Canned soup

So I was making a can of mushroom soup today and the can is around 284 ml, but then I add half a can of water and half a can of milk (but I just did all water). The can says 120 calories for 125ml, so is that before the water is added or after? How many calories would be in the full can?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

284/125 = 2.272
    2.272 x 120 = 272.6
  • Montymcmuffin
    Montymcmuffin Posts: 7 Member
    Hey so I know basic math. I meant more is it 125 ml of just the can. Or is it 125 ml of can and the added water...
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    It is very likely it is before adding water. But the can should tell you how many serving sizes.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    What does the can say on approximate servings? Probably "around 2" or "around 2.5". Right? My math was 2.272 so it is around one of those numbers.

They would not know if you planned to use water or milk. In general if a label does not have nutrition information for a prepared status you should take it as unprepared.
  • Montymcmuffin
    Montymcmuffin Posts: 7 Member
    Okay awesome thank you so much guys!! Cans always confuse me!! I also never understand why the don’t just do even servings. Like why 2.27, why not just 2
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Because that's the size the cans they use are, and they want to make a nice sounding calories per serving size.