How do you measure this?

Let's say I make a sandwich, do I weigh out every ingredient and add into MFP individually or do I just put a similar sandwich thats in the MFP database? Same with fried rice, I usually put in a lot of different vegetables.

Replies

• Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I log and weigh everything I prepare, it was a bit faffy at first but now I'm used to it it's become second nature.
    It's the only way to know it's accurate.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    when I was trying to lose I measured every single ingredient individually, in maintenance I find near enough is good enough. As the others state, if you are actively losing you need to be precise, especially when you get nearer to goal with less to lose.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    everything individually
  • ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    I usually do everything individually but for things I make/eat quite often, I put them in my recipes so it's easier if/when I eat them again. For instance, this morning, I make myself a mozzarella cheese omelet using 3 eggs, 1 tblsp. 1/2 & 1/2, and 1 oz. of mozarella cheese. I then put that into my recipes so I don't have to post everything separately in the future. I also used a tsp. of butter to grease the pan but I counted that separately because most of the time, I'll use cooking spray.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    The recommendation would be to always weigh each ingredient separately and to use the recipe builder (or the meal option) to make it quick and easy.

That said, I have used generic database entries on occasion. I think if it’s something that you eat often, you should definitely weigh it all out. But, if you made it on a whim and don’t typically eat it, I would not take the time to build the recipe. But, that’s just me. I tend to take a very laid back approach to tracking my food. It works for me, but it is definitely not the popular advice given here on MFP.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Log every item individually. Period.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Once you weigh it you can save it as a recipe or copy items and meals from a previous day. Assuming you make it the same way most of the time.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited September 2019
    Sandwich - I weigh and enter each item as I make it. The barcode scanner makes this pretty fast (just make sure the entry it picks matches the label numbers). If I'm going to make basically the same sandwich the next day, I'll use the copy meal function, then click into each entry to edit the weight as I'm making the sandwich next day, so goes even faster. You can also use "remember meal" for things you eat frequently for same type of quick access - I still adjust the weights though because you don't always make it exactly the same.

For something where I make multiple servings (which is what I would normally be doing with fried rice) - I weigh/measure it all before I start cooking while I'm prepping/chopping everything, and enter that in the recipe builder. Then I weigh the finished product in grams and enter that as the number of servings for the recipe. Then when you load your plate you can weigh how much of the cooked product you are having and enter that as the number of servings of the recipe you are eating. If it's something like soup I may measure the finished item in cups instead of weight which may be less accurate but is easier when I'm making a gigantic batch in the slow cooker to freeze in mason jars. Edit your recipe title to include what kind of serving size you are using for later (e.g. Kung Pao Chicken (1g serving) or Harira soup (1 cup serving))
  • weight3049
    weight3049 Posts: 72 Member
    Sandwich - I weigh and enter each item as I make it. The barcode scanner makes this pretty fast (just make sure the entry it picks matches the label numbers). If I'm going to make basically the same sandwich the next day, I'll use the copy meal function, then click into each entry to edit the weight as I'm making the sandwich next day, so goes even faster. You can also use "remember meal" for things you eat frequently for same type of quick access - I still adjust the weights though because you don't always make it exactly the same.

For something where I make multiple servings (which is what I would normally be doing with fried rice) - I weigh/measure it all before I start cooking while I'm prepping/chopping everything, and enter that in the recipe builder. Then I weigh the finished product in grams and enter that as the number of servings for the recipe. Then when you load your plate you can weigh how much of the cooked product you are having and enter that as the number of servings of the recipe you are eating. If it's something like soup I may measure the finished item in cups instead of weight which may be less accurate but is easier when I'm making a gigantic batch in the slow cooker to freeze in mason jars. Edit your recipe title to include what kind of serving size you are using for later (e.g. Kung Pao Chicken (1g serving) or Harira soup (1 cup serving))

Wow, I didn't even realize there was a barcode scanner!

And thank you everyone else for the suggestions :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Useful things to have in the kitchen, in addition to the kitchen scale: a small dry erase board and dry erase marker. I have a small set that is magnetic and sticks to the side of the fridge. I tend to prelog my planned meal. But as I'm making it - I'll jot down notes about actual weights and then use that to go back to edit my log.

I like that idea!

Another option, what I do now, is to use junk mail envelopes as a notepad-substitute.

Then, because I'm a little eccentric this way, I sometimes use the filled-up envelope pieces as collage elements or background starters in my mixed-media visual journals, or other misbegotten arts and crafts project. ;)

For more tips about using the scale efficiently, check out the thread below (and contribute your ideas, if you have new ones) - I promise it's about scale how-tos, despite the silly clickbait title. ;)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498882/weighing-food-takes-too-long-and-is-obsessive

(Spoiler: It's not obsessive, and it's not always and universally necessary. But if you're gonna use the scale, by all means learn the tips & shortcuts! :) )
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    weight3049 wrote: »

Wow, I didn't even realize there was a barcode scanner!

And thank you everyone else for the suggestions :)

Be aware that a manufacturer will keep a SKU on a product and have changed the makeup of it many times.
    Difference ingredient amounts, different serving size, different package size, ect.

Which means the Nutritional info in the database is no longer accurate.

So you still have to confirm the food entry the scanner brings up matches the label in front of you.

If you tend to make similar sandwiches just different quantity of same products - good news is these items will show up under your Frequently used items, so after getting current weights for this sandwich, you only have to find your items and change the serving size - have calculator available too.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Be aware that a manufacturer will keep a SKU on a product and have changed the makeup of it many times.
    Difference ingredient amounts, different serving size, different package size, ect.

So you still have to confirm the food entry the scanner brings up matches the label in front of you.

Absolutely true. Happened to me just yesterday. I scanned a barcode and the calorie amount that showed up on MFP was 10 calories less than what showed on the box. I kept the scanned amount and then did a quick add for the extra 10 calories.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    cbihatt wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »

Absolutely true. Happened to me just yesterday. I scanned a barcode and the calorie amount that showed up on MFP was 10 calories less than what showed on the box. I kept the scanned amount and then did a quick add for the extra 10 calories.

Yes unfortunately this happens all the time - so it's become habit to quickly glance at the nutrition label to ensure a match. When I have a computer handy I try to be a good samaritan and update the entry in the database.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited September 2019
    Something I have a lot, like fried rice, I will make a recipe for it on MFP. Then when I make it again, I go into the recipe and change the amounts. When I add a different vegetable, I edit to add that vegetable. If I don’t use it next time, I will just edit the amount to 0. That way I can see what different things I have added before/could add when I make it again.