Can't Eat Anymore SALAD!!!

Options

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    If you don't like them, don't eat them.

You're not on a diet. You're not being punished.

This is your new lifestyle - find foods that you love and are healthy. Personally, I like sandwiches.

:smile:
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I make a huge pot of some veggie based dish on a sunday, to last me the week for lunches. It's things like pasta in a tomato sauce, sweet & sour veg with noodles, rice and veg, potato & veg soup, veg curry, you get the idea. I do have access to a microwave at work, which helps. Salad doesnt have to be all about lettuce either, just pick some other veggies to put in it.

Hope this helps, good luck!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Well, with a microwave you can cook something in your free time and heat it up at work.

I've made this before, it's yummy and lasted a few days:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/fried-rice-with-scallions-edamame-and-tofu-recipe/index.html

But yeah, you can eat all sorts of things other than salad! I've always personally thought salad was a pain in the *kitten* to make! :)
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i know how you feel. i used to make myself a salad for lunch everyday. i can't eat it anymore. lol.. i now eat bagel thins with laughing cow cheese-spread and a slice of deli meat and tons of veggies. very filling and calorie wise.

and whoever said salad is bad for you.. ummm if you make your own salad, its wayyy better for you than a slice of pizza. i shred romaine lettuce, chop some tomatoes, toss a few crutons, 1-2 tbsp of cottage cheese and some light dressing. how is that bad for you???
  • Jennyjeans
    Options
    Awwww you sound like me! Healthy food is soo much more expensive :( But I am also getting married, paying off credit cards and trying to buy a house. I eat lean cuisines for lunch almost everyday and they have enough different options that they do not get old. The only down side to them is they only have between 170-350 calories so I usually need a 100 calorie snack later in the day.
  • kmo566
    kmo566 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • kristlynngirl
    kristlynngirl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It doesn't help that the smell of tuna gags me and I can't get anything mayo heavy like a chicken or egg salad down. It makes me wanna throw up in my mouth, lol.

I've found it hard to eat actual meals or sandwiches and stay within my calories for the day, especially if I have something like eggs at breakfast.

I've never had tofu or spaghetti squash or anything like that...kinda weirds me out, but maybe I should try it. I have gotten used to veggie burgers and some fake-out meat things from Boca and Morningstar. I like Lean Cuisines and stuff like that, but for the most part the portions seem very small to me and I'm still hungry which is a bummer for how expensive they are.
  • alaliberte
    alaliberte Posts: 205
    Options
    I agree with most of the posts here. Some nights I'm lazy and just cut up a cucumber and a tomato and a handful of carrots. I call that salad! Another thing I've found works for me but I didn't see it here: hummus. It's just the right amount of fats and yummy spices to make you think you are eating naughty, but it's really not! I take a small container with me to work and just dip away.

And big yes to cooking and having leftovers! Time saving for us moms, so delicious the next night. Just get some rubbermaid containers and pack in a soup or casserole.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    steamed vegies? you can chop them all up and bring them in a microwave steamer and steam them at work, add a little butter and chicken salt for flavour...

or just change it up, it's not going to kill you to eat normal food, as long as you control the quantity and make sure it isn't loaded with fat and salt and sugar.
  • kristlynngirl
    Options
    I've actually never had hummus.
  • NPS1985
    NPS1985 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    BUMP:smile:
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I have access to a microwave and a toaster...I wish we had a stove like my old job! But, beggars can't be choosers. The two days a week I go get to cook I try to cook extra so that myself and my fiance can take food to work instead of spending money eating out....but we're also on a tight budget trying to pay things off, plan a wedding and save for a house.

May be try what my friend does: she cook only weekend. She find those frozen meal plan, cook them at weekend, then portion size them and freeze them. Thru out the week, she and her family just take out portion, heat and eat homemade meal.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Salad isn't that great for you. Just good for filling you up without alot of nutrition abd depending the what's in it and the dressing, they can be high in calories too.

A sandwich on whole grain bread, lean meat (watch the sodium) is better. Toss in a fruit and veggie and alot more nutrition for your meal.

Another great option is to cook on the weekends or do a crock pot or pressure cooker meal on the weekend and divide up into meals that you can eat all week.

Maybe make a little more at dinner and have left overs.......

Best of Luck!!!

I just don't even really know what to say to this. Organic dark green leafy greens, herbs, a carrot, celery, 1/2 tomato, 1/2 red bell pepper, shredded mozzarella, and kidney beans topped with a little raspberry vinaigrette or caesar is probably one of the healthiest things anybody could possibly eat! Tons of whole vegetables are NOT that great for you? What?
  • TanyaDelAngel
    TanyaDelAngel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Steamed veggies :D
  • sarahsoki
    Options
    I get burned out on lettuce quickly. I do however ALWAYS want kale. It has loads more nutrition, including protein. It's best with a vinegar based dressing soaked into it for a while to make it tender. I dig it with a berry vinagerette with chopped walnuts and fresh berries. Nom.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You can use meatless spaggetti sauce and then use zucchini as the noodles.....just cut them in long thin strips and boil for about 2 mins and you are good to go....you can eat a grip of it and its under 200 cals
  • kristlynngirl
    Options
    You can use meatless spaggetti sauce and then use zucchini as the noodles.....just cut them in long thin strips and boil for about 2 mins and you are good to go....you can eat a grip of it and its under 200 cals

This actually sounds really good!
  • lisamac62
    lisamac62 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Sometimes instead of using mayo I use lite Ranch dressing. A friend that hates mayo told me she did this and I tried it....different but good
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I bake chicken breast and sweet potatoes sunday and take it to work with me!
  • elimenohpe
    Options
    As it's getting colder, why not try homemade soup? I crave this base recipe and it's totally flexible with ingredients you have lying around.

BASE
    Saute 1 onion and add garlic
    Add 1 liter (squishy container) of low sodium chicken or veggie stock
    Add one head chopped cabbage and whatever other goodies you have

PLUS
    2 cans italian stewed tomatoes
    Chop: carrots, zucchini and yellow squash, fresh green beans, corn or lima beans depending on what's on sale.

Add extra italian spices and I love to add cayenne pepper to give it a kick.

Makes about 10 cups. I added all the nutrition factors for each ingredient into MFP and it's less than 90 cals per cup using everything listed ( 3 carrots, 3 zucchini, 2 yellow squash, 1c. (chopped) fresh green beans, 3/4 c. corn, 3/4 c. lima beans)

ALSO...

Try making your own veggie burgers from brown rice, black beans, oatmeal, etc. There's tons of recipes online. This one is yummy : http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/restaurant-reproductions/restaurant-reproduction-bestever-veggie-burgers-from-northstar-cafe-096967

I prefer Franklin Farms Orginal Fresh Veggiburger to the frozen stuff...I find it in the health food / organic section of the grocery store and you can actually see real corn, black beans and carrots in them.