Calories in homemade water kefir?

Options
Does anybody know how to get an accurate calorie count of homemade water kefir?

My first step of the fermentation is 4 cups of spring water and 1/4 cup raw sugar. 2 or 3 days later I strain the grains and do a second fermentation by adding a bit of grape juice.

My milk kefir I just use the calories from the milk (even though I guess it technically changes), but confused what to do with the water since theoretically the sugar should be mostly gone.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    The sugar isn't gone, it's just dissolved. Count the sugar, all of it. A quarter cup of sugar isn't that many calories.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    The sugar isn't gone, it's just dissolved. Count the sugar, all of it. A quarter cup of sugar isn't that many calories.

Technically, the sugar should be gone or my little guys wouldn't be fermenting?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    So don't count it then.

It's not like it's thousands of calories. If the sugar is used for fuel, and you are trying so hard to be exact, why not just use a commercially-produced kefir's calorie count? I don't think anyone here is going to know any more than that.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I found this discussion where someone asked a similar question about kombucha. Maybe it will help you.

https://homebrew.stackexchange.com/questions/17529/does-kombucha-lose-calories-while-fermenting