My fitness pal- is it messed up?

Options
If I log 1200 or lower it won't allow me.
If I eat my maintenance calories at 1500 and burn 600 of through exercise that equals to 900. When I submit then... It works... Is this a loophole too but more calories in a healthy way? Or is this a mess up on my fitness pal.

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    pretty much on the daily
  • josh_hebert
    josh_hebert Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I close out my day because it shows me a visual representation of where I will be if I keep up the pace. So when I see that with exercise I can drop it lower that 1200 can and it shows me my goal weight sooner... It makes me want to do that more... But if it's harmful... Yaaa *kitten* that noise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can lose weight sooner. But what are the consequences? As a male, you should not be netting less than 1500 calories per day. Read this and mentally substitute 'man' for 'woman' and '1500' for '1200': https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Do you want to reach your goal weight only to have lost a lot of muscle along with fat?

What Are the Risks of Rapid Weight Loss?

Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Slight tangent...but you're a male. There's no way your maintenance is 1500 calories. 1500 calories is the the recommended lower limit for weight loss for a sedentary (no exercise) male. A male has zero business eating 1200 calories per day unless he's under a doctor's supervision.

Yup. I missed the maintenance part. A sedentary 40 year old, 5'2, 135 male would still a 1750 calorie maintenance. An average height, overweight male who does moderate exercise likely has a TDEE of at least.
  • Glotia1963
    Glotia1963 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    when on the food diary is there any way to put in carbs from a recipe with out putting in all the ingredients? The recipe tells the net carbs..