Has anyone done a cross country move solo?

Options
SaraJ429
SaraJ429 Posts: 50 Member
Hi all!

I (30F) currently live in the NYC metro area. The summers are humid and the winters are long! This really seems to wreck havoc on my anxiety and depression, which I’ve struggled with my whole life. I am getting it properly treated but it still pops up now and then.

This is where my question comes in. I’m a HUGE beach and water person and found the beach to be really soothing for my nerves. Most of my extended family and a few of my childhood friends live in southern CA and think I’d like it out there. I could definitely manage financially and find a job out there given I work in digital marketing.

I’m contemplating the move. My mom worries that it’s just gonna make my anxiety worse, especially being so far away from my support system. My immediate family and tons of my friends are based in NJ. But in the same vein, I’ll never know till I try.

Anyone been in my shoes? How did it work out for you?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I haven't been in your shoes but just wanted to wish you luck should you pursue the move. 🌷

On a personal note, I have stress, anxiety and ptsd and can't imagine living in nyc with it. Good luck!
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I recently applied to a position in the Salt Lake City area. I was told there would be another position opening at the end of January, and to try back then. So I haven't done it yet, I am def considering it. And the idea is utterly terrifying to me.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    SaraJ429 wrote: »
    Hi all!

I (30F) currently live in the NYC metro area. The summers are humid and the winters are long! This really seems to wreck havoc on my anxiety and depression, which I’ve struggled with my whole life. I am getting it properly treated but it still pops up now and then.

This is where my question comes in. I’m a HUGE beach and water person and found the beach to be really soothing for my nerves. Most of my extended family and a few of my childhood friends live in southern CA and think I’d like it out there. I could definitely manage financially and find a job out there given I work in digital marketing.

I’m contemplating the move. My mom worries that it’s just gonna make my anxiety worse, especially being so far away from my support system. My immediate family and tons of my friends are based in NJ. But in the same vein, I’ll never know till I try.

Have you been out there a lot? The beaches are crowded and it depends where you go to swim but they can be pretty bad, not much different then what I hear NJ beaches are like.

The weather is good, sorta, depends again were you live as smog is a thing. Most people can't live near the beach in L.A. Traffic sucks. Get used to 3 hours being a short time and 6 hours being a day trip.

I would suggest going out there and getting a feel for the place and find the area you are most likely going to move to.

Other then the occasional hurricane, I would suggest the N.C. beaches.
  • SaraJ429
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Hi all!

Have you been out there a lot? The beaches are crowded and it depends where you go to swim but they can be pretty bad, not much different then what I hear NJ beaches are like.

The weather is good, sorta, depends again were you live as smog is a thing. Most people can't live near the beach in L.A. Traffic sucks. Get used to 3 hours being a short time and 6 hours being a day trip.

I would suggest going out there and getting a feel for the place and find the area you are most likely going to move to.

I’m really familiar with the area. I’m thinking of moving to Orange County, San Clemente area.

• cee134
    Options
    Hi all!

I’m really familiar with the area. I’m thinking of moving to Orange County, San Clemente area.

Moving companies can rip you off if you don't get a bonded one and do your homework. They pretend like your stuff gets stolen even though they just take it to a warehouse and unload it. Happened to several people I know.
  • cee134
    Options
    FYI my profile pic is currently Navarro Beach, California.
  • Seachange_dogs
    Seachange_dogs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey. I've done it and I'm actually about to do it again, except to throw in a difficulty level I'm actually moving countries not just across the country. Initially I moved when I was 19, from Australia to the United States, I was really young, eager and pretty much invincible. I've had an amazing time in the past 8 years, loved the opportunities I've had and the lifestyle but this next February I'm actually moving back to Australia, going back to school and generally totally upending my life. Right now I'm an anxious, terrified mess that can't for the life of me figure out if this is the right choice. However, I think it's mostly because of logistics and financial viability.

It's also been 8 years of living away from my family who I've grown closer to in my absence. Plus I'm a totally different person than I was at 19. Still, I think change is a good thing and I think trying something new is important to figure what makes you happy but also what doesn't make you happy. I'm moving back for three reasons, the lifestyle, the opportunities and my family. Plus, it's been 8 years, two dogs, a couple of smaller moves and a handful of *kitten* relationships, so why the *kitten* not? I've been stepped further and further out of my comfort zone for years and found that when I do, good things happen (even if it's not always instantaneous - actually it's pretty much never instantaneous and takes a hella lot of hard work and perseverance.

Anxiety is a thing you are unfortunately going to have to deal with wherever you go, at least that's what I've found but finding a place you love and a lifestyle you take joy in can make it a little easier. Plus seasonal depression is totally a thing and if you don't find joy in winter then you should absolutely try and find a place with less of it.
  • SaraJ429
    Options

Should I check out there? I’m a huge beach bum!
  • cee134
    Options

Should I check out there? I’m a huge beach bum!

It's up north but the less crowded the beach the happier you would be. Also you may have more luck in the SF area.
    The winters are a little wetter and colder. But I always liked the beaches up there better.

The best beaches I've been to are in N.C. IMO.
  • huddleup
    huddleup Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My daughter did a solo move from Denver to Kansas City. She had a job there but no place to live, no friends, no family. She quickly found a roommate and got an apartment. She found a church and began making friends. She's been there 3 years now and calls it home. It was hard in the beginning but looking back she wouldn't change a thing.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Yes.

.... with the authorities hot on my heels.

I doubled back & then took a left at Albuquerque.

Ditched'em.
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I moved from Ontario to Houston Texas but I wasn’t alone once I got there. I can’t help entirely but I can say, I did miss my family a lot. It was hard not really having friends. The people were really different to those I knew back home and it took me a while to relate on any sort of level. I hated the weather but it’s Houston so I kind of expected that. And I did get home sick and moved back home. But I did something huge I would have never had done before. I was much more independent without my family. I made new friends eventually and I learned to appreciate home. Sooo all in all, worst case scenario you hate it and move back home having met new people, experienced new things, and best case scenario you love it!
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    i moved solo from colorado to boston when i was 19

i say go for it, just get a job first
    who knows it might be that the people youre around even immediate family contribute to your anxiety anyways

This is actually pretty hard nowadays. Most automated resume sorter systems, discard a resume w/out a local address. Makes it hard to apply for places in a different area.