Chicken w/o skin?

Options
akafful
akafful Posts: 64 Member
edited September 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys, I was carpooling with friends and we stopped by a Buffalo Wild Wings, I normally get the snack size traditional wings, but I have a question. When it comes to Chicken Wings or Chicken period should the rule be to take the skin off to eat healthy?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Only you can make that decision for yourself. Chicken skin is fairly caloric. You can cut quite a good amount of calories by removing the skin. It is also quite delicious. So it is a trade off. I eat chicken quite a bit that is cooked by others. Sometimes it has skin, sometimes it doesn't. I really depends on the mood I am in if I will eat the skin or not. I do enjoy it when I can, but sometimes I would rather save the calories for something else.

That doesn't have to do with "healthy", but I assume you were asking about calories.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Wing lover here. I have a dozen skin-on chicken wings every Tuesday night, as my weekly treat.

From a healthy eating perspective, sure, there are many things you can eat that are healthier than skin-on chicken wings. Like, pretty much anything else with the possible exception of Oreo cookies LOL

From a weight loss perspective, there's no rule other than to stay within your calories. Skin-on chicken wings are a lot more calories than skinless, but if you can make them fit, then why not? My weekly chicken wing fest is sometimes a challenge to make fit within my calorie allotment, but I always find a way. It can be done.

I would rather not have chicken wings at all than have a skinless chicken wing.
  • akafful
    Options
    f you peel the skin off every tiny wing you're really just wasting your money.

SMH, I did. Well, there’s always next time.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Skinless chicken will save on calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Depending on how I cook chicken thighs or breasts, I will remove the skin. But I don't see any point in removing the skin on wings. I have wings rarely, but when I do, I eat the skin.

Oh, and I save the bones in the freezer for stock.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    If the skin is not crispy, I don't eat it...soggy, flaccid chicken skin is not worth the calories.
    Cripsy skin, however...for me, is ALWAYS worth the calories.

That's my "rule", but you're entitled to make your own.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Interested to know: how big (in grams or ounces) is a "snack size" in your country?
  • akafful
    Options
    Interested to know: how big (in grams or ounces) is a "snack size" in your country?

At Buffalo Wild Wings, it’s 5 wings.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    If im going out for wings...I'll eat them with the skin. Pretty much any other cut or meal choice involving chicken, I will peel the skin off.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    akafful wrote: »
    Hey guys, I was carpooling with friends and we stopped by a Buffalo Wild Wings, I normally get the snack size traditional wings, but I have a question. When it comes to Chicken Wings or Chicken period should the rule be to take the skin off to eat healthy?

I typically buy boneless, skinless chicken thighs. But sometimes, I do get a hankering for some crispy skinned drumsticks. I make both of these selections at home.

I've never been a chicken wing kinda girl. Not enough meat to make it worth it to me.

I say eat whatever chicken you prefer and log it. 🐣
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    If the skin is not crispy, I don't eat it...soggy, flaccid chicken skin is not worth the calories.
    Cripsy skin, however...for me, is ALWAYS worth the calories.

That's my "rule", but you're entitled to make your own.

And this is why I almost always remove the skin when I'm braising chicken. I did before I started counting calories as well. It's just doesn't taste good to me.