What does it mean to eat 'at maintenance'?

I've seen lots of folks refer to this, and it must have some kind of a formula attached to it, but for those of us who are kind of new, what exactly does this mean and how do we translate this into specific amounts, cals, etc? Thanks.

I'm especially interested in how to do this on the way to getting to my goal weight that is still 25-30 lbs away. I'm doing 1250 cals a day, losing slowly.

Appreciate!

Replies

• bosque1234
    bosque1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Thanks!!!!

Most people have a maintenance range rather than an exact number as even in maintenance weight varies depending on conditions like TOM, water weight, new workout, etc. (My range is 100-105lbs thought I generally weigh 102-103).

Cheers, h. [/quote]

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Every MFP calorie estimate that you are given starts with projected maintenance calories. Basically MFP takes you weight, height, age, and gender and generates a BMR, which the an estimated amount your body burns if you were in a coma. Then it multiplies that amount by a specific multiplier depending on the activity level you select. That will give you your maintenence calories before exercise. MFP then will subtract an amount of calories based on how much weight you told it you wanted to lose, and then will give you a calorie goal. MFP subtracts 250 calories per half pound of loss. So let's say you told MFP you wanted to lose a pound a day when you started, and it gave you your goal of 1250. That means that your maintenance calories would be 1750, plus eating back exercise calories, the same as anyone losing weight.

Now most people when they actually get to maintenance may find their personal number a bit different, just like during weight loss. But that is the general idea.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Just change your MFP profile from weight loss to maintenance and you will see what MFP estimates for you. Then you can change it back to weight loss.