the thyroid disorders of several elite level athletes.

You many have to change how you work out a bit, but other than that there isn't much of a direct impact from the thyroid. Make sure you're getting a full thyroid panel instead of the common TSH only.

There are several successful members here with various thyroid disorders. I've been sans thyroid since 2000, listened to much of the BS about it and put on 70 lbs over 14 years. Once I found MFP I tracked my intake and output and lost 60 lbs the first year and have been in maintenance for 5 years.
  • AlexMorganMc
    AlexMorganMc Posts: 42 Member
    My weight/height isn't the same, but I've got hypothyroidism too. I was a zombie before I was treated for it. I'm glad you're on the right meds now!
  • Naturally_Monica
    Naturally_Monica Posts: 335 Member
    Wishing you the best of luck.. you’ve got this.
  • activemom31
    activemom31 Posts: 10 Member
    I have same issues too. Had a baby and went through post partum depression. Found out I have thyroid issues. I'm 149 lbs. I'm trying to lose weight and have tried everything. My doctor put me on levothyroxine, vitamin d and B. Lexapro. Nothing helps. I'm going to see endocrinologist next month. I also want to lose at least 10 to 15 lbs. ☹️
  • johitabgr
    johitabgr Posts: 6 Member
    edited September 2019
    Hello everyone!

My name is Heidi. I just turned 30 and I need some fitness friends. I was diagnosed in may with depression,hypothyroidism, and low vit D level. I have struggled for three years (since my daughter was born) to lose weight. No matter the exercise or eating habit change. I even did all 80 days of 80 day obsession and never lost a lb.🤦‍♀️

I started lexapro,synthroid, and vit D back in may and I am now ready to look/feel like myself again. I hate what I see in pictures and cringe. I am 5'1 and weigh 148 looking to be 140 with ultimate goal of 135. If you have any similar stats friend me please!!

Hey you wikk be surprised how many of us struggles with depression! You are not alone!
    I also want to be around 140 lb!
    Let's motivate each others

[edited by MFP moderator]
  • Hypothyroid here too. Started synthroid (super low dose) about 5 weeks ago so we’ll see what happens.

Hang in there, weight loss is slower with under active thyroid issues so I find there’s no point reducing calories too quickly since it doesn’t seem to work for hypothyroid anyways. Slight reductions work better like 250-300 below maintenance to reduce stress/cortisol levels. If you need reduction breaks I always schedule in a week or two of maintenance cals to keep my sanity plus it usually stokes my metabolism.

Just thought I’d share my experience living with hypothyroidism. I know how much it sucks, I used to feel sexy and lean but now I just feel unsexy and bloated going from 127 lbs to 246 lbs. I’m down to 229 now but it’s been slow. Thank goodness I’m wearing black in my pic lol.
  • ljm8330
    ljm8330 Posts: 1 Member
    Have you tried natural desiccated thyroid like Armor Thyroid, NatureThroid or WP Thyroid? I’ve heard that they are more effective than Synthroid
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    edited December 2019
    I am 30, and just diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroid. I previously lost 100lbs, and I am concerned how this will impact my diet and fitness, especially when I suck it up and start on the medications. :( I havn't brought myself to take the meds until I get a second opinion.

I must say, I am surprised to see how many of you are in your 30s! When I was first told, I was shocked because I thought "this doesn't happen to 30 year olds". Perhaps a bit of denial about getting older.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, especially if you had to cut carbs or anything like that?