College student + Full time job = Disaster! Advice Plz...

Options
I am a full time college student with a Full time office job so I am always on the run! I have lost 35 lbs so far this summer but that is because I was out of school so I had a lot of time on my hands! I am not trying to make excuses because I really want this and this summer I proved to myself that with dedication and determination I can do this. BUT with school starting in a week and with a full time job I do not want to fall into the old routine of always being on the run and eating bad and not working out! I like this new me I have become in the past 3 months! 35 lbs in 3 months is not bad at all and NOW I WANT IT! I really want to lose 100 plus pounds and be the person I feel I have never been! Please share your ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS! I want this so bad and I am willing to try anything that might work. PLEASE HELP!

Replies

• punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Options
    I am right there with ya. So far, I'm not doing too good of a job of balancing the two. (Of course, being sick and weighted down with doctor appointments and other responsibilities has had to take a front burner and hasn't helped much.) I will definitely be watching this topic, as I've been stuck at 310lbs for almost a month now. I want to break that 300 mark by October 1st!!
  • clairibou1
    clairibou1 Posts: 124
    Options
    bump! i am only in high school but i am in lots of activities and have a ridiculous amount of homework- advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I am also in the same situation, I would like to see what people have to say as well
  • ciege77
    ciege77 Posts: 60
    Options
    My two cents: Plan your meals out at least the night before, so you know how much you're going to be eating the next day. That may help keep you from making impulse decisions at the fast-food chain that you'll later regret at the scales...
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I lead a pretty crazy schedule myself. What helps for me is to plan out my meals every weekend. I go to skinnytaste.com, find 2-3 meals and shop for them/make them on the weekend so that I have something good to eat and I'm not getting away from good behavior! Aside from that, I feel like a hamster stuck in the wheel sometimes...right there with yah...

:) Good luck!
  • rmeenen
    rmeenen Posts: 23
    Options
    I know that when I was in this situation I just focused on my eating at first. If you can continue to eat healthy throughout your hectic schedule it will help you in the long run. Pack your own meals and snacks for the day...this really helped me cut back on the unhealthy foods. As far as workouts I know how tough it can be to fit these in but I would do the little things like take the stairs or the park farther away from class or work. I know this isn't a lot but it all counts! Once you have your schedule maybe to a point than you can start fitting in more hard core workouts and possibly just start with these on the weekends. Hope this helps and good luck with school and your weight loss journey!!
  • kmhamilton6
    kmhamilton6 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. PLAN AHEAD..PLAN AHEAD..PLAN AHEAD...

also write down a schedule for yourself, in terms of your workouts...so it built in your everyday routine.

I do not know if you use public transportation where u are, but u could get off the train or bus a couple of stops before your "normal" stop to force yourself to walk to work or wherever you are going...

Ig you write schedule down, you can keep track of everything that you are doing and reward yourself weekly or biweekly JUST for following your schedule....
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I just finished my degree, while working full time the whole time. I would suggest planning you meals out, a week at a time if possible. This way each day you know exactly what to grab and go with. Bring as much food with you as possible. For me it was breakfast, lunch and dinner. My classes were at night from 6-10. I brought water and kept chugging to keep me full.
    I relied on my lunch break to do a lot of my exercise, or the time between work and school.

It is possible, you can do it!
  • gigglemachine
    gigglemachine Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'll be in the same situation in a weeks time. I'm planning to prepare my meals as much as possible the day before and will take healthy snacks in to uni and work so i'm not tempted to make bad choices. I commute long distances so I am unable to walk to my destinations so will work out early in the morning or when i get home.

Are you able to walk to college or work? How about walking outside during your breaks? Keep healthy snacks with you and think about the reasons you want to lose weight/be healthier/be fitter and imagine yourself at your goal. Remember, you have obviously worked so hard to lose that amount of weight already, you don't want your hard work to be for nothing.

You can do this and you WILL do this :)
  • JMYGA
    JMYGA Posts: 26
    Options
    My two cents: Plan your meals out at least the night before, so you know how much you're going to be eating the next day. That may help keep you from making impulse decisions at the fast-food chain that you'll later regret at the scales...

This is what I've been doing and it's an excellent way to stay on track.
  • JMikael
    JMikael Posts: 1
    Options
    This is how you do it.

Plan you're meals out, if you can't cook you can bring along fruit or bars. Split up your day into 5 meals, which is eating every 2-3 hours. It speeds up your metabolism and lessens cravings.

For the working out part.

2 choices:

1. Make it a habit to work out at the same time of the day, if you're busy either early in the morning or at night. This is where most people fail, not that they can't do it, they just have low self-discipline or will power. And plus, once you get into a habit of it, that's what it will become, a habit. No more dreading.

2. Don't work out.

Speaking from the point of view from someone who completed INSANITY from beach body this summer. You. Can. Do. It!
  • jms57
    jms57 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation now! I start school for my masters degree in a couple days and I worry that I won't have time to work out! I'm going to try to plan at least a couple times a week to work out even just for an hour.
  • world2c
    world2c Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I agree- plan your meals in advance, but also plan in your gym/workout time in there.... I know, easier said then done. I was a student many moons ago, and I took a couple of university sanctioned workout classes just to keep up with it.... If you don't have those available, I'd say make sure you find time and set it aside, morning or evening, and just do it, it should help keep down the stress too.... I used to bring my books with me and read on the stationary bike- I found the eliptical was a little harder, but..... Or just walk/ride your bike- I found I enjoyed walking the 2 miles home to my apt.... Maybe you might want to consider workout videos- just a quick 20-40 minutes and you're done....Good luck to you!!!
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I have so been there! I take groceries into work once a week or so. Bagged salad, stuff for sandwiches, lots of snacks. I really like kellogg's meal bars and slim fast snack bars. I pre-bag carrots, raisins, celery-what ever produce I bought that week. Make large healthy meals in a crock-pot for the week or at least a couple of days. That way when you get home you only have to heat it up. Or if you work late you can even take it to work. Maybe on your breaks grab a banana and go for a walk.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Also maybe you can fit some type of aerobics or exercise class into your school schedule.
  • ad_brunner
    Options
    I am in the same boat. It's so HARD trying to find time between the two for exercise and homework plus sleep. I try to work out either late at night or first thing in the morning. Good Luck!