Heart rate seems TOO steady

Options
I've been doing intervals on the treadmill with a powerwalk and jogging. I don't have a proper HTM so I just use the one on the handle. After a high speed, it seems like my HR is at most 145 and goes down to 125 within a minute of a slower pace. Is that normal? Is my jogging speed just not very high?

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I have never ever found the heart rate thingies on the machines to be effective or accurate at all.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust the number on the machine. The most accurate number you can get is from a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. There has been times where I test the machine just to see what it says and it will tell me that my heart rate is 64 after running at 6 mph.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your max heart rate. I try to reach 155-165 then decrease to 130s. Try increasing your running pace to where you are not just jogging but actually fast pace run. Hope that helps.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Yeah...the handle heart rate thing on my treadmill is truly worthless...it is never consistent.
  • sarahsoki
    Options
    Yeah...the handle heart rate thing on my treadmill is truly worthless...it is never consistent.

It seems like they are though! I realized I left out that at rest they have measured the same as a count from my neck.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

It seems like they are though! I realized I left out that at rest they have measured the same as a count from my neck.

I'll make it a point to compare my treadmill's reading tonight to my HRM...see what the real deal is :smile:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Handrail sensors on treadmills are not really designed to be used for running. If you are trying to grip the sensors while running, the pounding on the deck, as well as perspiration, can interfere with the sensor pickup.

If you set the TM to a lower speed after an interval, by the time the belt slows down and you get a grip, and the sensors acquire the signal, there could be a drop in heart rate.

For heart rate to decrease 20 beats in one minute after finishing an interval and going to recovery speed is not unusual.